News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Thumb joint reconstruction: attn: Linda

Started by Melissa3249, May 22, 2009, 08:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa3249

Linda,

I posted a few months ago that I was having reconstruction of the basal joint done, and you replied that you were considering it.  I wanted to let you know my outcome: WONDERFUL!!!  It is three months post-op and I have full use of my thumb for the first time in ten years.  It will take another 4-6 months to heal completely, but I don't think my thumb knows that.  I have 80% of the strength back already, with 100% range of motion...and no pain.  If you have a good surgeon, I highly recommend having this done.  I am having the other thumb done next winter...

Good luck,
Melissa

Linda196

Wow Melissa, thats a great outcome, I'm so happy for you!

Did you start with the dominant or non-dominant hand? For some reason my non-dom thumb is in worse shape that the other, possibly because the wrist on the dominant side is garbage, so I might not have abused the thumb as much while protecting the wrist!

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

Melissa3249

I started with the dominant hand, because that was much worse.  I was really only incapacitated for the five weeks that the cast was on, but I figured out how to do stuff....