News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Is tooth loss unavoidable in Sjogren's?

Started by LilliaT, November 05, 2016, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilliaT

Thank you, P.Trish!  Have you had any issues with staining from the Gel-Kam?  I remember reading that stannous fluoride causes staining in some people -- and since it seems that we're already prone to staining due to dry mouth, I'm wondering if that has been an issue for you.  And I hope you have a good week too. 

ccourt1942 -- Thank you for "bursting in"!  I am happy for any advice or information or anecdotes that anyone can offer.  Is the Clinipro a toothpaste, or is it a treatment that you leave on for a while?  (When I looked on Amazon, I saw only a toothpaste.)  Either way, I will order it and add it to my arsenal.

I use a mouth guard at night too, on my upper teeth.   (I clench my teeth when I sleep.)  I'm going to start filling it with Biotene gel as you suggested.  Thank you again.
Early 40s. No diagnosis. Negative lip biopsy (maybe done too early?). Negative SSA/SSB, but positive ANA (just went up to 1:160, nucleolar). Dry eyes and migraines since teens. Dry mouth, fatigue, and now joint pains are new.  Aside from ANA, negative on all other autoimmune bloodwork.

P.Trish

The first time I used fluoride gel, I had staining because I misunderstood the instructions. I thought they said 'leave it on for 30 minutes'; they meant 'don't eat or drink for 30 min." The stains came out with professional cleaning.

Gel-Kam doesn't really stain, but long term use prevents my teeth from being their formerly 'white' self (I used to bleach, not sure if that is wise, now).


female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

Deb 27

Failed fillings and root canals were the first "warning" of my SJS. I've had 5 in the past 8 years. Three of them were within a year or two of each other and then my Dentist put me on Prevident 5000 for Dry mouth. I brush twice a day with that and floss. My mouth is real dry and I keep putting off taking the evoxac. I have asthma and I heard it can cause asthma to get worse.

I get my teeth cleaned twice a year. I have to get another cavity filled this month.  It gets very expensive. It's either that or lose your teeth. We are fortunate to have dental insurance but it only pays half and root canals/crowns are pricey! I never needed a root canal until all this mess hit me. Good luck!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.