News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Itchy Scalp

Started by lainier, November 13, 2009, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lainier

Was wondering whether an itchy scalp could be related to Sjogren's in any way? I have very dry eyes, mouth and skin.

Scottietottie

I dunno Lainier. I have a permanently itchy scalp though. Always have had.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

eyeamdry

I have itchy scalp also and have for some time.  You can get an RX shampoo from your doc.    Do you have psoraisis?

Patze

Hi Lainier,

Yeah, new development for me, but I have the itchy's in general now a days as is, and the rheumy thinks that it's the fibro, not SJS (very frustrating). 

Have you talked to your doctor about this yet?  If you have, what did he say about it?

Take care -

Patze


Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

Hi Lainier, I have dry, itchy scalp off and on and it drives me to distraction. I sometimes put some OTC cortisone cream 1%, and I have tried plastering hair conditioner on my hair and just letting it soak for an hour or so before I take a shower.

I really think it is from the Sjogrens in my case as it goes down onto my neck and sometimes my lower back. I have to make sure I rub with finger tips so I don't take my skin off. One of the blessings of AI I think. Irish ;D

P.S. Sometimes I think that this happens in the spring and fall when the seasons change---but then it happens in between also. 8)

~elizabeth~

I used to get this really badly, I used to have flaking, weeping patches on my scalp and down my neck too. It was one of those things that flared up badly for several years, then just went away. I still have a dry scalp (well, everything is dry!) but I use T-gel shampoo which seems to soothe it if it's feeling a bit itchy.

baileybugster

I am also suffering with an itchy scalp.  I had never experienced this before I had Sjogrens.  So, I just assumed it came along with the disease.  I have not found a shampoo that has helped me yet.  I also get little red patches of skin on my scalp. 


Bernice

Lawd Yes! I itch all over, all the time!

I too think it's SJS, but I also have ecezma which flares somewhere every so many years. Let me tell you, the itch from ecezma will drive you stone out of your cotton pickin mind. God forbid it flares some place you can't or shouldn't scratch!

Billydude

Yes,  it is related!   Many people with autoimmune disease get this.   Also,  many people with Celiac too.

TerriF

I never used to have an itchy scalp but now it's almost always itching, how is this related?  What causes it?

lainier

I have found a great conditioner called Botanical Therapeutic Tree Essence Conditioner made by Carina organics. It has really helped me with my itchy scalp. I haven't tried the shampoo yet. The conditioner is very mild and barely has any scent. I massage it into the itchy areas and leave it for a few minutes. It also conditions my hair nicely. Most products irritate my eyes but this one does not  :)
I've also found that a drop of lavender oil in my shampoo works fairly well too.
Thanks for your responses in confirming itchy scalp is related to Sjogren's.

lori

not itchy but sore- my scalp kills me when I have to get my hair done. I also have fibro so maybe thats it- ?????

lori

familytradition

Hi itchy people.  I am one of you, too.  I have always had problems with my scalp in the fall, but now it seems to be all the time.  I have Sjogren's and am hypothyroid that has just been diagnosed in the past 2 years, and in that time have gone through lots of skin problems.  What has been puzzling to me is that so has other of my family members who do not have that diagnosis, so we had our water tested.  There are chemicals that they put in the water that are supposed to keep the water safe through long runs through pipes, but when it is heated (like in the shower) it burns your eyes and irritates your skin.  Now I have to only use the shower water on a barely warm temperature and make sure there is some way for the steam to escape from the room by slightly opening a window.  My bathroom does not have a fan.  The mixture that they use in the water in our community is called chloramine.... you can read about it online, but it could be alarming to you if you don't already know about it.

Anyway, first I tried Selsun Blue with the recommendation of my daugher's doctor.  It helped with the itching, but the smell was so strong it made me too nauseated to keep using it after a while.  I then saw a dermatologist who said that it was too strong, but that I also had scratch marks on my scalp that were not healing.  He prescribed me something called Ketoconazole Shampoo 2%.  I was surprised that my insurance covered it, and it doesn't take much.  It is very gentle, but it really helped a lot.  I asked the pharmacist to recommend a shampoo with the same active ingredient in it and he recommended Nizoral (with A-D Ketoconazole shampoo 1%).  I like the prescription one better because it seems to be more odorless and gentle, but the other Nizoral is what I get for my daughter.  It seems to work for her.  Another thing I recommend that helped me is to trim your fingernails so that you can't so easily accidentally scratch your skin.  I had to do that because the itching was so intense I couldn't help myself.

I also was having itchy patches on my skin, especially my legs.  I use Lubriderm as an overall lighter lotion, and CeraVe moisturizing cream for more intense areas.  Its odorless and was also recommended to me by the dermatologist.  My skin has improved also after sticking with my vitamins... particularly Vitamin D3, Fish Oil, B12, and Calcium.  I am supposed to be taking Folic Acid as well, but I can't stomach the Bcomplex form that it comes in.

I am on Plaquenil and Prednisone for now, but am awaiting results from some tests because I have been having problems with vasculitis headaches, so they may change that medication.  I have wonderful doctors though (Endocrinologist, Rheumatologist, Neurologist, Dermatologist and an Opthamologist). I live in a sort of small town so these doctors seem to communicate about things and that is helpful to me, but I have been seeing the neurologist the longest because of a long history of headaches.  It has been a long frustrating road of questions leading to more questions, but along the way I have had help and answers.  I persist, because it seems to be that Sjogren's, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, thyroid disease and MS are rampent in my family.  I have only one daugher, but I hope to have as many answers for her as possible if she ever has need of them.... hopefully not, but just in case. 

I guess that's enough info for now... I think I covered all that pertains to skin, and hopefully this info can help some of you.  Hang in there  :)

susanr

Last summer I had a terrible bout of itchy scalp. When it first started I was scratching and it felt as though there were sores, but when I looked - nothing. Wierd! I finally went to the Dr, they even did a brain MRI to rule out MS. The only thing that helped was taking a glass of ice water and putting the glass on my head (or an ice pack), looks kinda funny in the office... I tried all kinds of over the counter stuff. It seems better now that the weather is cooler.

tuckerdog

I sometimes have an itchy scalp.  Dermatologist says it is probably dryness - so associated with SJS.  She said to use scalpasin (OTC).  When I have itchy skin use zyrtec (OTC).  That makes dry eyes worse but it does stop the itch.  Use cetaphil cream to moisturize skin.  Don't take really hot baths and put moisturizer on everywhere as soon as you pat yourself dry.

Tuckerdog