News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Sinus Surgery Post-op issues?

Started by gurs, August 14, 2016, 05:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurs

Hi Everyone!

I had sinus surgery 2 years ago with no issues. Woke up from surgery feeling pretty good etc. We'll, had to have surgery again on Friday and Used the same doc, hospital and made sure to tell them to use the same anesthesia and other meds since I was so sensitive to them. We'll, when I woke from surgery I had on Friday, My teeth and jaw were just chattering and clenched in pain, could not grasp my breath and had a huge headache all over? The nurse assured me that this would stop in a bit. I was miserable!!! after an hour, the teeth chattering stopped and I just felt horrible. My sinus on the right side was completed blocked by old scar tissue (go figure?) and actually, that pain wasn't even bad. I noticed terrible back of the head/neck/spine pain and my ribs hurt? I was up all night with this pain and wonder if this is normal? Not sure because of the Sjogrens/lupus caused this, or maybe the doc used something different to put me under or one of the other hosts of meds they put into you.

Has anyone experienced this before? I feel so awful. My sinus area actually feels pretty good.

thanks

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

irish

#1
As an old registered nurse the first thing that came to mind is the position you were in on the surgery table. It is amazing what a bad position can do to a person for days and weeks after surgery. Headaches are common after sinus surgery but you might want to check in at the docs office also.

Secondly, did you tell the recovery nurse about all your aches and pains?? I am wondering if a doctor happened to lean on your chest during the surgery giving you the discomfort when you breath. It would be wise to call and tell the doctors office nurse about these issues also.

The shivering and chattering is not at all uncommon after anesthesia. It is a nervous response to anesthesia and I had it after several of my surgeries. Sinus and nose surgeries are pretty high on the pain level. I had deviated septum and turbinates shaved and it was one of my more painful surgeries.

The important thing is to watch for fevers, chills and increasingly feeling ill and let the doctor know. If you don't improve when you take your pain meds this could also be an indicator that there is infection or something that needs a doctors attention. Hopefully you can find answers to your issues and be able to settle in and get some rest. The first week after sinus surgery doesn't allow for much sleep. When I had the nose surgery I just slept in spurts and watched a lot of TV night and day for a while. Good luck. Irish

gurs

Thanks Irish...

Day 4..neck and spine pain a bit better. No sinus issues or pain at all. Im still feeling very out of it emotionally.
Im weeping, feeling a bit dizzy, and tummy not so great. Feels like my hormones are messed up. I know the
anesthetic and other medications can cause some of this. I also wonder if my POTS has something to do with it?

Im just hoping it gets better fast. I go back to the doc on Friday, and hopefully he will have some answers.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

jazzlover

Glad you are feeling better!

About 8 yrs ago I had sinus surgery and all was OK until the next day. My husband had to help me out of bed and when I was finally able to get up, I screamed in pain.

He had to go to work, so I camped out on the couch all day. I could barely get up even then. I found out that the muscle relaxant they used can cause muscle pain for some people. I'm talking SEVERE pain.

Fast forward to last year... Had to have the same surgery. I told them about the drug and they said OK they would not use it, but asked me for permission to use it in case of an emergency. I said OK.

All was OK and no problems afterward... WHEW!!

Can you take some Vitamin C or do an epsom salt bath to help clear things out?


PS... I have a really bad neck and I cautioned them about it. They must have been very careful because I was fine. I was really worried about it.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

gurs

I think it might have even been the anti-nausea medication they gave me years ago with my hysterectomy. I had severe reactions to two of them, and put them on my allergy list.

Since I had no issues with my sinus surgery two years ago, I told the anesthesiologist to use exact same thing, but she said she couldn't access the on-line file, and they use the standard for sinus procedures etc. We'll, right away I knew they used something different and cant wait to get to bottom of it. Im going to request my records from both surgeries. I heard the muscle relaxants can cause issues, as well as all the other medications they give us. They don't see to understand people with autoimmune and/or sensitivities how important these things are to know. Our bodies don't react the same way either, and my brother died 15 years ago from an anesthesia related drug he had reaction to.

Learning the anesthesiologist is the most important person...

Im feeling a bit better today. Still have the killer pain in the back of head/neck area. Funny how everything hurts but my sinuses? ha!!! I was thinking about the Epson salt bath too...thanks

Will discuss with my follow-up on Friday. Im sure my doc will blow it off, but again, I want to see what was used.
Im sure I will have to have surgery again in the near future.
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

gurs

I went to my ENT yesterday for my post op, and as expected, no issues with the sinus area. I told him the bad experience and how sick Im still feeling. He said since I have a host of medical issues, would be hard to pinpoint. My blood pressure is high, and Im normally low. I feel sweaty, dizzy, all the time. I gained weight without eating much, and my moods are horrible. I can barely get out of bed. My moods are off the wall.

Not sure if this is the SJS or lupus, or maybe a trigger for my POTS? going to contact my Rheumy on Monday and have her order some labs. I cant believe how sick I feel. I know surgery is huge trama on the body too...ughhhhh..another day in bed!!! so tired of this guys.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

finallyadx

So sorry you are feeling so ill...

I tend to agree that possibly bad positioning and/or someone leaning on you during surgery to access your sinuses?  But I also would say that the medications used may not have agreed with you...

Hard to tell with us if it is our illnesses, the surgery or medications.

I definitely would have lab work ordered just to be safe and stay on top of things.

Please keep us posted - rest!  Sending positive thoughts your way.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

gurs

Keep taking my blood pressure and it still seems high....140/90 if my monitor is correct. Going to call my rheumy tomorrow and she what she says. I need a natural way to get rid of some of this water I feel like Im holding on to.

thanks for all the input guys!

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Nomad

#8
I've had some improvement with inflammation using green drinks, particularly adding celery juice.
They say celery juice helps with water retention.

Recently, I had a stubborn mild bronchitis . I had some good luck with Yogi Stomach Ease Tea with added fresh ginger and fresh lemon. It helps with nausea AND congestion issues.

These are not huge differences, but enough to notice.

Maybe something here could be of help.

Blessings.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

Ask them what anesthetics they used. I had Propofol when they did my last carpal tunnel surgery. I had told the anesthesiologist what I did well with and he told me they didn't use one of those drugs. I could not believe it. I have had trouble with this clinic for years but they have the hospital in the town where all my docs are so don't have much choice.

I heard my surgeon come in and stand next to me and put his gown on. I heard hiwas hitm talking to the nurses and I heard him ask for the instrument and cut the tendon in my wrist. Fortunately the pain wasn't too bad. Worst anesthesia I ever had and I told the anesthesiologist about it afterwards. He was very rude and treated me like I was lying. I am very drug sensitive and have to be very careful. The hospital in the cities that has done about 5 of my surgeries has gotten it down pat and listen to what I tell them.

After the carpal tunnel surgery my DIL was driving me home and I was hit with a panic/anxiety attack that would not end. I have depression and I knew right away that the propofol had kicked me up into q bqd place to be. I had to call my doctor and had my antidepressant drugs and antianxiety drugs increased a lot. This reaction lasted for months and I was not a happy camper.

When I went for my recheck my I told my ortho surgeon what happened and he did a lot of documentation. I think he was also not a happy camper. It is crucial that anesthesia listens to what the patients say as it makes a huge difference in how well the surgery goes plus it is a lot safer for the patient.

Hope you get to feeling better ad figure out what caused all this. Propofol is the drug that MIchael Jackson took IV to help him sleep. I am of the opinion that it is not a wise drug to use on the older population and especially I you suffer from depression. That is my uneducation opinion. Good luck. irish

gurs

They used Propofol on me several times for my colonscopies and I had no issues. When I talked with the anesthesioloigist before, I could tell she was just going to use what she wanted, even though I explained my health history etc.
I knew mentioning it to my doc wasn't going to help, of course they are not going to say anything negative. I can request my records, which Im going to do. They use so many things, it will be hard to say. I know Ive always had a problem with anti-nausea medications. Ugggg, who knows! I think she told me they used propofol and versed, and some other things?

I seem to be retaining a lot of water and I think its increasing my BP. Funny, when I eat more, I drink more liquids, and
then urinate more, which helped last night. My BP was only 116/85 and that is after I ate some potato chips? I think Im going
to try some type of natural diuretic. The anxiety/depression seem a bit better.

Thanks Irish
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

jazzlover

Foods that are natural diuretics

bembu.com/diuretic-foods
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease