News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Bit of a shock - off topic

Started by Scottietottie, November 01, 2016, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

Last month I had a scan because I had a cough for about three months and my GP wanted to check I didn't have lung cancer. I was happy - I don't have it - and that was confirmed by the pulmonologist  on the day of the scan.

yesterday a letter arrived (copy of letter sent to GP) and it said there is no significant abnormality seen on this scan except emphysema due to previous smoking.

From what I've read since receiving the letter, emphysema IS significant - or certainly will be. I gave up smoking in 1998. I never had a smoker's cough and didn't give up for health reasons. (Gave up to pay for daughter's dancing lessons)

I get to see the pulmonologist again on the 11th NOv - so not long - but it was an odd way to find something out.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

anita

Try not to worry.  Although the word itself is scary, it doesn't always mean the type or severity of lung damage as this word usually carries.  I have signs of emphysema on my scans too, yet my pulmonologist says it is minimal and has not grossly effected my breathing/lung function.

If your PFT's (pulmonary function tests---breathing tests) are normal, then there is likely nothing to worry about.  And as long as you are not smoking any more, the damage won't get worse by itself.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

irish

Scottie, So glad that you don't have cancer. I imagine in the realm of things the doctor didn't think that he should panic over the emphysema. Who knows! Now days that way things get relayed to us begs for improvement.

I know that it seems like a long time since you quite smoking but damage can be done when smoking that doesn't always go away. One can always get breathing issues from second hand smoke too. The good thing is that now you know what is causing the cough and you will probably be put on inhalers and possibly a nebulizer. That should help with the cough and in treating your issues. There are other new drugs out there also. There is also an emphysema that is genetic and blood test needs to be done for this. I would ask your doc about this also

I wish you well as you get this taken care of Also, I would pursue the sjogrens lung issue also---or possibly autoimmune lung. This might take some research before you visit the doctor. It never ends does it. Good luck. Irish

Carolina

Scottie, I understand your shock.   I had a routine pulmonary check (the first, ever) last Fall.  And it came back with a diagnosis of COPD, Small Airway Obstruction. 

It turned out that my Immune Deficiency, CVID, is linked to Small Airway Obstruction.  Who knew?

Sjogren's is also linked to lung problems.  So you have emphysema, and a cough.  But not cancer!  :D

I find I get short of breath, and IF I start coughing it turns into a horror show.  So I try not to cough!

I just keep having things to adjust to........no fun.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling and managing.

Hugs,  Elaine

Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

bluegardenia

ouch!! im really sorry for your shock! but i imagine that if u stopped smoking to pay your daughter dance lessons u were smoking a lot!!!!
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds