News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Burning/dryness in the privates and behind (males in particular please read)

Started by amiamiami, May 26, 2009, 02:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amiamiami

Hello.  I have a rather embarrassing problem.  I am newly diagnosed and have had constant discomfort in my anus and around my genital head (glans).  It feels like they are both extremely dry and uncomfortable (scratchy against clothes).  I have resorted to wearing tight underwear to keep anything from moving.  Does anyone have experience with this and how best to treat this symptom?

Thanks y'all!
name here is Ami (like tommy without the t)

Linda196

Hello Ami, welcome to Sjogren's World.

Skin irritation isn't uncommon in SjS, and it's often the result of dryness. In some cases, "personal irritation" can result from one of the yeast or fungal infections, because the areas are kept warm, enclosed and possibly prone to perspiration, which causes moisture but not skin lubrication. There are OTC ointments and powders available (anti-fungals) and if your doctor has no objection or other suggestions, they might be worth a try. Another helpful change, (if you haven't already done so) is 100% cotton underwear, as the ones with Lycra or polyester can aggravate the problem.

I hope you find lots of helpful information here, as well as support and hints for coping with this "interesting" (for want of a polite word that says what I really mean) disease.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

lynnmarie219

Hi Ami,

I just want to welcome you to Sjogrens World!! If you have any other questions...feel free to ask...there is no question to embarrassing in here....we all understand!

The nurse at work swears by Baza Creme which is an anti fungal...I recently bought some but haven't tried it yet! When I do, I'll post here as to how it works for me...good luck to you in getting some answers and treatment!


irish

Sometimes washing your underwear in fragrance free detergent really can make a difference for some people.Irish ;D

Epson

Do you have a rash or just discomfort?  It seems like any part of your body can become dry and the rubbing of clothes can become very irritating, pants, shirts, socks or underwear.

If you have a rash, I would see a dermatologist for some relief.

Welcome to Sjogren's World, brother!

Billydude

Thats a new one to me Ami but we all experience very different things.    I'm going to pm to you my own experience.
Steve

kindandcaring

Quote from: amiamiami on May 26, 2009, 02:47:47 PM
Hello.  I have a rather embarrassing problem.  I am newly diagnosed and have had constant discomfort in my anus and around my genital head (glans).  It feels like they are both extremely dry and uncomfortable (scratchy against clothes).  I have resorted to wearing tight underwear to keep anything from moving.  Does anyone have experience with this and how best to treat this symptom?

Thanks y'all!
name here is Ami (like tommy without the t)

Well I went to the Doc with sore bum and back..and it simply was dry skin.....now I wash with plain sorbolene and pretty much rub extra in the feet and wherever is dry everyday.

not had a painful peni though..
comfortable clothing can make a big difference with this.

All me best



amiamiami

Wow!  First off I want to thank you all for the quick and warm responses.  I have spent a few years in the "pelvic pain" boards, b/c I thought this was just a urological problem.  Over that time, I realized (after 47 doctors) that the dryness was getting worse and worse and that was a major piece of this!  I will try some of your suggestions!

Thank you!
Ami

Patze

Hi ami,

Let me also welcome you to the SJS World!  Please do peruse the board as there are just tons of information and oodles of information to be had.  Shoot, I spend more time reading here than asking questions from the rheumy - as he's the quiet type and it's like pulling teeth out of chickens!

The members here are just amazing!  I'm glad to see that several of them have given you some really good information and there's not much I can add.

Again, welcome, come often and I hope to chat with you soon.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Katybarstool

Hi Ami

Welcome to the family.  I have just been watching a programme called Embarrassing Bodies (UK), and there was a caes study of  a chap with extreme dryness in the genital area - to the extent that he was bleeding. After various tests, a dermatologist diagnosed him with atopic dermatitis and advised the stuff other people have suggested. In particular, he was advised to make sure that no shampoo/soap etc dripped on his genital area while showering or bathing, and now he is absolutley fine.

From my experience of very dry genitals (female), I was advised to use E45 cream mixed with water as a wash. It works really well, and costs very little. Might be worth trying.

Kathyx

amiamiami

Thanks again everyone!  I've also been noticing that a lot of people have troubles with yeast.  I'm beginning to wonder if the anal/penile problem is one relating to yeast.  I've been tested for everything under the sun but not yeast...anyone dealt with anal yeast?  Again, sorry for slightly off-color topic :).

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

I don't think I've said welcome - so welcome first!!

Several years ago I had a lot of trouble with thrush, which is basically a yeast infection. Eventually cottoned on to the fact that treating me alone was no good. My husband had to be treated as well. Only once did he actually show symptoms and that was an itchy rash on his penis - but that was only once.

I think its really a question for your doctor. I'm sure they could prescribe something that could help but the cause needs to be identified.

For example - if you tried something for yeast infections and it was actually caused by some kind of eczema - you would make it a whole lot worse - and vice versa. Check it with a medic!!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!