News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Should I feel bad about yelling at a client? Venting

Started by Judie P, October 22, 2016, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judie P

I don't think so.  The only people I can tell this to who would understand is my fellow Sjoggies.  That is why I am venting here!

Today, was the third time this year that clients of my husband came in with colds and did not say anything until afterwards.  He is a massage therapist, so he is in direct contact with them.  the first time it was an individual who was very sick.  He gave it to my husband and then my husband gave it to me.  I ended up with not only a bad cold but a sinus infection.  The whole thing lasted a month and I lost a week's worth of work (self employed).  The second time was last month when a couple came in and afterwards said how they had been sick but were on antibiotics.  A week later both my husband and I were sick.

Today, a different couple came in and announced they were in their second day of their colds AFTER their massages and are so narcissistic that they did not even think about us.  They needed my help up front and as she was blowing her nose, I nicely told her not to come near me because I have Sjogren's and I am tired of clients coming in sick, giving us their illness, and then we lose week's worth of pay.  I told her to have a good weekend and walked away.  I told my husband afterwards that when they come back in two weeks, he should call them and say he has been sick for a while and cannot see them.  Ha!

I am sure that most of you feel the same way, ESPECIALLY when they KNOW that you have an AI and that it affects your livelihood!  Thanks for listening.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Sharon

I agree with you 100% Judie!
People tend to be very inconsiderate and don't take others in account when making decisions.
They also don't all understand exactly what it means to have an AI condition.
I think your husband must make "the rules" here as clear as possible and hang a sign on the
door that says he wil not accept sick clients and to please come back when fully recovered.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Deb 27

Do you think you should put on a sign or ask people when they are booking their apts to please cancel if they are sick so they don't spread their germs into your establishment? I get furious about how people go around when they are sick. I've had people come to work saying they are throwing up and have diarrhea and we were at a lunch! I asked one girl to put on gloves. People used to stay home if they were sick, at least for a few days.

I hope you don't get sick  >:(

Take care!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

warmwaters

I agree that you should add a nicely worded statement to your materials that request that the client please cancel the appointment if they have infectious disease like a cold or the flu.  Encourage them to call if they are not sure. If you make reservations by phone, add to your  "spiel" a mention that they should please call if they have a cold or flu, as you wish to keep your staff healthy.

I can see why you are angry, but the best way is to set expectations. People don't always think things through.  If you have a cancellation policy that cost people money, think about how to handle the "sick" exception.

Best of luck!
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Deb 27

Another option might be to ask them to wear a mask??? 
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Judie P

Really good ideas from all of you!  Thank you!  They all know not to come in if they are sick but they think they will feel better afterwards.  Actually a massage can make it worse, too.  They have been able to sneak around it by not telling him until after the massage as well.  I like the mask idea because they would hate to wear one during their massage!  Also, I think it is time for us to print out a message on our counter and on the front door.

Thank you to all!  Love and hugs, J
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops