News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Do hormones make your symptoms worse? Feeling horrible ....

Started by Gigi, January 21, 2016, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gigi

 A week before I start , my symptoms all seem to be magnified. The fatigue is horrible and I get cramps that I never had before all of this. I know I'm getting older, but I wish there was something that would alleviate these symptoms.

it is very depressing . Any help would be appreciated .


onebratt08

This is a common "complaint" by women with AI diseases and other diseases like Lyme. I wish I could help you - I go through the same crap and I haven't found much that helps me.

Dawnmist

Yes, and for years my (now fired) GP swore that hormones couldn't possibly be responsible for the increase in lower back/SI Joint pain for the 1.5-2 weeks prior to my period. He didn't know I had Sjogren's at the time - the lazy git treated me for fatigue/pain/random bouts of inflammation/gut/sinus issues etc for 22 years before it occurred to him that maybe he should actually check if there might be an autoimmune condition behind it all.

The only thing that stopped it for me was to suppress my hormonal cycle entirely using Primolut. To get that, I had to change GPs to one who was willing to actually refer me on to a Gynaecologist - the old GP had adamantely refused on multiple occasions because in his opinion there was no chance that it could possibly have been hormonal...in his words "the only hormone that could do that is Relaxin which is only generated in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, and you've never been pregnant".

Within 1 month after starting on the Primolut, the lower back pain had healed enough that I could walk without stabbing pains on each step - and there had been NO escalation of pain that month, instead of spending almost 2 weeks out of 4 struggling to walk. Now it's pretty much entirely gone.
Diagnosed Sjogrens + Fibro March 2015, SFN Confirmed March 2016, LFN (sensory) Confirmed Dec 2016, ANA 1:640 Sep 2016, SSA+/SSB+, wheat intolerant (not gluten intolerant - rye/barley are ok), Vit D, Omega3 (fish), Gabapentin, Tramadol, Celebrex, Lidocaine patches, Plaquenil, Duloxetine, Primolut

Gigi

Thank you, I need to ask my gyn about that . I've just noticed every month it gets worse. As if we don't have enough to deal with , it is only compounded . I hate this disease along w the other AI disease I have. Some days I wonder why I am here. It seems so hard to live each day , but then I know there are others that have it much worse than I do.


LucyD

Gigi, hang in there. I hope you feel better. Your post made me think about my own experience. I was only diagnosed several years ago, and I also have lower back pain that sometimes is very, very painful (along with other joints). I am now 63 so I never connected it, but I had very painful periods and horrible back pain with them and starting about a week before each one. It was probably hormone related - of course it had to be! I have always had sinus problems. I remember walking around with a bottle of "Dristan" nasal spray in my pocket when I was a little girl of 7 years old!
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)
Age: 65

Sharon

Hormones absolutely affect me! I actually have far more saliva before ovulation and before menstruation...it's odd indeed. Some pains are no doubt hormonal.
My blood tests show estrogen dominance, though from what I understand any hormonal imbalance can set things off in the body.
A friend has suggested a supplement by the name of: "Vitex agnus castus"
She claims it really helped her so I'm going to give it a try as well.
Fingers crossed.... ::)
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

gurs

Its because your estrogen levels drop...believe me. Ive been researching this for years. After my total hyster 10 years ago, I went into instant menopause overnight. My estrogen levels dropped, and ive been flaring ever since. Ive seen around 10 hormone specialist, and they all said its because of low estrogen...right before your monthly, your levels drop causing the autoimmune symptoms to be worse. You might want to try to eat some soy or something if you can, or talk to your gyno. Im tempted to try BC pills again, but with my lupus, scary...try to get your estrogen levels up if you can naturally.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Sharon

Gurs- That's not necessarily the reason in all cases, in mine for instance it's HIGH ESTROGEN which is causing issues. The problem in general is a "hormonal imbalance" of any kind.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

wendyoh

sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

cccourt1942

Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

gurs

Guess it would be best to talk with your gyno, or hormone specialist and have your hormone levels tested, especially your estrogen during this time. It might help explain better.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

SunshineDaydream

Absolutely!

If your problems are severe or worse than usual, it would be good to go to the gynecologist to rule out medical conditions.

For cramps, I use 600-800 mgs. of ibuprofen, plus heat. If at home, I use the microwavable rice heaters and alternate between placing it on my stomach, back and shoulders. If I'm going to be out and about, I use the Thermacare or other brand stick on heat patches.

For fatigue, I take iron before and while bleeding.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

onebratt08

Be careful with Vitex. It made me feel so much worse that I wanted to commit suicide (I didn't even come close to trying and I promptly quit and threw away the Vitex).

Nugget

You betcha.  My eyes always get dryer before that time of the month starts.  Joints hurt.  Tendons hurt.
Primary Sjorgren's, TheraTears Drops, TheraTears Nutrition, Restasis, and good ol' prayer.

Judie P

Interesting.  My estrogen went very high and I started bleeding and cramping again after five years of nothing.  I will be 65 in April and I have been on a Mirena IUD for five years now for progesterone to counter act the estrogen.  I started having the problem at the same time I probably starting SJS symptoms.  Interesting.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops