News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Living Well With Chronic Illness

Started by Jozee, October 06, 2011, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jozee

I went to my first Living Well With Chronic Illness workshop tonight. It's put on by the Department Of Humans Services. This was the first class these ladies taught but it was really good. I am excited and hoping to learn a lot. We set goals for each week. Everyone set goals of things they were going to "do". My goal was making sure I lay down for a half hour a day at least 4 days a week.

I need to relax more and get some quiet time.

Excited for my next class. There may be one of these classes in your area. My sister who lives across the state told me about it.

i think you can google it to find one.

Joe S.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

Thanks Jozee,
I am going to look into this!  Thank you so much for the post:-)

Carebear

Hi Jozee,

I attended a similar 6 week workshop this summer, and gathered a lot of insight and tools that I continue to use daily.  Most significantly, I felt for the first time since my "Sjogren's journey" began, that I am not alone.  I met so many strong and courageous people...it was inspiring.  :D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Meld256

Jozee,

So glad that you found the workshop and it's helpful.  ;)  I would love to find one myself. 

Carebear,
I remember you telling us about going to your workshop this summer.  I meant to ask you then if you possibly had any material that you could share with us? If it's too involved, don't bother.  But if you have a link or something you might feel like posting, I, for one would really be interested and I think others would, too.  ;)

Carebear

Hi Melinda,

You have such a good memory!  And you are too kind to ask me to share this information with everyone.  This particular program is only available to those who live in Alberta, Canada, but this link may help you find something like it in your own state or province:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service&rid=1054851

As you will see, it is based on the Self-Management Stanford Chronic Disease Workshop developed at Stanford University.  It included a relaxation CD, a workbook, and a reference book written by the team in Alberta.

I have also recently signed up for a four day Rheumatoid Arthritis Education Program which is offered at the teaching hospital.  It includes the disciplines of physical therapy, occupational therapy, rheumatology, dietary, psychology, and
pharmacy.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

A66eyroad

I was doing a search for a class like this in my neck of the woods, and came across this really great article about living with chronic illness:  http://draletta.typepad.com/explorewhatsnext/2010/07/5-rules-for-living-with-chronic-illness.html
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

engy

Great article. I took a lot from the part about inner circles. I need to remember to only tell the truth of how I feel to my inner circle & everyone else say, "I'm fine!"

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Jozee

Wow! Great article and so many others on there too. When I was done reading and clicked off it I'd forgotten I started out on this web site.  :o

Patze

Thanks for the article A66eyroad!  Number 3 is the one I have the most trouble with, and I sure need to learn to do better (tougher when you have to work unpredictable hours).


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Meld256

Carebear,

Sometimes my memory works!  ;) We have quite a few Canadian members, so I hopefully other programs like this can be found in many provinces, and in US states, too.  Thanks so much for posting the link! 

I'm wondering if the study materials might be found through Amazon.  Think I'll be researching a bit more.
The RA education program you've signed up for sounds wonderful, too.  You are showing us all how to take positive steps in caring for ourselves and making the best of life.  :D ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Melinda

Carebear

#11
The U.S. edition of the book is available on Amazon:

"Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions"

Not all chapters will pertain to you situation but most will.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Meld256

#12
Thank you! Carebear  8) ;)  I edited just a bit so we didn't have the specific web address, but very much appreciate the information.

Meld256

A66eyroad,

That's a great article.  Thanks so much for posting! Very valuable information on how to manage our "new lives."   ;)

I also saw an article at the same site under Chronic Illness about living with limitations.  That seems to be something a majority of us struggle with; great suggestions in this article.

Carebear

Oops.   :-[  Sorry Melinda.  I guess I can blame it on the fatigue.  I just finished making three large apple pies (using apples from the yard) for our Thanksgiving dinner on Monday.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.