News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

New to Methotrexate

Started by maestro, June 04, 2009, 06:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

My wife had an appointment with the rheumatologist last night.  She was prescribed methotrexate.  I have done a lot of reading, both here and on other sties, and know that it's probably all for the best; but I just cant help but be very leery.

I am 32 and she is 27, we have one child and would like to have more.  I know that we have to wait at least 6 mos after the last dose to try.

With that all said, for those of you taking it, have you gone on and off the meds for different reasons?  How did your body react?  Is there anyone here who was diagnosed with sjs before a pregnancy?  If so, how did the pregnancy go?

Thanks all.

dbab

I'm on Methotrexate and fairly new to it (less than 1 year) and not had to have to come off of it for any reason.  I know my doc drilled the "do not get pregnant on this medication!" to me over and over.  She already knew that I wasn't going to try for any more (I have one too but he's 15 already).  I'm 33 so still fairly young so she wanted to make sure.

Does her doc know that you both want to have more kids?  Is there anything else that she can possibly take instead?  I hope it all works well for you.  Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

maestro

Yes, the doctor knows we want kids.  She asked what our time frame was and based on that she kind of said to either start taking it and go off the meds in a while or hold off until we have number 2.

jenkay

I was on methotrexate for 6 months last summer, it did help with symptoms but it made me so sick (nausea) that I had to stop taking it.  Some people do really well on it.  I tend to not tolerate drugs that well and often need a low does.  I have heard others say that it takes time to get use to so to give it a fair shot you may need to give it a few month.  I remember being so sick the first few days after I took it and then feeling great for a couple days but after a while it is hard to take something that you know is going to make you feel sick. 

I hope she does well with it, so many people do.  Good luck.