News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

How many spoons?

Started by Liz D., October 07, 2011, 02:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liz D.

I need tips on knowing how many "spoons" you should start a day off with?!  I thought I had a bunch this morning, but by 11am, I totally ran out and had to cancel my afternoon plans.  The fall is coming and I know this is my worst season for flares, etc.  Just wish I knew what each day had in store beforehand!

Thanks,

Liz D.
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron

stephL

I don't think you can ever be sure, Liz. For important appointments, I try to prepare and rest in advance. Sometimes I fall to pieces after a meal, so I've experimented with fasting or eating a light meal beforehand.

Despite my best efforts, I end up being a no-show sometimes. I missed an appointment with an immunologist last month and I'm still beating myself up over it. There are times I'm  ready to go, but I'm too exhausted to go out the door. Oh well, it can't always be helped I guess.
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

warmwaters

Good question!

Today, I had 3-4 spoons - I wanted to go to a book club meeting today. So... I had breakfast (1 spoon), went to the meeting (should have been 2 spoons, but I was super quiet, because my brain could do much - so lets call it 1 and a half spoons), and then came home. I've been parked in front of the TV since.  I'll nuke something for supper - using my last spoon

I'm in a bad place right now - usual spoon count is way higher (and don't forget we all count our spoons in our own way).


Maybe usual spoon is 5 -8 spoons for me.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Jozee

I usually start the day with 10 spoons.
Shower, make up and hair -3 spoons
I works from home so usually do about 1 1/2 hours of work by 10:30  - 4 spoons
I have to do some of my job outside the home calling on businesses -2 spoons (12pm now)
Get mail and do banking -1 spoon (it's 12:30pm now)

By 12:30 pm each day I've used all my spoons. Most times I push on through the day until be minus about 35 spoons.

At the Living Well With Chronic Illness class I've made an action plan to rest 1/2 hour mid day 4 times per week. I hope to gain a couple spoons during the day by doing that. I will still be minus spoons at the end of the day just not as many.

theosof

What is a "spoon"? I read all the posts and can't make it out.

LisaMarie

Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

Joe S.

I start my day and assume that I have no spoons. I feel better each day after I find one to use in the morning. I usually run out about 2pm and have to take a short nap of 15 minutes to 4 hours while my spoons are being washed and recycled. :)
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

susanep

I haven't really thought about how many spoons I have. It feels like I have a different number of spoons on different days.

One day like today, I got up, let the dogs out, and put on coffee, (one spoon used) I had to then sit down with something cold to drink as usual and take my morning meds.

On days we have to go somewhere like getting groceries, drug store, or the doctor, I use a couple of spoons just getting ready, and a couple more getting through the doctor visit or picking up meds.

But, if it's groceries, I have used the rest by the time we get home. Actually, have went beyond, and after helping bring in part of them , and putting them up, I crash, and I sleep most of the day the next day to rebuild any strength.

The most cooking I do is if I put something in the microwave. My husband does most of the cooking, and I do the laundry.

Taking a shower uses a two spoons. Coloring my hair uses 4 spoons.  :D

I have never just taken a daily count.

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

susan


I have quit trying to predict how many spoons I have!

I completely agree with susanep that a trip to the grocery is incredibly exhausting!!
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

Still in the hunt

sppons?, what spoons?,, mine went to Toledo a few years ago

Meld256

Joe, Never thought of my "spoons" being washed and recycled while I nap.  :D ;D

I've also never thought about how many to start with, but interesting question.

Guess I don't count on having any when I awake. Suppose if I wake with a bit of energy, I pull one from the drawer, then another as long as I can.  If I find more spoons later in the day, then I'm excited and surprised I still have some!  (guess it's a glass-half full mentality)

I don't count them anymore. I've come to realize my energy level/fatigue changes so often in a day, it's too hard to keep up with. Maybe that's just me... :-[

Joe S.

Meld:
QuoteI don't count them anymore. I've come to realize my energy level/fatigue changes so often in a day, it's too hard to keep up with.

You said so well what I was trying to get at with my nap.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

amberjolie1

I'm the same as Jozee, regardless of how many spoons I have, I have so much to do in the day, that I usually end up with minus spoons at the end.

I can't really try to count my spoons because I work full time and take care of three kids when I get home.  I don't consider myself as having any choice in the matter because my husband also has an AI disease and we can't afford to both be on disability.

If I feel myself running out of spoons, I try to slow down.  That's about all I can do.

Jozee

I too feel grocery shopping is the worst! I can have a pretty good day and one trip into the grocery store and it's over for me for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I feel like it's the lighting in the stores, the hard floors or maybe it's because the grocery store is like an ice box to me.

I coupon now and save a lot of money but the very down side to that is it takes me twice as long to get my groceries. And the riding carts are way too small since I get groceries so rarely I end up with a large cart full.

Today I sealed the back splash in my kitchen which was super easy but a lot of standing. When I finished my legs and feet were killing me but I had to get groceries so my coupons would not expire!

Needless to say...I am in more pain tonight then I have been in a long time. I'd say this pain is in one of the top 10 worst days I can remember. Going to be a long sleepless night.

I used to take Benedryl to help me sleep but now that I wear the Butrans patch I forgot to ask my Dr. if it is ok. He's on vacation for 2 weeks so I will ask when he gets back.

Anyway...seems like grocery shopping is a 10 spoon activity.

puccini914

I buy Boost supplement drinks and find they really help.  They give me a bit of extra nutrition when I'm waning and pick me up, that and more coffee. LOL