News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Do you ever get colds or the flu but without a runny nose?

Started by sara1980, September 06, 2013, 02:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara1980

My boyfriend and I have had a cold all week, he has a runny nose, wet cough and other typical symptoms of a cold.  I on the other hand have just had a sore throat, dry cough, fatigue, sinus pain but there is no nasal mucous.

Does anyone else experience colds or the flu without fluid production?

gphx

Yes. In my experience a guaifenesin based medication such as the plain version of Mucinex can be very helpful to thin what little mucus there is so there's something to cough up or sneeze out helping irritated lungs and sinuses heal and preventing more serious infection. If you take it, the earlier you take it the better.

Personally any other cold/flu medication covers symptoms I don't have and just makes underlying problems worse. I don't need my nose to dry out. A dry nose is part of the problem. Be careful what other medications you take and what symptoms they are designed for.

That said Sjogrens is kind of like a cold without the runny nose and cough seven days a week.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

gurs

Sounds like might be allergies?..they are in full force right now..causing so much sinus pain, dryness, sore throats, etc.  might want to try something for that. I know they have so many over-the-counter options.

I cant wait for winter!!

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Alyson Wissinger

I was just thinking about this this morning! I have a new cold...something I do with great frequency these days. My nose is just a little runny but only on one side. In recent years I have complained of how thick the mucous is. Duh. Maybe because I'm so dry?! And I was going to post a question about it then saw yours. Thanks for sharing.