News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Caffeine, beverages and pain

Started by Deb 27, September 10, 2016, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb 27

With this stupid disease, I've developed so many food intolerances and such. Now, it seems that I am reacting to something in drinks, I don't know if it is the caffeine or some other chemical but I am really peeved about it. I LOVE my tea. Gonna try some decaf to see if that might be it. Herbal teas are ok but I do love the regular black tea. I've read that tea is fermented, hence it might have allergens in it. I also seem to start aching when I drink Coke Life. It's got Stevia and a little sugar in it. I suspect the chemicals. Almost all bottled drinks have phosphoric acid. It can't be good for us but darn, it sure tastes good. Of course, I don't want to feel bad either, so I have to abstain. Does anybody else have this issue? I drink plenty of water during the day.  This is not fair. 
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Joe S.

My Mad Science kids loved it when we mixed tang, baking soda, anc citric acid with water. Orange pop. Kool aid may be an option also.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SabbraCadabra

Natural caffeine in tea and coffee never really bothers me, but the kind in soda, especially fountain pops, always makes me feel sick for some reason.

Probably not the same thing you're experiencing, though.

ppk

Quote from: SabbraCadabra on September 11, 2016, 09:23:11 AM
Natural caffeine in tea and coffee never really bothers me, but the kind in soda, especially fountain pops, always makes me feel sick for some reason.

Probably not the same thing you're experiencing, though.

There are other things that may be bothering you in soda, like high-fructose corn syrup. A huge dose of simple carbs can result in overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria, and also spike insulin levels, leading you to feel very tired when your blood sugar inevitably crashes.

Nomad

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think soda was bothering my bladder and I just didn't seem to feel well while drinking it. So, at some point I gave it up. I do drink coffee. If I over do it, I will sometimes take over the counter Prelief. I also try to drink a lot of water every day. I really do like coffee (probably not ideal) But, yes, I found soda to be somewhat problematic for me health wise.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

SabbraCadabra

Quote from: ppk on September 11, 2016, 11:26:09 AM
There are other things that may be bothering you in soda, like high-fructose corn syrup. A huge dose of simple carbs can result in overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria, and also spike insulin levels, leading you to feel very tired when your blood sugar inevitably crashes.

I don't think it's HFCS, because drinks without caffeine don't bother me (with small exceptions, like fountain Sprite).

I don't really know how to explain it, it just kind of makes me woozy and sick to my stomach...I guess it could be a reflux thing, but it doesn't feel like it. I don't get the same effect from coffee with sugar in it.

I just assume it has something to do with the way they process the caffeine, versus drinks that naturally contain it (and are not processed foods!)

Maria3667

Hi Deb,

It's probably the caffeine in Coke Life. Contains 28mg which is quite a high amount. I also suffer from weird aches (even in my hips) when I consume high caffeine drinks. Best alternative is green tea, especially cranberry green tea (even though it contains some caffeine too). I know it's a hassle to sort out, but the pain and dryness is not worth the short lived pleasure...

Good luck!
54. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02) - changed to Sicca ('20), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18), Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

SjoGirl

I stopped drinking soda years ago, taste like poison to me now, which I suspect is the chemicals.

I too developed tons of food intolerances after SjS.

With regard to tea, if you have Trader Joe's nearby they have a great Irish Breakfast decaf tea that is robust. You can also order many types of tea through Amazon. I order some Harney and Sons teas because you can get them in 50 ct bags or boxes at a much lower price than in a retail store.

I sometimes mix caf and decaf and have been able to tolerate that.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

jazzlover

I have MANY food intolerances and can no longer drink tea or juice or anything. I am stuck with water.

You might want to look at "salicylates" in foods.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Deb 27

Yea, the Coke Life doesn't have a ton of sugar, it's semi- diet. It's not good for me, but sometimes I need a little lift.  I am starting to have problems with so many foods and chemicals, the list is growing and I run out of things to eat and drink. It's probably for the best.                                                                                                                                                                 It's been a rough few weeks.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.