News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Question regarding neuropathy in limbs

Started by paulc182, November 28, 2016, 09:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulc182

Hi ya'll. So I know in my introductory post I made statement saying I'd take a break unless something drastic showed up. Well I have a question about a symptom I'm having...its minor right now but I feel like it needs to be addressed still in the event that is major.

I had neuropathy before, and it was actually the first abnormal symptom I had before things started going down hill. First week there were pin sensations all over my foot, progressed to other limbs, followed by burning, then aching and numb carpal tunnel like sensations, and then vision blur/motor imbalance. My neurologist checked my B12 levels and they were 596. Despite this I was prescribed it and I saw really good improvement! I assumed it made alot of sense at the time because after reading up so much on B12, I heard serum/blood levels weren't a good indicator because you could show up medium-high but still be deficient due to the B12 not being properly absorbed by cells.

It was after this I started getting the typical SS symptoms(dry mouth/eyes, dizziness, joint/muscle aches, shortness of breath, IBS...did a scope and found a stomach ulcer for some reason).
So last few days I've been feeling some light pricking/burning in my limbs, particularly left hand, it also feels a bit stiff sometimes part. in the morning but this could be the joints(no soreness, or very noticeable pain). it just comes n goes and isn't much of a bother.
I read up on Small Fiber Neuropathy and "prevalence" in SS and got freaked out because I heard it was irreversible..being a 24 year old male this freaked me out of course. So my question: does small fiber neuropathy necessarily mean the autoimmune progressive condition? Or can it simply refer to any small scale nerve sensations of peripheral neuropathy caused by SS, vitamin deficiency, etc., you know, just the normal tingling sensations a lot of us here probably get that doesn't need addressing.
I hear a skin biopsy is the only way of confirming the progressive disease so I'm considering this.

SjoGirl

Hi,

I am suffering from mild neuropathy on my left side, affirmed by an recent EMG, and share many of your concerns (though I am older than you).

I suggest purchasing  copy of the book Peripheral Neuropathy by Latov and checking out the Website for the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy https://www.foundationforpn.org/. Lots of helpful info in both, though it is clear at least to me that there seems to be as much docs still don't know about neuropathy as what they do.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

paulc182

#2
I actually did an EMG when all this started but nothing turned up, perfectly fine. Im sure I had a B12 deficiency and it fixed that. I'm just wondering what I have now could possibly be. Another deficiency? I know I was pretty low in VitD when I last checked.
This thing is so annoying. You think SS and websites will say its only dry eyes/mouth but it's so personalized and brings on a slew of other weird problems for some.

Judie P

I would get your Vitamin D level checked.  When mine goes low, I get really weird symptoms (anxiety, tighter muscles, more fatigue).  Also, maybe a check on your potassium level?  I get the burning, prickly, needle pain in my right side on the back of my shoulder.  My husband, a massage therapist, told me it was probably a nerve ending.  He was right.  It starts coming on and then after a week goes away and returns a month or two later.  It is the way that I sleep that sets it off. 
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops