News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

More blood lab results in

Started by LisaMarie, October 01, 2011, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisaMarie

The other day, the PA ordered more blood.  Some results came in this morning:

So far, this is what we have collectively:

COMPR METAB PANEL   

  • Marked as not being right:
    ALT   38   10 - 35   U/L   H
    ANION GAP   6   7 - 15   mmol/L   L

VITAMIN B12   Showing all is normal
T3, FREE     Showing all is normal at 2.8
T4, FREE   Showing all is normal at 1.02
ANA    Negative
SSA-SSB ANTIBODY   All negative
RHEUMATOID FACTOR   <7
CRP HIGH SENSITIVITY   normal at 2.21
CBC/DIFF   All showing normal 
LIPID PANEL   CHOLESTEROL high at 201  (Something new for me)
25-HYDROXY VITAMIN D   Low at 17.4
TSH   Normal at 3.87
GLUCOSE   Normal at 95

Not sure if there are more to come in from the other day or not. 

The results are giberish to me...All I know is that I want to feel like myself again.
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

LisaMarie

#1
Btw....would that be what causes some pain/discomfort in my chest/heart?  The low anion gap level?

Oh something else I just noticed with my online medical record system....this appears on my first screen now:

Information for Your Health
Understanding Lupus

Systemic lupus is a disease that causes your body?s immune system to attack its own cells and tissues. This can affect your joints and organs, such as the skin and kidneys. Lupus is most common in young adult women. It is an ongoing problem that can be serious, but it doesn?t have to prevent you from doing the things you enjoy. You can help control lupus by living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Be sure to see your doctor for regular checkups and lab work. At some point, your doctor may send you to a rheumatologist (a doctor who specializes in lupus, arthritis, and other related diseases).

Full Story ...

An indication they think I may have lupus??????
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

irish

I haven't seen a whole lot of stuff of significance yet. Normally, most docs will do the double stranded DNA to check for lupus

However, just because you don't have a lot of positive blood work doesn't mean that you don't have something wrong. Sometimes it takes months/years to get a diagnosis. Meanwhile the best the docs can do for you is to treat your symptoms.

I would assume that you have more tests coming. Do not panic about anything until you see your doctor as they are the ones who put all the symptoms together along with the blood work and decided what is going on. Sometimes they don't know either and they will send us to another specialist. Took me many, many years to prove that there was something wrong with me. Irish ;D

Scottietottie

Hi LisaMarie  :)

I would query 3.87 as being a 'normal' TSH result. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I feel ill if my TSH is anything above 2 and I feel best when it's lower than that.  My understanding is that in the US 'normal' is now between 0.3 and 3. (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong) At 3.87 I would be asking my doc for a raise in thyroid meds.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Calli66

The TSH at 3.87 is kind of high----you could be hypothyroid. Lots of people are symptomatic at that level. Having Hashimoto's, where the thyroid hormone levels can go up and down ---this can give you some heart symptoms, arrhythmia, racing heart rate, too slow heart rate, etc.  Not sure about the Free T3 and Free T4 because the reference ranges aren't given.

Doctors don't tend to mention the role of electrolyte balance in some heart symptoms. If the heart cells don't have the proper ratio of potassium to sodium (4:1) and enough magnesium, then you can have arrhythmia. If you could have the doctor order the minerals test, that would be good info to have. In the meantime, cut down your salt (sodium) intake drastically, and add lots of potassium foods like tomato juice (low sodium), bananas, spinach, almonds, etc. Take a magnesium supplement (chelated mag, mag glycinate are good ones)---start by adding 200 mg a day and go up from there to bowel tolerance.

Your Vitamin D levels are too low, which lots of us have---the doc should give you special supplements to bring that up.

I don't know if any of these cause chest pain. Although, if your heart is beating fast and working hard, it could cause pain.

C
(I get the potassium-sodium-magnesium guidelines from my online AFib forum. Following the recommendations has really helped me lessen my AFib episodes and helps calm my heart---no more "thudding" and less skipping. PM me if you want the forum info).

aussie mum

From what I have read, I think your TSH and Cholesterol levels are a sign of an under active Thyroid.
I wonder where your FT3 & FT4 levels actually fit within the "normal" range.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Aussie Mum
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

jazzlover

anion gap????

your Vit D level is very low
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

LisaMarie

For those that asked.....

T3, FREE   2.8
T4, FREE   1.02

Today's biggest feeling was the feeling of tightness in the chest...like I was having a panic attack.
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

engy


That also sounds like thyroid to me.

hmmmmm, I'm sorry you don't have answers.

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Bella

Hi,

I agree with what the others have said:  TSH is higher than optimal, and although you didn't give the normal ranges for fT3 or fT4, they sound like they are "low normal".  Many people on the thyroid forums shoot for a fT4 midrange, and fT3 upper third of range. 

High cholesterol can be primary, but it can also be secondary to something else, like thyroid problems, so it could certainly be explained by that.

I agree, your Vit D is way low.  Hopefully, your doctor is also checking ferritin and iron.

Your doctor should have run a check for the antibodies to the thyroid, TPO and ThyAB.  If not, I would advise you ask him to do so, with your symptoms, it's important to rule that out.  With Hashi's thyroid problem, you can experience what are called "thyroid storms", when the inflamed thyroid follicles rupture and dump thyroid hormone into the bloodstream.  This is one potential cause of panicky feelings, high heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms, sweating, etc.  Of course, there could be other reasons for your symptoms too, but doing the tests for antibodies is important for this reason.

Was your glucose a fasting glucose?  If so, it's a tad high, but this could also be secondary to thyroid problems.

The ALT is a test for liver enzymes, it's just a little out, so I wouldn't panic about it right now, it could be due to any number of reasons.  I'm sure your doc noticed it, and hopefully will recheck it again in the future to help determine if there's a trend or not.

I have Hashi's, and have just now gotten my TSH down to 3.7 . . . . I plan on going much lower, as this is still symptomatic for me.  In fact, right now, my bloodwork for thyroid hormones looks a lot like yours, and I consider myself definitely hypothyroid still.

There are some good thyroid forums out there, if you're interested, I think we can post a link.  That would help you to understand the thyroid aspect of your bloodwork a little better at least. 




LisaMarie

Not sure if they have any other outstanding blood work results to give me or not yet.  I tell you what...waiting to get into to see the rheumatologist is really bothering me!  I have to wait until Oct. 11th. 

It's funny how I start noticing other symptoms that I've had for awhile now...Low Blood Pressure...sometimes to the point that I feel light headed, dizzy, etc.  I don't have the red butterfly rash on my face but on the front to the sides of my neck I have a maroon type rash that fades in and out.  I also get bumps on my scalp...mainly around the hairline but some throughout the scalp.  They come and go.  I get them on my neck especially behind my ears.  I get some on the front (not as many) and on my collar bone area.  I'm a picker so I can't tell how they really present because I have always thought they were pimples and keep squeezing them....I know I know...I shouldn't.  They do go away pretty well.  They get scabs and I don't pick them as much then.  They just flake away.  My nose right at the tip gets red and will get bump that isn't a pimple but painful.

Lately my period has been weird.  Please stop reading now if this is TMI - It comes about 3 weeks apart...usually I'm 4-5 weeks apart.  I usually only bleed for one-two days then spot for 1-2 more.  Lately I've been bleeding for 4 days and spotting for 3.  I know...for most women, they would love to have that.  But it is unlike me.  I want my light ones back...I use to love only having to buy panty liners.  I never use tampons because I would be so dry that I always felt as if I was ripping my insides out when removing them.

OK....that topic is done.  lol

Well, I'm out to celebrate my dad's 75th birthday with brunch.  I've saved my spoons for him today!  It's been a lazy morning....grrr...with snow!
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

Patze

Hi LisaMarie,

I agree with the others, I would talk to your doctor about possibly working on getting your TSH down a bit.  Some of your symptoms also seems to follow being hypothyroid (high cholesterol, low blood pressure/temperature, problems with menses among many), and I would either talk to your primary or see if you can get an appointment with an endocrinologist.

Yeah, waiting to see the rheumy or any doctor can be nerve wracking! :)  I see mine in a couple of weeks, ugh; like him, but he can daunting.

Have fun at your dads party, and take care of yourself, okay?



Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Liz D.

I have a question about thyroid.  With her THS at 3.87, it does seem to be on the high side.  My levels are in the threes, too.  Does that mean more levoxyl is needed or less levoxyl?  Which brings that numbers down more?

Liz D.
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron

gold55

LisaMarie,
Do you mind me asking what you think the bumps on your scalp indicate?  thanx
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

Carebear

Hi Liz D,

To answer your TSH question:

Higher TSH = Underactivev Thyroid OR HYPOTHYROIDISM (increase medication)
Lower TSH = Overactive Thyroid OR HYPERTHYROIDISM (decrease medication)

It is confusing.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.