News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Bad end of Summer Flu

Started by angeldancer, August 22, 2016, 07:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angeldancer

This is the worst flu I have ever had in life.  I have been through 3 weeks so far of horror.  It is just us that endure such horrible flu's.  I went from not being able to breathe to horrible coughing..just when I think I see the light the head congestion is horrific.  Now most times I am completely dry...I just don't know how so much mucus can come out of a dry nose and believe me it hurts.  So keep the bloody nose from blowing.  I haven't had a bad flu since the end of 2013.

Anyway, what is the longest any of you have kept a bad flu bug?  Were there anything natural that you found to help the symptoms.

Thanks,
Angeldancer
eagles flight//

Sjogrens, Arthritis, colonrectal cancer survivor, Diverticulosis, fibromyalgia, chronic sinus, chronic pain, kidney stones,  chronic allergies, digestive tract issues, norco, plaquenil, ativan, ambien, lyrica, claritan, neuron tin, celexa,predinisome,

Nomad

#1
I had something bad this summer, although I'm not sure as bad as the flu. I had the flu in Dec. and it was hideous. The fatigue was horrible. I could not feed myself.
But, this summer, I've had some weird bad cold/cough/chest congestion "thing." It lasted about four weeks.
Started with a tickle in my throat, then a cough, then post nasal drip, then fatigue, then pressure in my chest....it was always something.
I ended up on a zpack (RX) .
I drank an entire bottle of cold and cough medicine (not all at once!) Didn't help much.
I found I needed lots and lots of rest.
I found that I liked (and am still using) hot tea with lots of fresh ginger and fresh lemon. I like a tea by Yogi called "Stomach Ease," helps the stomach but also other things. The fresh ginger and lemon are wonderful! I put the ginger and lemon into the tea and then drink up.
This seem to move things a long a little faster for me and soothed much of the congestion and so forth. I also think three tablets of oil of oregano tablets daily helped, as well as buffered vitamin C (1000 mgs) were instrumental in feeling better. I very much like an "integrative" approach to medicine. I find my body responds well this way.
Also check out my post on Zicam
Knock on wood...crossing myself and lighting a candle, I think it's over today!
Rest rest rest....
I hope you feel better asap
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Navigator

I find that it takes me months to get over illnesses now.  I had a flu- like illness over a year ago with breathing issues and it took me a year to get over it.  It sent me to a pulmonologist and having a CT scan with contrast to see what was going on.  It left me with a gift--- asthma.  I now get tightness in my chest in heat/humidity and after exercise.   I have added a rescue inhaler to my bushel of meds.

You are not alone.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

bloodless

I haven't had the flu in a very long time. I get a flu shot every year. My doc doesn't give me a choice. He also makes me keep up my pneumonia vaccination too. What you described sounded close like it might have been pneumonia or at least bronchitis. Sjoggies have to be careful with that since we are so susceptible to pluerisy and other lung issues. I'm sorry you got so ill. Take care!
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

irish

Just curious if the doc did a sputum culture of lung secretions or a nasal swab culture and sensitivity. Sometimes we can have a weird bacterial infection along with a virus and it will take forever to get rid of it.

Putting us ono antibiotics will sometimes help but if the bacteria are resistant to the antibiotic it doesn't do any good. My ENT hardly uses Zpack anymore cause he says it is like pouring water down a drain. Also be aware that sometimes we Sjoggies can have overgrowth of normal bacteria because of the abnormal mucus we produce.

I have had issues with some doctors not treating me when I grew high levels of normal bacteria. My immunologist told me I have to be treated as my body isn't working like it normally would. We have about 700 different types of normal bacteria in our mouth so an overgrowth of normal bacteria is of significance. Irish

susanep

I haven't had the actual flu in a while, but yesterday me and my hubby were both diagnosed with strep. They said just about everyone that came through their clinic yesterday had strep. We both got shots, and prescriptions called in. I feel horrible, and couldn't sleep with my c-pap without coughing from irritation down my throat so that is why I am writing at this time of morning where I live.

I hope those of you with the flu or other illnesses making your already bag of goodies get well soon.

Hugs,
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

gurs

How do they know its the flu? sounds like chronic sinusitis or something? Im miserable for the last 3 months and the allergies trigger all the nasal congestion and inflammation. Are you having daily fevers etc?

Sounds like allergies might be a trigger if its lasting this long. If you have been taking antibiotics for along time, then
you might have some fungus in your sinsues and only surgery will fix. Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses etc?

Hope your feeling better soon. I cant wait for winter!

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

bartolo

Theoretically, flu can occur year round, but now, in the summer, flu is really rare. The flu season starts in October...In flu, you usually have fever, muscle pain and fatigue.

"Mucus coming out of a dry nose" sounds like sinusitis, which can be viral or bacterial. This often goes without fever and fatigue.

If you are coughing up mucus, you may have bronchitis or even pneumonia:
http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/pneumonia/vs-bronchitis

angeldancer

Thanks everyone for the information.  I felt it was sinusitis and since I am better after taking a slew of antibiotics I must have been right.  I still have a major cough and mucous but the worst of it is over.  I just wish the fatigue would get better and I guess its not helping that I am trying to push through it.  I have to try to make money to pay my doctors since I don't have coverage for them.

Angeldancer
eagles flight//

Sjogrens, Arthritis, colonrectal cancer survivor, Diverticulosis, fibromyalgia, chronic sinus, chronic pain, kidney stones,  chronic allergies, digestive tract issues, norco, plaquenil, ativan, ambien, lyrica, claritan, neuron tin, celexa,predinisome,

gurs

Maybe giving another allergy medication a try? unless you have a fever, and this has been going on for months, I think its allergy or viral.

I feel for ya!!

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

jazzlover

Just a reminder: "Summer flu" is often Lyme disease. Make sure you weren't exposed to ticks.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease