News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Nerves

Started by fluffiebunnie, May 22, 2009, 07:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffiebunnie

I am undiagnosed at the mo, but a few months back I suffered a mild form of Bells Palsy affecting the nerves around my right eye mainly.  At the moment I have severe pain in my neck(left side) and back and a numb left arm - QUESTION is.... it all seems to be nerve damage (assuming that is what the neck pain is.. going to GP in half hour) ..

Is this a common SJS thing?  Or what else could keep causing nerve damage?

Many thanks.

fluffiebunnie

GP wasnt very helpful.. she said she doesnt know much about SS  ::) so has no idea if this is connected or something entirely different.... oh well.. looks like I am still in the dark!

Nathan

I too have extreme pain issues with the upper left side of my neck, at the base of my skull. (I'm not quite sure if that's where it is for you too). Anyways, my GP thinks that I have occipital neuritis, basically the nerve gets inflamed or squished, causing pain.
I do not know that it is actual damage to the nerves, I theorize it is uncontrolled inflammation compressing nerves, and causing pain.

I do not know that it is that common, but it is definitely something that is talked about on these forums.

Tryfan

I don't know if this will help but prior to a SJS diagnosis, I had other dxs of Thoracic Outlet syndrome and TMJ dysfunction which my rheumatologist thinks are related.  I was hit on the side of the head by a tennis ball and assumed that this had damaged the left side of my head and put out my neck, shoulder etc..  However, now I know it is more likely to be caused by my left parotid swelling and knocking my jaw out which had an effect further down in my neck and shoulder.  The ball didn't help!!  Anyway, I, too, have a very painful occipital area on the left, stiff/muscular ache in my neck and pain my shoulder and arm.  The circulation is very poor in that area and sometimes my hand goes blue (as I have Raynauds, it can get quite colourful down there, white fingers and blue bumps beneath the skin, one after the other). I think the trouble with neck problems is that you adjust how you move to compensate and then your spine misaligns itself.  I go to a McTimoney chiropractor now which is a very gentle approach to keeping me straight!

TerriJ

I have a lot of pain in my neck, but it is in the back right side.  Stiff neck muscles, facial pain and jaw gets misaligned easily.  I am seeing a physical therapist who does great spinal adjustments.  He has me doing exercises, using a ball and Styrofoam roll that helps to keep my spine from getting all misaligned (which is was in terrible shape.)  My posture was all messed up too.  One thing to add is that the pain in my neck can be triggered by touch like a using a neck roll or anything like that.  I had an MRI of my cervical spine that didn't show much, but the PT said these issues won't show on an MRI.  So, am I dealing with nerve pain or what???

Terri