News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Staying slim after 55

Started by Nomad, October 14, 2016, 05:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

A nauseating topic.
I bumped into a woman at a store I estimate to be about 60. She works there; part time.
She had the figure of a 25- 30 year old.
Slim and trim. She looked great!
So I took the plunge and asked her how she keeps her figure this way.
I'm writing this down mostly for moi.
But I know many here have at least some interest in the topic.
She seemed happy to fill me in on the details.
1. She said she is "militant" about her diet. She used this word and words like it often. She said she does not eat starchy carbs. She never eats bread, pasta, desserts, junk food, sugary food or soda.
2.  She drinks a ton of water daily.
3. She does moderate exercise several days a week; usually a LEslie Sansone tape.
4. She keeps busy and this is part of the reason she works PT after having a successful career...to keep her body moving.
5. She tries to eat lots of vegetables and at least some protein daily and is aware of her portions keeping them small to moderate.

She looked great.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Kathy57

I have turned 59 years old and I am about 12 lbs heavier than I was a year and one half ago.  It is so depressing!  Of course then I feel less depressed if I have a treat and that just makes it worse!

My clothes fit a little uncomfortable and some days I just don't care! 

Kathy

66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

gurs

Most people who are like her are very cautious about their health and eating habits..kudos to them. But, wonder if she has any illnesses or conditions like some of us do. I find it challenging just to walk, an in turn, harder for me to burn calories etc. Im sure I would be in amazing shape too if I didnt have these illnesses. The chronic fatigue alone, and all the hormonal problems, make it almost impossible. Granted, im thin, but thats only because of the gastroparesis. I still need to change my diet though. I eat too many potato chips!! ha

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

SjoGirl

Hi all. I am in my late 50s, have multiple issues, yet look better than I did most of my life (I was a very overweight child).

I try to eat a mostly Mediterranean style diet and lots of fruits, nuts seeds, and veggies. I am GF, but eat GF bread, rolls, pancakes, etc. and notice bloating and discomfort when I do. I have to skip the chips and pretzels or eat just a bit or as they too cause the bloating.

I drink liquids all day long, water, tea or decaf coffee. I LOVE dark chocolate and it is usually my treat for the day. I have also been trying Ben & Jerry's new dairy free coffee, caramel, chocolate ice dessert. I don't eat much in the way of desserts because sugar = inflammation for me.

I do not exercise as in lifting weights or yoga much due to having osteoarthritis, Stenosis, etc. I try to get up every few hours and make sure I get 10,000 steps about 4-5 days a week. I am about to sign up to see a personal trainer because I feel I am getting weak and my balance is not as good as it used to be.

That said, we all have different bodies, different meds, etc. I have found weight to be a life-long journey and do feel for those who are struggling because I have been there.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Nomad

#4
I did feel a little ? don't know the word exactly...kinda like envious, sad, ....something listening to the woman in the store speak about her exercise.  Because I too can not exercise much at all.

Yesterday, I walked gently in my neighborhood and I feel wonderful about that. I hope to do it again tomorrow. It is what it is.
I did NOT attempt to explain my situation to her. It doesn't matter.

BUT, I know in my heart I could do better with diet. When I do, the weight comes off and I feel better.

No way in heck am I consistent as this woman.

Water! This might be a good time to post my experiment with water. I  read that we should drink half our body weight in ounces of water...preferably most of that between meals if possible. I did that two days in a row and OMG. I had more energy AND less dryness AND lost a little weight. So, if you weigh 150 pounds that would mean 75 ounces of water, most of that between meals if at all possible. I know this is very helpful. I did this years ago, but perhaps don't like how hard it is. This was a wonderful wake up call.

Yesterday, was an interesting day. I walked in the morning. I drank a nice amount of water (but NOT the 50%). I avoided bread and ate a ton of veggies. BUT, at the end oft he day my husband said he had a craving for ice cream. He went out and brought some back and guess who had some? ME!

One thing this woman said repeatedly was she was MILITANT. I have a good friend that is slender and she is maybe not militant but VERY CLOSE TO MILITANT. Neither of these woman would have had the ice cream last night. I have a feeling this woman in the store very very rarely would eat ice cream. My friend, otoh, would have a small portion if it was a holiday. Anyway, I had a moderate portion for basically no reason at all.

Due to less activity (due to health stuff and being over 50, thyroid stuff, etc.) it probably would probably make a LOT of sense to be MILITANT or close to it. Just have a small portion of something "naughty" for a holiday or very special occasion....birthday, anniversary etc.

I think I'm about 60% there, but have more work to do. Again, I see this woman in the store and my close friend have much more self control than I do. Never mind the exercise  part of it. Just what they are eating. They shun starchy carbs and sugars in a big way and have TREMENDOUS SELF CONTROL  and I think I need to really get to that place for weight and health purposes too. I'm not berating myself (that would be counterproductive). I just think it would benefit me on a MULTITUDE  of fronts. A struggle to get there...working on it.

MILITANT!!! Maybe this is the word of the day! LOL!

Again, I did find the water "thing," fascinating and helpful!

I'm of the belief that sure, these health problems are not our fault. But perhaps there is only so much we can do to provide at least some help.  AND, I'm aware that we are not perfect and WILL make mistakes. But, I also feel that it is my personal responsibility to try the VERY best I can to help myself (and my doctor) get to a better place health wise and even if it is only a small improvement, it is my responsibility to do whatever I can and as much as I can to move forward.


PS I'm on a crazy bandwagon, because last week I went to the funeral of an old friend. I was shocked out of my mind to discover that the probability of her particular health problem and resultant early death was VERY likely due to her lifestyle. She was 60. Many things are not this clear. I am still in shock.



SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

SjoGirl

Militant is pretty close to how I would describe my commitment to my diet. I've loosened up at times over the years, eating more carbs or sugar, and I typically regret it. I don't gain huge amounts of weight, but feel bloated, listless, and live with the inevitable sugar crash.

It's very tough to travel this path, but one good outcome has been that my husband eats a bit better than he did. Heart disease runs in his family so I am glad that my habits are rubbing off without me rubbing it in that he should adopt them.

FYI you might think of diet like you do your meds, necessary for your health. I found that changed my attitude in a very positive way.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Nomad

Thank you Sjogirl...diet necessary for good health in the same way as our meds.  I think this sentiment might very well be helpful.

I'm under extra pressure at the moment as I was just put on prednisone and my appetite is intensified.  I'm going around saying every food item is the best I've ever had. "OMG...these ihop eggs are the best I've ever had in my life!"  My family is finding my funny, but are also worried as I have  a fairly good appetite as it is. So far, I haven't had too many crazy slip ups (bizarre over eating), but I'm struggling! Any advice / experience welcome!
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

susanep

I am 63, and I am so tired with all the illness we go through, but my weight is horrible. I know it is worse with my not being able to do much and staying sick so much. Even now I am thinking some of my meds are making me more hungry at night after taking it or whenever I do.

I also since my 20's have had to take meds for my hypothyroid, and even have nodules on each side of my thyroid now. I haven't seen an endocrinologist since over a year ago now or longer and when we were there, he fell asleep while I was telling me my concerns and trying to ask him about things. That was the last time me and hubby went there.

I say all this to lead up to what I weigh. I am tired of even trying to hide it anymore. I am at 296 now. Isn't that just wonderful? I am ashamed of that too, but don't know what to do.

Last month I started eating very diabetic healthy, and then a personal issue came up which put us short of money, and we ate whatever was there which wasn't diabetic healthy, and totally ruined my progress, and really my motivation.

If you are incline, say a prayer for me.
Thank you, and I am always praying for all on here.
Hugs,
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Nomad

#8
Susan...just said a prayer.

They are discovering overweight is worse for health than originally thought. So, it really can be a health issue.

Anyway, I rarely mention it, but will in this case. I use to work for Weight Watchers. I think the trick was to find a group class that one really resonated with. A teacher that was fun and/or interesting. Some people in the class that were similar. So, you looked forward to going and weren't inclined to miss. I had a class like this and it ended up being pseudo social. People in the class would bring recipes, would talk about difficult experiences, etc. It just made it easier for me and many others there.
I've done WW myself successfully many times, and maybe I did one time too many and have had trouble going back...but still think highly of it. Something to consider....if you think you can afford it at all.
On the other hand, I've had fairly good luck using my My Fitness Pal App on my phone which is free.
FREE is always good.
I put in the calories I want for the day and take it from there.
If you put 1400 or 1500 calories per day for example and recorded everything you ate, it is an excellent learning tool.
I think the basics IMHO are: eat less calories, record your calories, reduce sugar, be careful with calorie loaded drinks, drink more water and when possible...move your body....a walk up the stairs, a walk in the neighborhood.
Just the basics (but particularly reducing calories) over a period of time, almost always brings results even under difficult circumstances.
IMHO sometimes a problem like hypothyroid requires a tiny adjustment in calorie intake. So, if you normally could eat 1500, you might need to eat 1400 or 1450. A small adjustment, that over 7 days, makes a difference.
Good thoughts and prayers for you. I/we know that it is a struggle. Wishing you well.

SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Deb 27

 Nomad, after being militant about my diet for the first 40 years of my life and exercising, I came down with this crap. I felt horrible and have done nothing but gain weight. I've tried Weight Watchers, counted my points and still did not lose weight. It was so disappointing so I gave up. Having joint pain and not being able to exercise really hurts me. If I could walk about an hour a day and sweat, I could lose it. I even swim in the summer and don't see any weight loss. The only thing that worked for me was 50 mpg of cytomel which is the T3 thyroid hormone, I lost 6 pounds but got tremors from it. LOL... My thyroid was still low at that point! So, I think the T3 worked. I am sick of being overweight as well. I keep a healthy diet too! Maybe a few too many calories, I don't know, but it's awfully frustrating! I've even thought about asking for diet pills I am so sick of it. I know they aren't good. I have a friend who went on diet pills and has lost 30 pounds. I am jealous. My gynecologist has a weight loss clinic and I've thought about going. I know as soon as you stop, the weight will come back on.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

susanep

Nomad thanks for the prayer, and your thoughts on what might help. Before I got off track on that last attempt, I was watching one of those shows of the 600 pound person, and got up to get a cane for balance, and went outside to walk around my yard. Now that might not sound like much, but all of what seems like our yard is partly my dad's land which is quite a bit, so  one round is quite a bit. I felt so proud after ward.

Then me and hubby are battling strep throat and having a hard time getting over it, but I do feel a bit better. Still on antibiotics. I had to sound off before, but I know I will try to keep on keeping on. I needed a good rant for a moment, but I have been kind of cranky even to my dear hubby. I will try to get myself together and do better.

I hope today to try at least to take a small walk somewhere. My dogs will be glad to go with me.

We have to encourage each other. I feel so bad sometimes just not being more successful with my own diagnosis after all this time, and doing not well with losing weight that I feel ashamed to come on here. I do need to get over that I know.

Hugs All,
Susan
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi