News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Can anyone explain Retinal mapping process?

Started by newtosjs, June 05, 2009, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtosjs

My Rheumy wants me to have retinal mapping prior to starting plaquenil and made an appt for me. I went for a visit today to my usual eye doctor who I just saw in December before a firm diagnosis of sjogren's. When I got there, the girl asked if I was there for my regular eye exam, I said No, I was there for retinal mapping. She left, and came back, and said they were going to go ahead and do the regular eye exam. I told her that was not why I was there. Someone else then came in, and said that it is a two part process, and I had to have the regular exam done first. So, they did the usual vision stuff, and then the doctor came in and said that I had to have precertification, and they could not do the retinal mapping today. They sure collected my money though. She wants me to do all the phone calling for authorization, and is really pushing for the punctal plugs. She said to go ahead and get authorization for those although I said I was not sue I want to do that yet. Am I being scammed? I feel like they should either have rescheduled me, or let me know that I needed two visits and a precertification. Has anyone else been through this? It never sounded that complicated when my Rheumy explained it to me. This is an Optometrist, not an Opthalmologist if that matters. Thanks for any opinions.

Poochie

I'm not sure if you are having the same procedure I had, but you will need someone to go with you for it.  I had to have mine done at the hospital eye clinic.  They dilate your eyes to umpt degree and then take pictures of your retinas and veins of your eyes.  This is used as a base from which to watch for any changes in your eye structure while taking Plaquenil.

It is only a precaution and should not be made to scare you from taking it.  It's a great med but in the past there have been very rare instances of retina damage while using it.  I haven't heard of any one having this problem, and neither has my eye doctor. 

As far as scamming you, I wouldn't think so.  If your insurance calls for a precertification on this test, they might have you do it since it can be time consuming. 

I hope everything goes well for you.  Plaquenil can help greatly with the fatigue and other problems of Sjs.

Pooh