News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Gastrointestional symptoms and their treatments

Started by Kadiddle, October 07, 2016, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy57

I have also had terrible issues with constipation and dryness.  I developed Barrett's esophagus, gastritis, GERD, and esophagitis.

I've tried exercise, Miralax, fiber, tons of fruit and vegetables, prunes, bran cereal,  and stool softeners.  Really I was a mess and still can get very bloated after eating.  I have to eat small meals.  Someone on this forum suggested Magnesium Citrate tablets and it was great advice for me.

I now take one or two tablets per night and it has helped a lot with the bloated feeling and reflux.  I stopped doing anything else because this is all I need.  My doctor was a little upset because she thought the Magnesium would be too much for me and she even checked my blood levels.  And guess what?  They were and are completely normal so no worries on my side. 

You can't mess with success.  I hope you tackle this problem and find a solution for you.  It can make you miserable if ignored.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

Kadiddle

Thanks JoanElizabeth. I happen to work with some GI docs so I'll bet I can bat my eyes and get in sooner rather then later.
;)
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

Tharrell

I have IBS, usually diarreah. I did go through a year and a half of constipation that would not be relieved by anything. My gi doctor put me on linzess during that time and it really helped. I still had to do Miralax about every two days. After a year and a half on linzess I was able to get off the linzess. Then I spent a year with diarreah again. Now I'm constipated again and considering asking for linzess again.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

SjoGirl

I found it odd, but my Gastro doc said to use Metamucil for both constipation and diarrhea. The staff said it helps give sufficient bulk to stools when they are loose and helps things move through otherwise.

I did not end up using it, I found that my stools were better since taking Evoxac (not sure if it helps with dryness all over or  that improved saliva production is helping me digest food better so that it breaks down more).
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.