News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Auto-immune or DIET??

Started by jazzlover, February 11, 2017, 03:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzlover

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Sharon

Wish that approach would work for me...
I'm completely gluten/dairy/sugar free and on most of those supplements already,
yet getting worse rather than better.  :-\
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

jazzlover

GRRR... I was off all three for years and have been backsliding. I'm definitely feeling the result.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Sharon

Going off the diet worsens my condition,
but being on it is no "cure" for me.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nomad

I am embarrassed to say I don't have the self control I had years ago when I went on a diet that clearly helped me big time.
My lupus was active as was my ITP...low platelets.

I read this book called "Fit for Life" in which the author advocate a variety of things, including food combining and vegetarianism.
I used some of those principles in the book combined with things I made up based on my own personal experiences....taking note of how I felt after eating certain foods.

This is what I ended up with:
Fruit in the morning...all kinds...usually just two different kinds...moderate amount. This was the only time I ate fruit. Sometimes, I would make a freshly squeezed orange juice.
Lunch .... a huge amount of vegetables....both cooked and raw.  If I felt the need, I would have a small amount of brown rice.
Dinner...every other day, a small amount of meat of some kind. This varied...chicken, beef, fish etc.  On the alternate day, I would sometimes have a small amount of beans. I would have a huge amount of vegetables every dinner...usually a salad, but sometimes steamed vegetables.  Sometimes, I would have a baked or sweet potato. I would have a minuscule amount of butter...1/2 a pat of the best quality butter I could find. On a rare occasion as a treat, I would have a 1/2 a piece of whole wheat bread.

I drank water between meals...tons of it.

If I got hungry, I would have things I deemed as very healthy such as celery, sweet potato etc. On a rare occassion, I would have a cup of popcorn with a minuscule amount of the healthiest butter I could find.

After a month or so on this made up diet, my test results were shockingly improved. My lupus went into remission, I lost weight even though I was on prednisone and my platelet count improved. 

Why o why o why cant I do it again???????





SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

belovedchaos1

I have to agree with Sharon. While having to diet and supplementation is essential in my case... I still get flares. There really seems to be ways of coping rather than curing.