News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Hair Loss and what helps it--and a question

Started by 4Kids, August 26, 2011, 10:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Kids

I have lost about half my hair. I have A LOT, you would never know. This loss leaves me with the amount of hair most people have, but it is still falling out. Since about early winter, about 1/2.

My rheumatologist didn't want to put me on Plaquenil. Will that help this? Does anyone have medical documentation on why Plaquenil is important to try and stop the progression? Or halt symptoms? That might help me get it if it does help when I see her in October.

Also, 3 months after Salagen, I am stilll very dry in the mouth, throat and nose. When I have the max dose (5mg x 6times a day) I have a dry mouth with nothing in my mouth, and somewhat moist with a candy etc. I don't have enough saliva to keep thrush down.  Would it be safe to ask to switch to Evoxac? By the time I see her, continuing this way, it will have been 4 months.

Thanks for any help.

Jackie
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

mshistory

According to my rheumy, yes, Plaquenil can help with hair loss if it is being casued by Sjogren's. I've lost a lot of hair, too, but I didn't have a lot to begin with, unfortunately  :(

Why didn't your rheumy want to put you on Plaquenil!? Assuming your thyroid is fine, which can also cause sudden hair loss, I do think Plaquenil can help along with helping other common symptoms of SS like fatigue and joint pain (although I'm still waiting for this - I'm guessing I haven't been on it long enough, because yesterday, my whole body just felt it simply did NOT want to move. It was that hit-by-a-truck feeling. So fun  ;) )

I don't have any experience with Salagen, but I hope your rheumy is at least open to letting you try Plaquenil to see if it helps your symptoms!

Sharyn
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Rose G

I actually have hair loss from plaquenil.  I read on here how some people had that and I had noticed hair falling on my arms.  I looked it up on line and sure enough, hair loss can be a side effect.  I also still look like I have plenty but I am worried about that in the long term.  I only take 200 mg per day and only for about 5 months.

I may have to stop it for that and other side effects.  I guess I will have to way my benefits against the side effects.  My rheumy did and does prescribe plaq as first line defense for SS but when I mentioned that many say it slows down progression, she did not agree with that.  She just thinks it really helps with your symptoms of joint pain and fatigue (does not help with the dry issues)  I did not, however, have hair loss before taking plaquenil.
SS, gastroparesis, Lisonopril, protonix, multivitamin, calcium with D3, ambien cr.

eyeamdry

Evoxac gives me better results than Salagen.  Like the others, I can't see why your doc doesn't want to try Plaquenil.

I don't think Plaquenil gives most ppl more or thicker hair.  Me and many on here have complained about the loss and thinning of hair.  Lucy

season

I suffered major hair loss from taking plaquenil.

jazzlover

I had tons of hair falling out recently.......got some Nizoral shampoo and things are back to normal again!!!!!!!!!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

craftkeeper

 I'm afraid i to have lost an extreme amount of hair due to the Plaquenil. MY doctor wants me to start Biotin and B12.  He says this will stop it, so we shall see.

Kerrikins

In my opinion, if you are already having sjs hair loss without being on plaquenil, then it can't hurt to try it. This is my case. For about the first month I was on it my loss picked up even more but then it stabilized and my hair volume improved some. During flares even plaquenil can't stop the dramatic loss but in between flares it does seem to stabalize things.

I'm on B12, 10mg biotin and 200 alpha lipoic acid. It may help a touch between flares but it definitely does NOT help during a flare. I've lost a significant amount in the last month since I've been flaring. It's sad but I think there's really nothing we can do to reverse or stop AI related hair issues.

eyeamdry

My rheumy also told me to take Biotin.  I have been out of it for awhile,l will have to get some by golly.  Lucy

mshistory

Quote from: Kerrikins on August 27, 2011, 10:42:22 AM
In my opinion, if you are already having sjs hair loss without being on plaquenil, then it can't hurt to try it. This is my case. For about the first month I was on it my loss picked up even more but then it stabilized and my hair volume improved some. During flares even plaquenil can't stop the dramatic loss but in between flares it does seem to stabalize things.

I'm on B12, 10mg biotin and 200 alpha lipoic acid. It may help a touch between flares but it definitely does NOT help during a flare. I've lost a significant amount in the last month since I've been flaring. It's sad but I think there's really nothing we can do to reverse or stop AI related hair issues.

Yep, that's exactly what my rheumy told me. Whatever our flare symptoms are, they're still going to happen so the Plaquenil won't completely stop hair loss, joint pain, fatigue, etc.

My dermatologist is a hair loss specialist and told me Plaquenil doesn't cause hair loss and that she uses it to help treat AI related hair loss conditions...of course, I had heard a lot of stories of people saying their hair thinned out while on Plaquenil so I was really surprised that she said that. For those who stopped taking it, did you hair grow back once you were off Plaquenil?
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

jazzlover

Quote from: craftkeeper on August 27, 2011, 10:31:26 AM
I'm afraid i to have lost an extreme amount of hair due to the Plaquenil. MY doctor wants me to start Biotin and B12.  He says this will stop it, so we shall see.
-
I've been doing B12 shots for 6-7 yrs .. biotin for at least 6 months... nothing helped until I used the Nizoral... jus sayin'
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Joe S.

For facial hair loss, the Native American males would pull it out by the roots.

You could also use chemotherapy to remove body hair.

Electrolysis is used to remove hair also.

Those are about all that I can think of off the top of my head.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

jazzlover

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Butterfly

Rogaine works wonders if you can tolerate it. It's pretty easy to use as well.

Joe S.

Oh, my mistake.

Try listening to the {tones} on this link: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#6.

3-5 minutes per tone 1-3 times per day.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism