News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Creepy fatigue

Started by Nomad, November 29, 2016, 11:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Some of this is obvious cause and effect stuff.
Some, maybe not.
Whenever we go to visit our son and his family, about a 3-4 hour drive away, I come back EXHAUSTED. We have a place to stay and I get decent sleep, etc. I try not to over do it, because if I do, I get sick and fatigued while I'm there.
BUT, I would say even with being careful 95% of the time, upon my return I am exhausted once home.
(Hope that made sense)
Got in late afternoon, yesterday.
It is 2:30 pm today. I haven't removed my nightgown, showered,  etc. Why? I'm not sure I have enough energy.
I also have minor aches and pains.
I am ever so slightly better this moment, so I think I can shower soon.
Do you all find that when you return from even short, simple trips, you are utterly and completely EXHAUSTED?

Also, further complicating matters is that I have some insomnia. I have had "some" luck with Melatonin.
Anybody have any luck with insomnia matters?
I'll take any advice at all.

Thank you.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

warmwaters

So if I were to do a 3-4 hour drive, and then visit with family, I would be exhausted.  And if there's grandchildren involved, you may be more active than usual without even noticing, because they are so much fun.  And you're probably eating slightly different foods, which can be a trigger for some.

I don't think it's at all surprising, based on my experience.  However, it sounds like it's new for you, and that's hard.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

irish

I am always wiped out beyond belief when I go shopping, go to the doctor, do anything that doesn't entail sitting around the house taking it easy. Even trying to clean house, dust, etc wears me out. I do not think this is odd.

I always plan my life around my disgusting inability to tolerate any kind of activity or fun!! I think it is just part of the package. Even going to church will knock me flat. I am of the opinion that our bodies just can't take stress of any kind. I have been like this for years and have adjusted to it. I stay away from activities as I know that I won't hardly know my name after a couple of hours(or less) of social activity. It takes energy to even think and reason and that disappears also when too much extracurricular activity takes place.

When I come home from a couple of days at my sons house what2 hours away I can't always unpack my suitcase when I get home. There have been times when I would sit down to rest and wake up the next morning still in my jeans. Pathetic way to live but it is  it is. Irish

Nomad

#3
Thank you both.
Your responses were comforting.
I have been hiding fatigue issues, even from my doctors, for years.
However, it is getting harder and harder.
I rest before doing anything and everything even going to the doctor.
So, it seems incongruent to ever complain to a doctor about fatigue. And I rarely do.
Tues. I was frighteningly tired.
Yesterday, was much better.
Today, I am almost as bad as Tues.
This is slightly worse than typical.
However, my husband feels like he is fighting a cold or virus and I wonder if it is the same for me.
We have both had extremely good luck taking Oil of oregano tablets as a preventative for cold and/or sinus symptoms. But, now I'm wondering if one could catch a virus and the O of O tablets could do it's thing, but a virus could still be half heartedly lurking. The O of O seems to act a little bit like an antibiotic.  Just some thinking out loud. I do love the stuff because it has significantly reduced my colds and sinus infections.
But, the fatigue lingers.
I also think it's time I am more up front with my doctors about the amount of fatigue I am experiecing, esp. since it seems to be slightly worsening.
Thank you again.

PS Part of the problem absolutely could be a change in diet when I travel

PPSStill looking for ideas re: insomnia. I have found taking 2 mgs. of Melatonin helpful/sublingual kind. I try to take 1 mg a litttle on the early side and then 1 mg before bed. Hard for me to remember though.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

quietdynamics

#4
Yes.. even a day or two before a Dr. appt I need to rest to be able to make it. I go pretty much the way I feel so they 'see' reality. I tell them what % I am functioning and how it affects quality of life. Dr. visit knocks me when I get home and the next day.

A 3-4 hr drive is rare for me.
I did just did an 1.5  of me driving this Thanksgiving (I am proud,) knocked me out for 2 days after, but, they sent me home with left over cheesecake..yummm..lol.

Wow.. you shower.. I am impressed.. rock it girl..  :)
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

warmwaters

When I get deeply tired, I often have the phenomena of feeling a bit better, and then going back to exhausted again.  It's a gradual climb out of exhausted for me.

I think it would be good to share with your doctor.  Do be aware some doctors don't "get" the kinds of exhaustion we deal with. I've had doctors tell me I should try to exercise a half hour a day, just after I've explained to them that I manage the dishwasher in 4 sessions over the course of the day - 1 session each to unload the top and bottom, and 1 session each to load the top and bottom. 

On the other hand some doctors do get it. 

It's hard to accept the restrictions. I now use a wheelchair to increase my ability to do things, even though I feel like a "granny" in it. But it's more important to get out and do something I want to do than to "appear" a certain way.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers