News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Appointment with a Neurosurgeon is THIS FRIDAY!

Started by Carolina, September 07, 2016, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina

#15
Dearest Angels,

I saw the surgeon.  He's marvelous.  It turns out that my lumbar spine is pretty messy.  Surprise, surprise.

He thinks that the sudden pain, and discovery of the cyst on the MRI, may not be as related as I thought. 

There is a serious area of pressure on the nerve of my Spine at L3, above the cyst, that may have suddenly 'crossed the threshold' of pressure and is causing the pain.

So he wants to relieve that pressure point on L3, and remove the cyst at the same time.  So that means a medium sized incision.  Not 'minimally invasive' but not the larger incision that fusion would require.

If and when I have a fusion,, it will have to involve three levels.  That would be major surgery, for sure.  So many of you have been down this road, but I never ever thought I would even contemplate such a thing.

But, for now, we're getting all the 'ducks in a row' for this smaller incision and trying to relieve my current pain crisis.  About 4 doctors have to consult with the surgeon, especially my Cardiologist and my Immunologist.  He plans to use Fentanyl for pain control.

Because I have multiple health issues the surgery will be done at the Duke Medical Center Hospital in Durham.  There are more resources at that hospital if a problem develops.  I go there for several doctors and every four weeks for my IVIG so it's at the top of my GPS!

An overnight stay should be adequate, and a two or three month recovery of activity.  Surgery will probably be mid October

I took all afternoon to recover from the back pain the visit this morning produced.
I simply have to lie flat on my back to relieve my pain.

For some reason I am facing dryness worse that ever.  My eyes burn and 'water' and my mouth is like a desert.   Is this stress or an increase in the damage to my system?  Who knows.   I just treat the symptoms as best I can.  We've been running the AC full time with the constant 95 degree weather, so the air in the house is probably too dry.

It's always something!

I'm doing OK, and always here.

Hugs,  Elaine





Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

Jenny

Praying that this will alleviate your pain, at least enough for you to be mobile.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

eija

At least it wasn't the worst option. I think that sounds promising - let's pray your everything goes smoothly :)



Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Kathy57

Elaine,

How was your appointment with the Doctor?  Thinking about you and wishing you the very best!

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

SjoGirl

Oh Carolina, you have been through so much and are such a trooper. You are an inspiration!

My ex husband had open heart last year, it really was very difficult and as I understand it to be avoided if at all possible. What I have heard is that it not only affects you physically, but emotionally as well.

Best wishes for success with the procedure, whatever you choose!!
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Carebear

You are in great hands by the sound of things, Elaine.  And in the perfect facility too.  I wish you weren't in need of their expertise, of course...

So about five weeks to wait for the first and hopefully only procedure.  Fingers crossed and a prayer that this is a complete success.

The dryness could be thanks to all the things you stated, unfortunately.  But darn!  You are having 95 degree weather?  We are experiencing frost warnings up here.  Sorry.  Didn't mean to complain out loud. 

Keep doing what you're doing.  Lying flat on your back, you still run circles around me.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Deb 27

Elaine,

Well..... I guess this wasn't the worst news you could have received and it should get you out of pain in a few weeks. It sounds like you are in really  good hands. It's hard to beat Duke U. for health care! I am happy that you have that. Hang in there!!! Keep us posted!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.