News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Taking long to heal...

Started by needahammock, October 14, 2011, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

needahammock

Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you has a hard time with your body healing from scratches, bumps, etc. I take forever to heal, get black and blues out of now where and even end up with scars that never go away. A year ago I had my left foot bunion fixed because it was painful. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago due to still having pain while I walk, stand, squat and sometimes just from doing nothing. As it turned out, after x-rays and a CTScan, one part on top of the bone still not healed  and of course, I have arthritis in there too :(. My doctor said she has never seen anything like this, so I'm a rare case  :o.

We are currently trying a bone stimulator for the next 3 months and see if that helps, if not, I'll have to have surgery again. Not a happy camper with the news. I'm hoping that the bone stimulator helps my foot to heal quickly.

Have any of you experience anything like this? Is taking a long time to heal or getting unexpected black & blues part of having SS?

Pisces24

I notice with me it takes longer for any scratches I get to heal.

Thankfully no black n blue problems. The needle sticks heal ok. Just other stuff seems to take longer.

mshistory

Oh gosh, I'm a terribly slow healer. In my early 20s, I finally had my wisdom teeth removed and I was really nervous about it so my husband kept assuring me it would be a few days of discomfort then I'd be fine. A MONTH later, I was still in so much pain I was still having to take prescription painkillers and could only eat soft foods. I had complications from both of my c-sections, and both surgeries left a noticeable scar. I get infections easily too (got one with my second c-section, and got a bladder infection from another procedure that required a catheter). I'm always the last one in the family to kick a cold too. And yes, I bruise very easily.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Joe S.

1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

jasonsmith

#4
Quote from: Joe S. on October 14, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.

With regards to blood sugar. Would the slow healing have to do with high blood sugar? I have a slow time at healing but my glucose has always been good. But I was drinking over 5 cokes a day amongst all the other sugary food. So, I was probably getting 7 times the daily allowance of sugar for most of my life.

And what is tones?

mshistory

Quote from: Joe S. on October 14, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.

My blood sugar is checked with my regular blood work and is always fine. I quit smoking in 2005. I do take a multivitamin but I'm not sure how much Vit. C is in it...I don't know what tones are either. Thank you for the suggestions  :)
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Joe S.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

babycakes

yes yes yes

i am experiencing the very symptoms since being diagnosed.  scratches and cuts seem to take ages to heal and they hurt too.  I now have brown marks where the odd scratch or cut has left a blemish.

When i had my son 4 years ago, i had excessive bleeding after the c section also and took ages for my scar to heal.  I have also noticed that i frequently have at least 3 bruises on my legs if not more pretty much all the time.

6 months ago, i fell over and hurt my hand, i feel it hasnt still recovered (even though nothing was broken) and i have a bony lump there which hurts slightly.

take care annie x

Patze

Yeah, I'm another one that takes forever to heal compared to how fast I used to before SJS/Hashimoto's (non smoker, blood sugar is good (just had it checked again), and take 500mg of C a day).

I've asked several of the docs and none of them could explain it either.  Weird.


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Jozee

I take a long time to heal too. Over a year ago I had a fat pad biopsy on my stomach. The scar is just now finally healed up and is just a scar now. Looks like a large coin slot on my tummy. Scratches take forever too.

I have always bruised VERY easily and now that I take Savella for small fiber neuropathy I bruise even easier. My husband and I are separating and due to the excessive bruises people are asking if he's hitting me. Of course, he's NOT!

warmwaters

I used to heal very well and easily, but since being on Plaquenil and prednisone, every little scratch takes forever and leaves a scar. Bruise extremely easily as well.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

susan


Haven't experience trouble healing, but tend to have constantly bruised legs. I attribute it to the prednisone and baby aspirin, but it was present to a slight degree before those meds. Docs do not seem to be concerned of course:)
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

prunella

I am very slow to heal.  Every little thing (minor surgeries, falling off my bike, cataract surgery) seems to tire my whole being.
Blood sugar is fine. Go figure. 

Bruises last forever. Some seem to appear out of nowhere, but I figure that I just have a bad memory for routine events--like crashing into furniture.

I have always bruised easily and have never been particularly agile, so I tell people the furniture jumps out at me.  ;)

Age 61; Blood type 0-; Sjogren's Dx 2005, sero-negative; plaquenil, 200-400mg/day; lunesta; vivelle dot; omega3, 4gm/day; CoQ10;  vit D3. Wheat free; dairy free. Homeopathy and acupuncture help enormously.

LizPetillo

Yes .. longer to heal ... easily bruised ... bruises last forever.

Luna

Yep, all the above for me as well. slow healer. Scar and bruise easy. It stinks.

Thanks for the tips Joe..
Rebecca