News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Need to vent...

Started by Jeigh44, August 31, 2016, 01:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeigh44

I am a 35 year old male, who was recently diagnosed with Sjogrens.  I work as a personal trainer, and to most people, I appear very healthy.  I has become very frustrating to try to explain to people how badly I really feel.  They look at me as if I am exaggerating or being a hypochondriac about my disease.   

I have been dealing with constant, constant nausea, headaches, fatigue, difficulty chewing and swallowing, tingling in my feet, facial pain, and photophobia.  It is really a nightmare, and I feel like it is always something.  When I see the rheumy, I tell him that I am experiencing so many symptoms that I am afraid he thinks I am nuts.   

I am currently on rayos 4mg at night, Imuran 100mg,  Plaquenil 200mg, and Evoxac.   I do feel like these medications are helping, but I never have a day when I feel normal.   

I just wanted to vent to my fellow sjogrens suffers, and tell them that I completely understand how frustrating this disease can be.

God bless!
-J


Kathy57

J.,

So sorry that you have joined our ranks and at such a relatively young age.  I know exactly how you feel and I know that most of us have been made to feel like hypochondriacs.  It sounds like you are getting some serious treatment and that is good.

I don't know how long you have been on the Plaquinil, but I felt better after a year.  I also take several supplements that I think help.  I've learned a lot from the people here, and I hope you will too.

It is difficult to reconcile yourself to the fact that there is no cure for this.  Some days are better than others and I try to enjoy those days. 

Keep fighting the good fight and I hope you have better days ahead.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

WhatYouSjo

Hi J,

I can certainly relate to your frustrations. I am a male in my mid-30s, and I haven't felt 'normal' for years. I had to work with a number of skeptical doctors before I found a sympathetic rheumatologist. That being said, I have found some treatments that are helpful, and can still manage to live my life without too many modifications. There are precious few who know how frustrated I can be, particularly during flares, and I've generally found it to not be worth the trouble to explain to most people.

I remain hopeful that better treatments will come along in the next several years. There are promising signs in the clinical trial pipeline. In the meantime, I do my best to remain positive and hold together as well as I can. Having a community to share our experiences is definitely helpful.
Seronegative male diagnosed 2014. Using generic Plaquenil, Restasis, Xiidra, low-carb diet, moderate exercise, select supplements, helminthic therapy, & LDN. My treatment regimen

My website has posts on research and news.

Joe S.

I understand your need to vent welcome to our forum.

Some of us have listed what we take in our signatures.

I will sugest that you read " Spoon Theory" on the web to help you understand goodays and bad days.

As you learn to manage it things usually get better.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SunshineDaydream

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

Your plaquenil dose is low. Have you talked to your rheumy about increasing it? Depending on your weight, you'll probably be able to go up to 300 (splitting a pill or alternating days 200/400) or 400 per day. If you look up plaquenil dosage guidelines you'll be able to calculate. Guidelines were updated in 2011 so be sure to check date of source.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic