News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Measles

Started by Liz D., January 22, 2015, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liz D.

Should we be concerned about this measles outbreak more than the average person? I had my last booster in 1994 and wonder if that's enough?
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron

Pisces24

I would say yes due to our autoimmune systems are out of wack.  I just plain stay away from "sick" people. 

We can't have many of the vacines as they are "LIVE" vacines and we can't have the live ones. The flu and pneumonia shots are dead ones - have to request it though.  I know they are working on a dead vacine for the chicken pox but have not heard anything about measles or others.

Gingersnap

I thought we only couldn't have live vaccines if we were on immune system suppressing medications? Plaquenil isn't considered an immune suppressant but things like methotrexate are... I personally am not overly concerned but I f I were 20 years older then yes I would probably be more concerned about it. I'm more worried about my kids than me at this point though, I have young ones. When I get sick I tend to have a milder version of things than the rest of my family at times and I've wondered if it's due to my immune system possibly being over-active from the autoimmune disease...
37/F Dx sjs with lupus overlap, raynauds
Plaquenil,prednisone, gabapentin, cymbalta, zanaflex, evoxac, lidoderm patch, restasis