News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

brusing at for no reason

Started by gloria, May 31, 2012, 07:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gloria

 ??? Hi,
about 4 days ago I noticed a few grayish red spots at the site of my left inner upper thigh that looked like small bruises.
These spots got a bit larger and formed a circle measuring about 1 cm across.

Two days later two 1 mm bruises about 1 cm apart appeared at my left median cubital vein.
No blood draws or trauma has been done in that area within recent months. Yesterday a 4 mm
dry pink patchy spot appeared next to it. The center looked like it had a small skin tag. I scratched at it to
remove it. A few moments later it became red and swollen with no pain. This happened at work. I tried to hide
it with my sleeve because it looked strange.

Bruising for no reason is new to me. What do you think about this?

meow

The culprit may be the anti-inflammatories, if you are taking any. Plaquenil, MTX, fish oil,  NSAIDS of any kind, all of them can cause "thinner" blood, which means less clotting and more bruising
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

gloria

Thank you for your reply. I do take fish oil and have been for several years.
I also take Advil, but have increased the amount of times it is taken.

meow

That may be your answer then. Maybe you can take Tramadol instead of Advil. Very effective, non-narcotic, not an NSAID.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

gloria

 ;D Thank you Meow for putting this into perspective.

Sooki

If you haven't had a blood test lately, you might want to check your platelet level (a routine CBC will measure this).  Sometimes autoimmune conditions can attack platelets, leaving your blood less able to clot resulting in bruising.  It's not very common, but my mother had it (thrombocytopenia).  Prednisone is the immediate fix for it while looking for a more longterm solution.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Scottietottie

Hello  :)

I developed odd bruises a few years ago and went to my GP about them. They referred me to a haematologist. I realised that by the time the appointment came through the bruises would be likely to be gone so I took photos of them to take along.

They found the photos helpful. After further tests I was told that NSAIDs were most likely the culprit and not to take them any more.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

MissyLouWho?

I also bruise for no reason lately (only on my left leg though :o) and take a lot of NSAIDS for pain.  But I have thrombocytopenia as well which could be from the lupus and made worse by the NSAIDS.  I'm low even without the NSAIDS though. 
Funny you posted this today.  Just this morning I was just thinking of asking if anyone bruised in a particular place for no reason.  I never injure the leg, but I bruise and then after I see the bruise there is soreness like a bruise would normally hurt.  But I never remember hitting my leg.  And it's only the left.  Weird.

Gonna have to try the Tramadol.

Scottietottie

Unexplained bruising should be reported to a doc because it can have several causes. It may well be NSAIDs - but it may not! Better safe than sorry.
Take photos of the bruising when it occurs because it can change so fast.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

slccom

Be sure to mention the fish oil, too. That can make you bruise as well. Sharon

MissyLouWho?

Quote from: Scottietottie on May 31, 2012, 05:41:11 PM
Unexplained bruising should be reported to a doc because it can have several causes. It may well be NSAIDs - but it may not! Better safe than sorry.
Take photos of the bruising when it occurs because it can change so fast.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Thanks Scottie!  I did go to the rheumy last week and showed her.  She's running tests.  Just had a urine come back with protein and wbc's plus I have unexplained ankle swelling.  So I just completed a 24 hour urine and blood work.  We'll see :).