News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Tattoo/flu shot

Started by muphin83, October 11, 2016, 02:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muphin83

Thoughts on getting a tattoo when I have sjogrens? Also thoughts on getting a flu shot?
Female 34, Sjogren's dx Oct 2014, Superficial Thrombosis dx Sept 2015, edema 2014 :   Hydroxychloroquine 200mg 2xday , Vitamin D 5000, Fluoxetine 10mg, Fluoxetine 20mg, multi vitamin, calcium,  probiotic, biotin 10,000 mg,

Jasper

My Rheumatologist recommends getting a flu shot each year.

I get a flu shot every year and have done so for the past 37 years. I will continue to do so. Flu can kill people and I don't need another disease that can (usually) be prevented with a vaccine.


Personally, I would not get a tattoo. One reason is that the tattoo ink is a foreign substance. There is no way to know if that foreign substance will cause our immune systems to respond in a negative manner. Another reason is that Hepatitis C can be spread via tattoo equipment if that equipment has not been properly sterilized.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Carolina

#2
I got my first (and last?) tattoo last summer. 

I always get the flu shot, on the advice of my Immunologist.

Regards,  Elaine

PS:  I didn't check with my Immunologist about the tattoo, however.   8)
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

irish

I would also not get a tattoo. There are some very pretty small ones out there, but the pain turns me off. Also, like was mentioned by Jasper, the foreign substance is really hard to wrap my head around. I would think that it would drive our antibodies crazy. I got enough crazy antibodies the way it is. Also, the thought of infection would be high even if they use good technique. Sort of like being an elective procedure. I elect not to get one. Irish 

jazzlover

No way on either one for me. I have terrible issues with my skin .. so would never risk a tattoo. Besides, there is evidence that the INK in tattoos can cause hepatitis.. no, not just the needle risk.

Flu shots are not effective and can be dangerous considering all of the chemicals in them. I am very chemically sensitive.

Just my very humble opinion! Google is your friend!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Bigleyj

My Dr insists I get the flu shot.

I have 2 tattoos from years ago.

My advice, if you want a tattoo then get a tattoo. Do what you want.

Cheers,
Jo 😀
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Jasper

Just to be clear about how Hepatitis C is transmitted.

Hepatitis C is transmitted via blood to blood contact. Anyone who has been exposed, via blood route, with anything that has been infected with blood, can contract Hepatitis C.

So, while tattoo ink, per se, cannot give a person Hepatitis C, if the ink has been contaminated with the blood of someone with Hepatitis C, and then is used on someone else, the bloodied ink can be a source of Hepatitis C transmission.

Even if they use brand new sterile needles, one has to be concerned with the sterility of the rest of the equipment. Hepatitis C virus can live up to 6 weeks on fomites, so meticulous cleaning and sterilization of equipment is imperative.

ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Nomad

I would not get a tatoo. My main reason is that I've had autoimmune stuff for over 40 years and generally speaking my body does not like foreign entities introduced into it.

I have mixed (largely negative) feelings about the flu shot. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I wouldn't automatically get it either.  I would consider it under special circumstances. Perhaps if I was working in a hospital, for example.

I do not like the fact that I understand there are dangerous chemicals in them...some that may not need to be there. I've heard rumors that the shots in Europe are less toxic than the ones in the US.

My family and I wash our hands very often as it is, but during flu season, we go into over drive. I take extra vitamin C daily, but again, this flu season, I might double that. I take Oil of Oregano when around sick people, when flying on an airplane or around children. But, this flu season, I might experiment with taking it five or six days a week for the duration of flu season and extra for the above mentioned situations. I find it very safe, yet very powerful in preventing infections of any kind. I keep wipees in my purse and wipe my hands after using any shopping cart, before eating or doing anything that might expose my hands to the public...like using an escalator. And again, I wash my hands with soap and water often. These kinds of things have greatly reduced (knock on wood and crossing myself) to colds and sinus infections, so I am experimenting with it for flu season.

Sorry such a long answer. The short answer..I would not do a tatoo. I would consider the flu shot under special circumstances. For me, at this time, I'm just stepping up preventative measures.



SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Jenny

I get the flue shot every year on the recommendation of my Rheumatologist. If you want a tat, get one.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries