News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Hypothyroid? Consider 'natural thyroid'?

Started by Carolina, June 12, 2015, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina

Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

I just came back from a long trip and on the way home stopped by to visit an old friend.  Talk about a transformation.  She has lost over 40 pounds in the past 6 months.

She has Hashimoto's and has had thyroid problems since her 20's.  She was getting worse and worse.

Finally she tried the desiccated pig thyroid instead of the synthetic thyroid so widely prescribed.

The results, FOR HER, were amazing.  She revived, lost weight, gained energy, and generally is a 'converted believer'.

Now, I don't have a thyroid problem, and resist 'converted believer' with the same fervor they have when trying to convert me.

But, so many here have Hashimoto's and may not have considered alternative sources of thyroid.

Her 'bible' (all converted believers have a 'bible') is Stop the Thyroid Madness: A Patient Revolution Against Decades of Inferior Treatment by Janie A. Bowthorpe.   For all I know this is a product placement book, so it may get blocked by our dedicated 'fact checkers'.  I'm sorry if that's the case,

This is just my version of a Public Service Announcement.   Ignore if necessary?

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

litliwlowa

Elaine

The results for a number of Hashi's patients on natural thyroid are amazing, unfortunately some of us have Endo's (like moi) who are reluctant to go that route because of dose variances which are not as easily controlled as with the synthetic hormones. Since thyroid replacement hormones are measured in micrograms, a slight variance can make a big difference.

The natural thyroid option has both T4 and T3 hormones. Typically, only T4 is replacement of the synthetic hormone is prescribed to a Hashi's patient. However, SOME Hashi's patients like myself require replacement of BOTH hormones. So I am not surprised to hear that a Hashi's patient would have good results on nature thyroid.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Deb 27

Carolina, good topic.
Ever since I had low thyroid, I've gained like 70 lbs and I have been on synthroid. I had one Dr. who put me on a mixture of synthroid and cytomel which is T3 and I started losing weight. He isn't in my network anymore and no other Dr. will do that for me. So, I no longer get it. I tried a form of natural dessicated thyroid and it made my stomach feel funny. I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. I was very disappointed. Also, it can take many weeks on the right dose for your thyroid to get right and it can take frequent adjustments. But, many Drs. just want to give synthroid. It's very frustrating.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Carolina

Amanda, my friend tried to explain the entire T4 to T3 thing, but unless it applies to ME, I just don't 'get it'.  I don't even get technical things when they DO apply to me, actually.

But she invoked all of the  T3 T4 stuff and keeps telling me to have my levels checked on all of these things......but I know I'm not having a problem with my Thyroid, really.

Hugs,  Elaine

Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

Calli66

The STTM website (Janie Bowthorpe) is a great resource. She really provides lots of free info, but it does take lots of studying to understand it.

I take NP Thyroid (porcine) and I prefer it to straight T4 or T3 or the combo of the two. I am lucky enough to have a smart naturopathic doctor and live in a state where it's legal for him to prescribe hormones (NM).

The trouble with most endos is they only check TSH and maybe antibodies. So I have been using DirectLabs to order my own tests, and then I have my doc (the naturopath) help me understand the results and adjust hormone meds.

But this year I found out I was very low in iron---and it has taken 5 months to get it normalized. During this time we were working on finding the right dose of thyroid hormone, too. I also added Betaine HCl (with meals) to help absorption of iron and other minerals.

Regular endos don't tend to check iron and it's a factor in thyroid utilization. I don't believe that line "porcine thyroid varies too much" etc., etc. It's just different and requires more lab tests to monitor. Endos don't check cortisol levels either---another factor.

This approach is gradually changing, and I take the fact that a small company (Acella Pharmaceuticals) is now providing "generic" natural porcine thyroid meds, and you can buy them at Walmart! Not fringe anymore. And they're not even expensive.

Look, just because you have an endo who won't do the tests, you don't have to settle for that because you can order them yourself online and go to the lab to get your blood drawn. You get the results in 2-3 days, and then can decide what to do yourself. I think there are only a handful of states that don't allow this.

Calli

Lotus1

I've been on prescribed thyroxine 100 (T4) from the GP (by the way it's natural, not a drug as such) & T3 (16mg) prescribed by the hormone Dr for years. 
The T4/T3 combination prescribed from the hormone dr didn't work for me.
Before taking T3 I had a lot of trouble getting my under active thyroid stable.
My thyroid works fine now even though the GP argues the TSH reading shouldn't be close to "0" like the hormone Dr says it should be.
However, the GP admits not knowing anything about T3 & GPs generally don't have T3 knowledge.
It's trial & error like most things.

Lotus1

ohiolady

My endo added a low dose of T3 to my Synthroid and I must say I have more energy.  I don't understand the whole process but am thankful for every added bonus.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

aussie mum

This topic is very close to my heart as after years of having typical Underactive Thyroid symptoms with a normal TSH, I needed to have a total Thyroidectomy due to massive nodules which were (luckily) still pre-cancerous.

The fascination that doctors have with the TSH test particularly annoys me - it could've actually killed me if I hadn't pushed my GP to feel the gland and do an ultrasound. So now, these highly trained medical professionals still want to use the TSH to monitor my levels for medication.  >:(

I wish it was easier to get the Natural replacement hormones like Armour in Australia.

I am on Oroxine (T4) and haven't felt as good as I should. From what I've read, the natural medication not only has T4 & T3 but traces of other thyroid hormones that we are never tested for.  I'm sick of the weight gain, sore muscles & brain fog.... OMG I'm 51 and forget SO much
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D