News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

strange hair loss...

Started by trc1962, March 31, 2016, 04:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trc1962

I have dealt with hair loss off and on for about 10 years. When I was 42 I was started on spironolactone and a low dose bc pill as I was growing hair all over (yuck!), plus I was dealing with seborrheic dermatitis also. After the meds took effect I still had some seb derm and discomfort and some peri oral dermatitis and flushing at times, I really had to be careful what I ate. In 2011 I was teaching and working on the side to get my nursing degree and it was too much and I had a couple of bad flares (which means muscle and soft tissue pain and weakness in my left side) and that meant some prednisone and also an increase in my Imuran. Unfortunately the Imuran hurt my liver and the treatment was...a lot of prednisone (like 40 mg) for a couple of months and then slow, slow tapering (like 18 months). The crazy thing is I had no hairloss, no seb derm, no other face, hair thing period. I was off prednisone totally for 2 years before my symptoms returned a couple of months ago with seb derm and rosacea. I am not loosing any normal terminal hair, but these little tiny hairs that are hardly formed (look like the cat but it comes from me). I am wondering since my TSH is high if my thyroid could be causing this? Maybe my ferritin is low? Or maybe it truly is the hormonal hairloss that is back. I still take spironolactone and I am not growing terminal dark hair where I shouldn't at all, just loosing the little twisty, white hairs. I know, it is just hair, but I'd like to keep what I have you know!

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

One of the symptoms of being hypothyroid is hair loss - so yes - a high TSH could be causing this. Well - not the TSH - but the thyroid malfunction.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Nymph

I have sebborrheic dermatitis, and I have hair loss frequently after a flare. Last summer I lost my 1-1 1/2" hairs that were just enough growth to where they would blend in and not stick straight out! :-/  Anyway, I always take biotin and I think that makes it grow a little faster between losses. I don't really understand your situation in terms of all the med changes but I can commiserate. I have found that a weekly rinse with apple cider vinegar and a drop of tea tree oil keeps my scalp reasonably clear. Good luck figuring it out.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

shebelle


I have developed because of our disease the hair loss syndrome, which of course using Plaquinal made it more pronounced.  My niece gave me 100% Castor Oil, along with Coconut Oil (Vitex), and Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Soap dandruff control conditioner.
I also use Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Grow and restore shampoo.  My hair has regrown.  Even in the spots whee I was developing a receding hairline, missing hair; and it is thicker and richer as it hasn't been in the last 20 years.

I don't know whether this will work for everyone, but it worked for me, and I want to share.