News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Chiropractic treatment for SJS?

Started by DragonflyC, July 21, 2010, 06:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonflyC

My chiropractor says that chiropractic adjustments will help treat my Sjogren's.  Has anyone had considerable relief of Sjogren's symptoms from chiropractic treatments? 

--C.



eyeamdry

I would guess that many (or all) chiropractors might say they could possibly help SJS.  I would be one not to believe them, but that doesn't mean they can't.  It's just that I would not go to them for it.  Lucy

warmwaters

I guess I'd be skeptical - I can imagine how chiropractic treatment could assist in problems related to alignment of muscles, bones and joints, but I'm not sure how it could have an impact on things like T-cells and B-cells, and all the autoimmune "stuff".

It might be helpful in the way that massage can be - if it makes you feel better in general, more relaxed, in less pain.

Maybe the question to ask of the person proposing it is, how does it work? What does it do? How many other patients has s/he treated for Sjogren's?
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Joy Cox

Daughter that has Sjogrens was home from Atlanta area last weekend and mentioned she was having chiropractic treatments in her neck and shoulder areas. She LOVES it and says he realigns her and she FEELS GOOD!  I have always had massages...different strokes for Mom and daughter!!!! ;)

Nowadays, I'm in PT for by lower back and plan to get help in neck and shoulder area next. :)  Bring it on!!!!

eyeamdry

I would want my rheum to know I was having this.  Don't forget, Sjogrens can mess with our joints big time and it may not bother you to have them snap, crackle and pop--but I'd think twice--and check with rheumy or GP.  We don't want anyone to get hurt. 

My doctor is an orthopedic doc who does the "bending" and if I have a crick anywhere I've had him fix it.  I will say I have not had anything done since I've had SJS and would also ask him to make sure before he did any snapping.  LucyMassage is about the only thing that shouldn't hurt and will make you feel better.  I want one now.

katyjo

Sometimes streching doesn't get all the kinks out out of your body.  If you find a chiropractor that is pretty good you will feel the instant relief of a tight neck or back.  When my back is feeling really tight, adjustments two days in a row helps a lot.   Chiropractors believe that spine health is the very important to overall health.  I like massages but chiropractic treatment is the quick way to relax the muscles.   I don't believe it cures SJ but if you happen to find a chiropractor that you like, you might feel lots better.  It's all about feeling better to get through the day. 

DragonflyC

He said that when the body is out of balance/alignment and we get too caught up in stress, AI diseases occur.  He feels that AI conditions should not be handled by standard medical interventions, but rather through chiropractic adjustments, diet, exercise, and meditation.  I use the first three approaches, though I can't sit still long enough for the fourth.  It certainly hasn't cured me or helped me to the point where I don't need my meds anymore. 

It was kind of a weird conversation, started by my question about a slideshow on his waiting room television that claimed chiropractic treatments can enhance our "innate intelligence."  I asked what that meant, and he said that it's the body's intelligence.  The body is naturally self-healing, but stress and something about our frontal cortex (I might have that wrong) can keep our bodies from healing themselves.  AI diseases, in which the body attacks itself, indicate a problem within that must be solved from within, not from outside treatments like meds.

It's probably no surprise that I was skeptical.  I tend to lean towards a combined approach of natural and medical interventions, though I do believe that stress played a significant role in the on-set of each of my illnesses.   

Joy Cox

#7
Quote from: Joy Cox on July 21, 2010, 07:21:57 PM
Daughter that has Sjogrens was home from Atlanta area last weekend and mentioned she was having chiropractic treatments in her neck and shoulder areas. She LOVES it and says he realigns her and she FEELS GOOD!  I have always had massages...different strokes for Mom and daughter!!!! ;)

Nowadays, I'm in PT for by lower back and plan to get help in neck and shoulder area next. :)  Bring it on!!!!

Today makes the third time hubby has gone with me to PT (Physical Therapy as prescribed by rheumy at Duke Med. Ctr) done at local hospital by registered Physical Therapist.

Today, my hubby 'fine tuned' his ability to stretch my legs. Ever see a football game and the trainer runs out to guy lying on field and holds his leg at 90 degrees and does something?  Well, I'm here to tell you as a female... it sure helps, even me!!!!  

And, my hubby passed inspection for his ability to do what is termed 'flossing the nerves' that come out of spinal area and run down leg to toes.  My lower facet joints are very worn with OA and have a tendency to shift veretbrae easily, especially when walking on uneven ground or stepping up/down.  Am rambling, though, will say some more for others that have decrepit knees as I do.

Many that know me on this site know I travel a distance to seek medical attention from large teaching facility. While there in May my rheumy asked if I planned to have the procedure where a tube is inserted in spinal column area and locate nerve/s that are impinged and administer steriod to the direct site.

Asked him more questions and inquired as what can I do to help myself without starting on this type of procedures. He looked at me and said loose weight, and continue to exercise 2-3 times weekly, and get needed sleep each night.

Asked him what he could offer??? He prescribed the physical therapy idea, which I am presently doing   (2) -get help with weight management- Have cut my portions in half and lost 12 lbs and consulting with registered dietitian.

(3)I love Miss Windy, my CPAP, and now am able to sleep for 6 to 8 hrs. without waking. Was waking due to pain in feet, legs and lower back. The 'flossing' idea from PT has allowed me to know to stretch my heel for 5-10 seconds and then point my toe in bed, if needed. Am being able to relax in bed and not have to get up any more.  

Had my lower abdominal (bottom end) rebuilt 5 yrs. ago at Duke and urethra was crimped and put in sling hooked to front abdominal wall. No need for bathroom visits during the night! :)

Still have good and bad days but am feeling 67 is not old as 68 is soon to come and 8 is my favorite number!!! ;)

Last words, I promise, Medicare and supplementary insurance paid for all of the above.  ???  PM me.    Joy

lynnmarie219

I'm one who used to be very skeptical about chiropractors and over time I have come to believe that they help in many ways that traditional medicine does not!

I now go for monthly for maintenance visits and these adjustments help relieve my pain to make life more pleasant.

In my opinion....does chiropractic care cure sjogrens???    No!

Does chiropractic care assist in making life less painful and more comfortable in combination with my meds and other forms of treatment?? You bet!  :)   

H2Ocolor

Just jumping in with my own experience.  I do not go to a chiropractor, but shortly after my diagnosis for Sjogrens I had extreme fatigue ( muscle type not sleep).  My shoulder was freezing up (could not move it very much) and my doctor sent me to physical therapy.  Within a couple weeks the fatigue was easing and I had so much more energy.  For a while I would wake up in the morning afraid that the fatigue would be back, not yet.  It has been four months and so far so good.  Do not care what helped just so glad to feel good.  (or kind of good as other symptoms are startinting to flare up/ different story)  Good Luck , H2Ocolor

Joe S.

Chiropractors, Natural path and other therapies may provide relief that Western Medicine can not. I have not found a cure but I have found things that help.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DragonflyC

I agree, Joe.  These things can definitely help, some of them quite a bit, and many in ways that we may not understand but have proven to be true through centuries of practice.  I'm open to the possibility that my chiropractic treatment might make a big difference.

Xeory83

Yes dear, I too got my Sjogren?s treatment using chiropractic care. I also had some doubts regarding this therapy so I consulted one of best chiropractors in Mississauga and he cleared all my doubts. Also he provided best treatment in right way.

quietdynamics

One of the ways listed to help ourselves manage pain in articles, studies is exercise, including walking.
Depending where one is on the symptom spectrum, extent of flares, management.. exercise goes to the wayside and we become more sedentary.  Add to that when people are in pain our bodies tend to 'physically' close inward.. we slouch, arms often folded in front of us, walking/gait is off, etc. Our bodies/ skeleton is out of alignment.. so other areas take on more weight.
Benefits of diet and meditation are known to aid in a healthy lifestyle.

If chiropractic discipline were a cure, there would be no AI and researchers would be spinning their wheels.  ;)

As an adjunct adjustments would be of benefit, take home exercises and starting a walking program.

I would be uncomfortable seeing someone who was not in agreement with my medical treatment protocol. Actually that would add stress for me. Even western medicine is open to incorporating benefits of eastern, acupuncture, yoga/meditation, etc.
There are chiropractors who know the benefits and limits of their expertise.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

SjoGirl

My one word of caution is to proceed with caution if you have neck and back issues such as bulging discs, stenosis, etc. in addition to SjS. Some chiropractors over correct and can do damage.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.