News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Dissapointed Today

Started by susanep, December 01, 2010, 09:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meld256

I also put up a small tree with lights. I took me two days and my husband's help, but we got it done! ;)  We are enjoying the simple things, and trying to feel blessed for what we do have and what I am able to accomplish.

I've never been a big holiday spender, but even more in the last few years, the simple things have definately become the most important. We have lost family members, finances and health, but we are still here and fighting. Yes, I get down and bummed out sometimes with what I can't do but I try my best to remember that I really do have a lot to be thankful for: a loving husband, good family, and a few good and understanding friends. Got a warm roof over my head, and something nutritious to eat.

Hope you all have a good weekend.
Melinda

MiJoy

YES! YES! To thanksgivings for a loving husband, children, & other family. They are my lifeline. I'm learning more & more to treasure them as precious jewels in my life. No Christmas up yet, but plan to get started tomorrow. Our son will be home from college next weekend, so we'll wait to put the tree up then. Looking forward to simple together times with family this Christmas.

Hope each of you find family/friends to enjoy simple together times with.

jasonsmith

How much money can you save up to live off of while you are awaiting social security disability? I think I read somewhere you can only have up to $2k in assets or your claim would be denied. Kinda makes it hard to save up so you can live off something while awaiting 2 years or however long it takes to get approved.

I think there are conditions like Sjogren's where it is like walking around with a broken leg. Sure you can walk around, but eventually you have to stop. So, you should try and save up what you can till you know you have to stop as you can see it coming.

Meld256

jasonsmith,

I saw this as your first post, so...welcome to Sjogren's World!  ;) I think you will find lots of information here and support.
It's a wealth of information.

In regard to your question,
There are 2 separate programs:
One is for SS Disability, which is based only on disability with no income/ asset limits. So, someone can be quite well-off financially and it have nothing to do with their claim for disability being approved or denied.

The 2nd program is SS Supplemental Income or SSI and IS affected by someone's financial assets. This is the part where that comes into play. Someone cannot have or own more than $2,000 in assets as an individual (or $3,000 as a couple) to be approved for SSI. They also would need to be slated to receive less than $624 per month for disability benefits to be eligible.
SSI is for those who are low-income to help offset their other costs of living.
p.s. Usually one applies for both programs together if there's any question of receiving SSI along with Disability. Great info. about this on the Social Security website. But, hope this helps! If someone can save before they know they will need to apply for disability, that sounds like a good idea.

Take care,
Melinda

jasonsmith

Quote from: Meld256 on December 08, 2010, 03:07:32 AM
jasonsmith,

I saw this as your first post, so...welcome to Sjogren's World!  ;) I think you will find lots of information here and support.
It's a wealth of information.

In regard to your question,
There are 2 separate programs:
One is for SS Disability, which is based only on disability with no income/ asset limits. So, someone can be quite well-off financially and it have nothing to do with their claim for disability being approved or denied.

The 2nd program is SS Supplemental Income or SSI and IS affected by someone's financial assets. This is the part where that comes into play. Someone cannot have or own more than $2,000 in assets as an individual (or $3,000 as a couple) to be approved for SSI. They also would need to be slated to receive less than $624 per month for disability benefits to be eligible.
SSI is for those who are low-income to help offset their other costs of living.
p.s. Usually one applies for both programs together if there's any question of receiving SSI along with Disability. Great info. about this on the Social Security website. But, hope this helps! If someone can save before they know they will need to apply for disability, that sounds like a good idea.

Take care,
Melinda

Thanks. It sure is hard to type as I can't see what I'm typing since the page keeps scrolling back up on me after every letter I type. I guess the post is too long and it keeps wanting to scroll up everytime I type a letter. Yes, I was referring to full disability. ie, you can't work anymore. And had read of a $2k limit you can have in assets. Which would make it hard to live on for 2 years like that. But looks like that was about the SSI.

harlin

Social Security is so hard to get. I have been at it since May and I s/w the lawyer the other day and they had a decission on 12/18/10 but the Fed review board pulled it for review. Just my luck. I still don't know if I have been approved or not. I should here something within 10 days. Wish me luck.
Sending love and prayers your way, susanep.
harlin

jasonsmith

I've read in order to get approved within a 90 day period that they "say" it takes. That you have to have really good documentation upfront. ie. they don't have to ask for it later. And it usually has to be something obvious, ie. blindness, or some other serious disease that is widely accepted as being disabling.

Meld256

harlin,

I want to send you some encouragement!  ;) I also began my SSDI "journey" in May and was approved Nov. 1.

I was also in the awful waiting period for a week or two where I heard that it most likelywas approved, but my case was sent to a federal review board, too. That may be quite common. It took about 10 days until I received my award letter from SS letting me know of the offical approval. So...it may be a very positive thing that your case went to a review!
Sending you blessings and prayers for a quick answer.

susanep,
Hope your week is going well. May I ask what crafting you're doing?
Take care,
Melinda

Redetha1

I am not sure how old you are but it you don't make disability and you reach 62, at least apply for regular social security at that time.  I am going to do that next summer.  I am thinking about you.  Hugs, Redetha...give me an email when you can.

susanep

Hi Everyone- I am sorry to not get back with you until today. Just a few hours ago I regained my phone and internet service. It and TV both had been cut due to lack of funds.

Not complaining, just explaining. Mostly I missed terribly all of you here.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Well, here is what ended up happening. After being turned down on disability one day, we knew we couldn't last any longer without some money. We told them to go ahead and drop any further attempts at my pension disability, and just put in for my regular retirement disability through my school.

They didn't want to do that, said that we could appeal them also, and that a doctor had sent in some extra couple of papers, and that might do it. I didn't know what new info could make any difference so I went ahead and wrote a letter to be faxed to them to discontinue the former.

Miracles do happen!! They left a message on our few minutes left on a cell phone. To make a long story shorter. The morning they received my letter to stop any further disability retirement attempts the same morning they received a letter saying I was approved for the retirement disability. :o

We didn't know what to think. All I know is that I told God it was ok the night before.

The 600 dollars is less though anyway, after they take out for the government. so it's still less, but also would have the 500 amount been more like 400 something after taxes.

Nevertheless, we at least are not in the penniless situation as before. They also paid me for the previous months since August. So that is how we caught up on House, and utilities back on, a big pharmacy bill paid,  and a couple of Christmas Presents, but not many. My Christmas present is being back on line.

We have also had snow, ice, freezing rain, sleet, in East Tennessee.

Thanks Everyone and Merry Christmas
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

BonusMom

A Christmas Miracle!  That's wonderful news, Susan. so happy that your application for disability was approved.  I know it wasn't any easy decision for you, leaving your teaching career, but this confirms that your decision was the right one.

Sha

I'm so happy it worked out! Glad to see ya back! Merry christmas!:-)

Sha

jasonsmith

Is this disability you got through your job/private insurance, or is it regular SSDI?

I get a letter every year telling me how much I'd get a month if I got disability from the government. And wondered how accurate that amount is they say I'd get in that letter every year.

eyeamdry

Jason, I think that amount would be pretty accurate if a person has been working all along and had enough time in the system. 

irish

Oh Susan, You are not of little faith, my girl. Praise the Lord for getting the disability approved. Now you have an idea of what you have and what you need. Hopefully, you can maintain and the county will continue to help you out.

YOu have been through so much and have worked so hard and so faithfully at the school. I hope and pray that you can enjoy the internet, a warm home with TV, your husband and your 4 dogs.

Spring is a long way off but Spring brings hope and hopefully you can do a little tutoring at home to bring in a little cash. Even a 100$ a month extra can make a difference. Hang in there girl. Irish ;D