News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Food triggers

Started by Wal, March 04, 2016, 05:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal

Do any of you guys have food triggers? Foods that make dryness and other symptoms worse? I would be interested in hearing some of them. I think sugar may trigger an increase in normal dryness for me. Curious if it does for anyone else....

LucyD

I think many of us probably have food triggers. I also think that not eating well can cause our gut microbiome to not be in the best of shape that then leads to more inflammation. I know from experience that sugar, gluten, and dairy cause me to hurt more and be more tired. And I hate to admit it, but often out of rebellion and denial I eat them anyway - and not in moderation! What is wrong with me!?
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)
Age: 65

Sleepy In Seattle

alcohol, gluten, too many carbs in proportion to veggies/protein, too much cow dairy, too much sugar, lots of processed foods.

I feel best when I stick to a gluten-free, low-dairy, low-sugar, low-grains diet of whole, natural foods - lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, lean protein (organic meats and good-quality fish), and tons of water.

I do "cheat" every now and then and indulge in something not on that list...but it always makes me feel yucky. Sometimes it's worth it - sometimes it's not!  ;)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

jazzlover

You might want to explore "salicylates" in foods. I have salicylate sensitivity and it does make my eyes worse when I eat anything with high sals.

Even foods high in histamine will do that to me.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Judie P

Sugar and carbs does it to me.  I start getting very dry about an hour after eating it.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

gurs

Oh yes, I know certain foods really bother me. Dairy especially causing the sinuses to plug up. I try and stay away from anything with preservatives and nitrates in it as well. Its amazing how much better I feel when I don't eat much.

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

wendyoh

I never had obvious allergies when I was a kid but as I got older and SJS my food sensitivities are over the top....seems like rice/quinoa w/butter and cottage cheese is one of my only safe meals that I eat all the time
but too much dairy like yogurt even not good--gluten has been out since like 2002 or bad things happen
eggs and garlic forget it, almonds nope
makes it hard to eat out!
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Sooki

Besides my usual dietary restrictions ( never gluten, dairy, nuts, chocolate, soy) and avoiding grains, seeds, beans, etc.,   I always feel worse when I eat dry foods.  Flour (even alternative). Foods that feel dry in my mouth and need to absorb moisture to digest.  Also  black pepper (talk about hard to eat out!).  Lots of food triggers.  And yes, never overeating at any one time.


68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

wendyoh

ah Sooki--helpful observation about the "dry" aspect---I also don't usually feel too good eating even gluten free , vegan bakery....I crave it but most of the time since quit gluten its better to not try to recreate pseudo-gluten stuff like pasta etc....rice is great for me tho it seems
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

SabbraCadabra

I was reading about how nightshade family veggies are bad for inflammation, but I think it would be more difficult than gluten for me to cut out of my diet. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers...sounds like a real challenge.

Right now I'm just trying to ease into it as best I can, taking them in moderation. I was doing the same thing with gluten for a while, and I think that made things easier when I developed an allergy to it.

SunshineDaydream

Sugar and simple carbs increase my joint pain. Dairy products make my mucus thicker.

I haven't noticed any particular food or ingredient making a difference in my mouth or eye moisture level.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Critter Mama

I've heard more and more about the dietary changes and I'm overweight, so I tried this diet program that fit the bill. No dairy no gluten, only fresh organic food. By day 3 all I was doing was throwing up...I went back to eating normal..my Dr said I changed too much too fast.

trc1962

Gluten causes bad issues as does soy and soy products. I also watch sugar and try to only eat complex carbs - although once a month I have to have some fries and sauce.

gurs

Oh, gosh yes!!!! Im really starting to pinpoint mine. Dairy seems to be the worst for me, as well as anything that has preservatives, nitrates, artificial stuff. Eggs seem to bother me as well. I feel so much better when I don't eat?

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

I've discovered that sugar triggers Lichen Planus in my mouth and no sugar means infinitely fewer mouth ulcers.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!