News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Appointment with a Neurosurgeon is THIS FRIDAY!

Started by Carolina, September 07, 2016, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina

Dearest Angels,

I got an appointment so early because there was a cancellation. 

Of course every day in pain or flat on back seems like a week....and this has only been going  on since July 10, but it seems like years and years.

So the fabulous Duke neurosurgeon will determine what surgery I need: Minimally invasive or 'the big incision'.

Minimally invasive surgery can sometimes be an outpatient procedure and has about a month of recovery.  The big incision require a hospital stay and 9 months to a year of recovery time.

When the cardiology surgeon informed me that I had severe arterial blockages, as I lay on the table with angiogram tube still in place as he showed me the pictures of my heart, with 'the widow maker'  LAD artery 95% blocked, he asked me if I wanted by-pass surgery or angioplasties (3) with stents (2).

I said I preferred the less invasive angioplasties with stents, but I asked him what he recommended.

He said, "Do angioplasties and stents now, SAVE THE BY-PASS FOR LATER". 

17 years later I wonder when the By-Pass will be needed.

And so with this surgery I hope Dr. Hayes wants to do minimally invasive surgery now, and 'save the big incision for later'.

It is amazing how easily I have adapted to things that seemed unthinkable.  IVIG every month, for example.  And now back surgery which I always said I would never do.   Never say never, I've learned.

So this is where I am........listening to Vivaldi, looking out at a beautiful day (lots of floor to ceiling windows in my bedroom.)  I play Bridge Baron, Spider Solitaire, Words with Friends, read books, watch TV shows.  When I'm flat on my back, dosed with Medrol and Gabapentin, I feel fine.   and confined.

I never realized how hard is to be fixed to one place, no matter how pleasant.  And not to be able to do things MY WAY,

Another lesson in Patience, Persistence and Acceptance.

Hugs, Elaine



Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

irish

Well, that is really great that you got in early. Those cancellations do happen on occasion and they are great! I hope you can tough it out through your "incarceration" in your bedroom. It is tough to have to be in one place much of the time. Also hope and pray that the minimally invasive procedure will do the job and things will improve for you. Always something to keep us on our toes.

Chronic illness is the pits and the autoimmune diseases sure keep us busy trying to keep us with those things that keep popping up. Han in there. Irish

CarlaJ

I'll wish you the best on Friday and cross my fingers for the minimal surgery as well.  Hugs back to you - Carla

Joe S.

I hope things get better for you soon. You have had a time of it. Please, get better soon.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

Wishing you positive results and a short recovery time, Elaine.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

ohiolady

Wishing you the very best Elaine and praying for minimally invasive.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Jenny

Good luck Elaine. I've had 2 lumbar back fusions. My last was 3 years ago when I had 3 levels fused. The doctor first went through my stomach to do the fusion and then flipped me over and went through my back to do a Lamenectomy. I was in the hospital for 3 days and came home to recuperate. I made myself walk outside every day. First to the mailbox and after a week or so I started walking on the street, adding a house every day. First I used a walker, then a cane. I was able to go on a cruise 2 months after surgery. I had to wear a brace for four months. I still have pain but I have a fairly normal life.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Carolina

Thanks Jenny, Joe, Carebear, Anna, Irish, CarlaJ,

The Good News is that with Medrol and Gabapentin and complete bedrest, the worst of the pain is gone, and if I get up to go to the bathroom, the resulting pain subsides within minutes if I lie down again.

I had 'overdone' thing while the spinal cortisone injection was working, and had terrible pain as soon as it wore off.  And I had forgotten about the marvel of Medrol and Gabapentin and lying flat.

The Bad News is that when I got up yesterday and took hold of my walker, I just crashed to the floor, no warning.  sigh.   

I don't think I fainted, and I can't remember any 'shaking', I just don't know why I went down.  But I think it's the Gabapentin maybe?  Any way the GOOD NEWS is that I wasn't hurt a bit, and the only thing that suffered was the ramp my husband made out of plywood for the cats to climb on the bed.  I sort of broke the lower end of it at a join.

It is interesting to me that we use the word 'pain' quite easily.  On a different forum we are discussing the use of 'some discomfort'  versus ' some pain' by medical professionals.  Interesting.

Jenny your surgery sounds so brutal!  Sorry but it does...however, I'm absorbing everything since that is the way to get accustomed to new ideas, even brutal sounding ones.  And you know that living a 'fairly normal life' is a great accomplishment for most of us.

Everyone's words of encouragement are a tonic to my heart and soul right now.

Blessing on everyone and hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

Nomad

I'm glad you are working with a top notch Duke surgeon.
Also that you are getting some relief with the meds and listening to Vilvaldi!
How perfect!
You are on a great path!
Blessings! :)
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

bluegardenia

ciao carolina, i hope that your pain, or how u prefer to call it..  will soon diminish. TANTI AUGURI! FROM ITALY
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

quietdynamics

Elaine.. wishing you a solid solution to the cyst.
Yes, being limited is very disconcerting.
Needed to be off my knee for more than 2 months and got to a point where tail bone hurt from sitting so much.. lost 5 lbs as well even more muscle.
Alot of laying on my side. Gets really old, very fast.

Hoping it will be the less invasive procedure for you.
Keeping you in my thoughts...
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

nannysbaby

Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you have a speedy recovery.
Primary Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, RLS; Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Vitamin Supp., Thera Tears

SunshineDaydream

Good luck today, Elaine. I hope you get good news.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Deb 27

HI Elaine, I hope you get some good news today and some relief very soon! No matter how bad it gets, you do keep good spirits and always find a positive way to look at things!!! Keep us posted!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

eija

(Late) Friday evening already in Finland - waiting for your very good news :)

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops