News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Rheumatologist appt first one

Started by mindytyson3, January 15, 2013, 08:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindytyson3

I will be setting up an appt with a Rheumatologist when they call. This will be my first visit. My previous doctor diagnosed me with Sjogren's Syndrome. What all do I need to take with me? My previous doctor sent over all my information that they would need even my blood test results. Also, what will they do when I get there? Any testings? I figured since they got all my blood work results that, that should be all they need for the time being unless further blood work is needed or any xrays or MRIs is needed. I just need to know what to expect them to do when I get there. Thanks.  :)

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

A lot of us keep a symptoms diary. Before going to a rheumatologist make a list of the symptoms that are bothering you most and also approximately when they started.

A rheumy will usually take a medical history - so have that ready - and will usually do an exam. I'm in the UK and things can be a bit different here. My first rheumy visit did a Shirmer's test which tests for dry eyes but some people have that done at an opthamologists and not at the rheumy's.

I went armed with a list of questions I wanted to ask and I worked through them and wrote the answers down as I went along because I don't trust my memory.

They may want to arrange x-rays or scans for bits that particularly hurt - but they may not. We are all different.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Seeker

G'day mindytyson3.  It looks like you have much of what you need covered.  Have a written list of questions to ask.  Remember to write down the answers.  Take good notes.  If you are prescribed  any medications ask about what the side affects are.  Also if there is a generic brand.  Keeping good records is important.  You also have the right to ask for copies of the medical notes your doctor makes on you.  Do not be afraid to ask for them.   

Each doctor is different.  Be friendly and open.   

I hope you will find the answers you need.



Seeker

Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

mindytyson3

Quote from: Scottietottie on January 15, 2013, 03:21:17 PM
Hi  :)

A lot of us keep a symptoms diary. Before going to a rheumatologist make a list of the symptoms that are bothering you most and also approximately when they started.

A rheumy will usually take a medical history - so have that ready - and will usually do an exam. I'm in the UK and things can be a bit different here. My first rheumy visit did a Shirmer's test which tests for dry eyes but some people have that done at an opthamologists and not at the rheumy's.

I went armed with a list of questions I wanted to ask and I worked through them and wrote the answers down as I went along because I don't trust my memory.

They may want to arrange x-rays or scans for bits that particularly hurt - but they may not. We are all different.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Take care - Scottie  :)

Thank you for sharing your info with me! I do keep a diary so that will help and I have wrote down my symptoms for the Rheumatologist. :)

mindytyson3

Quote from: Seeker on January 15, 2013, 03:35:11 PM
G'day mindytyson3.  It looks like you have much of what you need covered.  Have a written list of questions to ask.  Remember to write down the answers.  Take good notes.  If you are prescribed  any medications ask about what the side affects are.  Also if there is a generic brand.  Keeping good records is important.  You also have the right to ask for copies of the medical notes your doctor makes on you.  Do not be afraid to ask for them.   

Each doctor is different.  Be friendly and open.   

I hope you will find the answers you need.



Seeker

Ok thanks and what kinds of questions would I need to ask? I am not too sure what exactly to ask ha. Thanks.

Nancy60

The Rheumy will take a history and do an exam.  they will probably want to do some of their own tests and will be looking to rule out other possible conditions (so might do other tests for those conditions), look for other autoimmune diseases, etc.  they might also refer you to other specialists (Opthomologist, Neurologist, etc...)depending on what they find.  I think questions that need to be addressed would include:

Do you think this is Sjogren's syndrome and why or why not?
Are there other conditions you think might be present, how will they be ruled in or out?
How do you treat the condition/s?
Are there lifestyle changes I need to make?
If medications are prescribed find out what they are, what they are for, what side effects are there, how long will it take for them to work etc...
How often will you need to see me?

As you discuss things other questions might come to mind, Asking questions lets the doctor know you are actively involved in the decision making and will help (hopefully) to build a good relationship from the start.

Good Luck and hope you get feeling better soon.

Nancy

mindytyson3

Quote from: Nancy60 on January 15, 2013, 05:25:12 PM
The Rheumy will take a history and do an exam.  they will probably want to do some of their own tests and will be looking to rule out other possible conditions (so might do other tests for those conditions), look for other autoimmune diseases, etc.  they might also refer you to other specialists (Opthomologist, Neurologist, etc...)depending on what they find.  I think questions that need to be addressed would include:

Do you think this is Sjogren's syndrome and why or why not?
Are there other conditions you think might be present, how will they be ruled in or out?
How do you treat the condition/s?
Are there lifestyle changes I need to make?
If medications are prescribed find out what they are, what they are for, what side effects are there, how long will it take for them to work etc...
How often will you need to see me?

As you discuss things other questions might come to mind, Asking questions lets the doctor know you are actively involved in the decision making and will help (hopefully) to build a good relationship from the start.

Good Luck and hope you get feeling better soon.

Nancy

Thank you so much! I have written these questions down! Thanks for your help! :)

eyeamdry

Mindy, we have a conversation on here sometimes when we get so mad at our drs and their dismissal of our complaints and symptoms and it might be helpful on your first visit.........As we get to know more about Sjogrens, sometimes we will go to the dr and tell him what is wrong and what he "needs to do."  Drs like our input, but they like to be the one to diagnose you and work from there when you first visit him/her.   Good luck, many rheumys are great.  I have a great one and I found her on this very board from another member.  Lucy

mindytyson3

Quote from: eyeamdry on January 15, 2013, 07:51:53 PM
Mindy, we have a conversation on here sometimes when we get so mad at our drs and their dismissal of our complaints and symptoms and it might be helpful on your first visit.........As we get to know more about Sjogrens, sometimes we will go to the dr and tell him what is wrong and what he "needs to do."  Drs like our input, but they like to be the one to diagnose you and work from there when you first visit him/her.   Good luck, many rheumys are great.  I have a great one and I found her on this very board from another member.  Lucy

Thanks! Has anyone heard of Kathy Lynn? She is a Rheumy in Macon, GA. That is the one I am suppose to go see.