News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy

Started by Joe S., July 10, 2012, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe S.

I have bee reviewing a number of article on Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. This is not like the tradition Synthetic Hormone Replacement Therapy which doctor promote but I am against for a number of reasons.

Any way has anyone tried the Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?

I am also concerned about possible cost.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

quietdynamics

#1
Here is some more info.

Please search:  health.harvard.edu/newsweek/What-are-bioidentical-hormones.htm
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

eyeamdry

Joe, I switched from traditional HRT to biodentical HRT after about 20 years on the former.  I was on bioidentical HRT and shortly after my SJS diagnosis (six months later) I was found to have breast cancer.  Obviously couldn't have been the bioidentical stuff as I was only on it a short time.  My surgeon stopped me cold turkey on bioidentical ---saying "as far as she was concerned, it was no different than the regular stuff."  My GP didn't have any problem trying me on bio when I asked him to.  I believe all thes
drs have their own private views on this stuff.  I do think my long term use of the HRT 20+ years likely had some cause of my breast cancer.  I had a seasoned gyne tell me that it did not cause any cancer and it might have even kept the cancer from getting bigger all this time.  This posting goes without any advice any way about either HRT and we are all free to do what we choose.  8)  Lucy

gurs

#3
Ive been on them for the last 5-6 years, and Im not even sure they are helping or hurting me at this point. Ive tried to tolerate any form of estrogen, even synthetic, and I get super ill..not sure if the autoimmune thing is just getting aggravated by the hormones, or lack of hormones?
All my docs are telling me I need some estrogen bad. I still use my bio-estrogen cream daily, but very small amount. I have my levels checked as well, and they are almost non-existent. I know some women have extremely high levels at 300-400, which to me, is very scary. I would say possibly a greater chance for cancers, etc.

There are so many kinds of bio-identicals as well. Some the pharmacy can compound into creams, pills, gels, etc, while others
like the patches are manufactured. The compounds made we have no idea what is going into them. Ive had multiple times where I think
they changed something and it didnt feel like it was working anymore, etc, so Im leary of this stuff. But, I would say estrogen is estrogen..no matter what form..bio-or synthetic. Just would recommend to start with the lowest doses possible and see how you do.

They can be expensive. I know a months worth of cream is about $40.00-50.00 a month, but if I could find something that really helped me feel better, I would pay $1000 (ha ha)

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

ohiolady

Joe,

I don't know if you are interested for yourself ie; testosterone or possible estrogen for your wife.  I have been on bio-identical hormones for 21 years after having a hysterectomy at a young age.  I need them to have any quality of life.  I have recently tried to lower my dose and this resulted in headaches, joint pain, lack of sleep, anxiety and lower energy.  I will continue to try to lower my dose at a very slow rate.

Dr. Oz just said yesterday, the WHI study completed in 2002 was flawed and physicians over-reacted.  They actually gave estrogen to women as old as 80 y/o, who had been off for years and this did show some negative effect.  But he gives bio-identical to women between ages 40-60 to help with symptoms.  Yes, he did emphasize bio-identical.  He uses patches, creams gels ect.  This allows the hormone to bypass the liver and results in fewer side effects.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Joe S.

With my recent broken femur I am looking into other supplements and Bio-identical hormones. My testosterone levels are near zero. I tried Androgel to the point I was bathing in it and I had no change in my levels. Later I found out it works for about 1% of men. To me it was a very useless expense.

Vitamin K2 is supposed to remove calcium deposits from your blood vessels and return to your bones. The articles that I was reading mentioned hormone replacement of testosterone and HGH to help reverse osteoporosis.

Next I have to find a doctor who has some experience with this to talk to. I have not had much luck with doctors so it may be a long search.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

quietdynamics


Joe on another forum I came across posts regarding success with Forteo/Osteoporosis

Johns Hopkins Medicine
Osteoporosis Special Report
Treating Osteoporosis with Forteo
How Does Forteo Work?
Forteo contains the active portion of parathyroid hormone, a substance naturally produced by the body and involved in the maintenance of calcium and phosphorus levels. When given once a day, Forteo stimulates the growth of new bone by increasing the number and activity of bone-forming cells called osteoblasts. As a result, bone mass and bone strength increase.

the site has a bookstore so I can't post the link / just copy and past the below into search...hope this helps
search for   johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/osteoporosis/JohnsHopkinsHealthAlertsBackPainOsteoporosis_225-1.html
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Joe S.

Interesting article. I do not like the side effects. It makes sense since we have gland issues.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

quietdynamics



I would weigh the side effects Vs. the severity of a bone/ hip fracture and all that would entail.
I know you want to do things naturally, and of course I/we do not know the severity of your bone lose. Is it progressing; at what rate?
How are you mending? So is it more prudent to try something proven vs. "supposed to" help.

But, in looking at the Bio-identical information there is no information on the type of animal, plants that are used to cultivate these chemicals...ie are they "organic".  In my mind organic plants, free range, anti-biotic/drug free animals = natural, and I don't see any mention of that.   So I think you are paying for the words/ concept.

So how are you mending and enjoying that AC???



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioidentical_hormone_replacement_therapy
I usually find the citations interesting
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Joe S.

I am walking with a crutch or cane. There are still three place where my muscles like to splint. They are responding  better to movement and I am getting stronger.

The bone loss was severe when I looked at the Xrays. There were many areas of faded bone and areas of floating bone. I was told that it may be a year yet before I can walk without help. I am trying to shorten that estimate. The therapists hear my knee and hip pop and get very concerned looks on their faces. I tell them it is normal.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

quietdynamics


What are the Drs. suggesting for the bone loss? Did they do a density test? ...will resistance exercise for your arms help with those bones?

I have to start my drive; Mom has a brain MRI @8am and other tests ...hope you stay cool and learn some "bon-e"fied information...sorry a bit corny..couldn't resist.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Joe S.

No suggestions, no tests, no exercises. I have done isometrics for years though and I often pace the length of the house for long periods of time.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

Has anyone tried to get estrogen by eating soybeans??? This has been advised to people some years ago. Seems like it would be safer than any drugs. I would think that blood tests would still be needed to make sure the estrogen levels weren't geting too high.

Joe, are you on the vitamin D and calcium regime??? THat is also the latest thing.  I am also wondering if any of the testing done on diets have shown positive effects on osteoporosis. Wondering if Mediterranean diet would have foods/oils that increase the calcium absortion and uptake by the bones. Good luck on the walking. You can do it. The hot weather sure isn't great for geting outside though, is it. Irish

Joe S.

I am taking D3 and a magnesium-calcium supplement. I have read that I should also be taking K2 to promote calcium going to bone and not to arteries. I was looking at bio-identical hormone replacement as that was also suggested in my readings.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

gurs

I just had my bone density and was horrified. Now, I have osteo from the lack of estrogen and added long-term steriod use.  My rheumy was very insistant that I try some of the osteo drugs, but I said 'No way". First time in 13 years I think she was mad at me. Im looking into other options. My alternative doctor did a bone density accuDEXA test right after that and it showed I was just fine? bones good?confusing?
I was reading about natural supplements that had great user reviews, Like one called "Bone UP" by Jarrow...Im going to try that.

What about DHEA? I know that raises testosterone and even estrogen levels. I used the Pure encapsulations brand and only took 10mg a day, but my rheumy said you can take up to 200mg...should help with the autoimmune things too?

Im using my bio-testosterone cream and I cant get my levels up either. Maybe those of us with autoimmune have issues with this? I have a friend just like me and she has the same problem..cant get the hormone levels up?  strange?

Soy Protein I think will raise the estrogen level. I was eating mcdonalds all last year and felt better and my estrogen was a bit higher, then, I stopped eating it and my levels dropped to almost nothing now. I do have some soy allergies so Im kinda stuck right now.

Good luck

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements