News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Insect bite allergy and hydroxychloroquine

Started by eija, August 04, 2014, 12:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eija

I have a history of getting in trouble by a simple mosquito bite. The bites itch like crazy (I mean really crazy!  :-\ ) and then become huge water blisters which take ages to empty. Of course they get easily infected which sometimes results in antibiotics  :P  I remember once having one of these blisters on my calf when I got back to work after my vacation. While driving to work it started leaking and it was literally like a running tap, the stuff flowing down my leg! So I had to go straight to the nurse to get help for that...

Last summer I didn't have much trouble of the bites, this summer was the same. Last year I thought it was the antibiotic creme I had that helped, this year I realized it could be the Oxiklorin (hydroxychloroquine) which I've been taking for almost two years now. BUT.

Last week I got several bites on my ankles and they started to burn right when I got them. And sure enough, the next day they were big fat itchy water blisters. I've been taking antihistamine twice a day since then, applying antibiotic creme, hydrocortisone creme, aloe vera... It's been MISERY, day in, day out. Last night was the first one they didn't itch (and then came the stomach problems!) so it seems they're finally healing.

My question is - since we sjoggies are prone to having all sorts of allergies, is this common for us, too? Does anyone else have these problems?

And why was I like a "normal" person with the mosquitoes all summer, until last week? What caused the back attack again?

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Carolina

Dearest Eija,

I had that trouble with every kind of bite, mosquito, black fly, or whatever for years.  Each bite turned into an oozing itching mess for about three or four weeks, at least.

About 20 years ago that stopped.  I don't know why for sure, but I think it's because we moved to another part of the country (the USA is huge) and there weren't as many mosquitoes and there were no black flies. 

I didn't get stung nearly as often, in fact I would say not at all.  We also lived near a lake and there was almost always a breeze, which may have kept the insects from biting as often.

Now, of course, I almost never go out and we have lived in two more parts of the country, and I never get insect bites.

I may have 'grown out' of my sensitivity in some way, as well.

But for about 50 years of my life, insect bites were a horrible experience for me, Eija.  I put it down to 'allergies' at the time, but now I know it was my Immune Mediated sensitivity, not true allergies.

It made our time spent with friends in New Hampshire every summer very miserable from bites.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

litliwlowa

Hi Eija

I have insect allergies (for years) but not to the severity you describe (other than bees which reaction is tracheal swelling for me). My allergist many many years ago recommended upping my vitamin B intake ( I think it was B2, but don't quote me on that) which in effect alters the sweat so as not to be so "attractive" to biting insects. I think it was B2 - I simply take a daily B-complex for years actually.

In the event I do get bite or stung, I keep on hand t-bags - moisten and apply to the bite. Moist tobacco I find helpful in a pinch also to help draw out the poison of a bite and minimize the reaction until, if necessary, I can get proper medical attention

Has your doctor sent you to an allergist? I would think a referral to an allergist would be in order.

As to your question re: are we prone to having all sorts of allergies? Well, I don't know the answer but it is certainly curious how many of we Sjoggies also have allergies or allergy-similar reactions. But then our immune systems are a bit wacky anyway, considering our bodies are not supposed to be attacking itself - yet it does.

Another "theory", that your bites so easily get infected has me wondering if perhaps there is an immunocompromise involved - meaning the ability of your body to fight off infections. For example, speaking of myself being asplenic (no spleen), I experience exposure to allergen affecting my upper respiratory (such as molds, dust, etc) and if the concentration of exposure is bad enough, I will within a day develop a secondary infection. The trigger being allergy in my case. Additionally, some medications have the oh so not so wonderful effect of increasing vulnerability to infection.

I'd definitely bring this to the awareness of your doctor, and take pictures next time to show the progression from bite, to blisters, to draining like a running tap. So often, by the time we can get into the doctor the situation is mostly healed. Pictures are very helpful in that event.

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

eija

Thanks, girls, again.

I didn't have trouble with insect bites until since maybe ten years (or so) ago. As a kid the bites and stings behaved just "normally" on my skin.

I've been miserable with this stuff for almost the entire last week. Then one night I suddenly didn't itch! But one shouldn't rejoice too soon - this morning I woke up with two huge, hard, itchy lumps on my right foot. Like two marbles under my skin! One of them at the side of the ball of my foot. Especially that one has been getting bigger and more painful, both of them itching like crazy. I tried taking a nap in the afternoon, but had too much trouble with the itching and restless legs (which by the way felt like all the way inside me, it was n.a.s.t.y!)

Just now read the hint about tea bags - but I guess it's too late for that trick to help. I don't want to move or stay inside - or wait for 50 years! Sigh :(

I have had allergy tests several times, always negative, no matter what method was used. Yet the doctors say there's no doubt I'm allergic. One lab tech doing the prick test to me said it's weird how I got the strongest reaction from the control substance that shouldn't give any reaction.

My doctor knows about this, too. She's the one that gave me the antibiotic creme which I thought was helping a lot. Just that now it does nothing, and the same goes with the antihistamines :( I'm seeing her in three weeks the next time and try to remember talking about this, too. They're predicting a long warm autumn for us, so I guess the insect problem will prevail for a while still, too...

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Carolina

Oh Eija, YES you got a reaction from the control substance.  It's your basic immune system playing havoc with whatever is done to your body.

It isn't following the 'rules' of allergies because it isn't true allergies, it's just true Eija in all her individual glory!

I had the opposite result of allergy tests done several times when I was much younger.  I tested allergic to EVERYTHING!.  And of course I was NOT allergic to everything.  Peas?  Bananas?  No way.

I tested allergic to everything except eggs meat milk and peaches.  Now does that make any sense?

Even at 11 years of age I knew this just wasn't right.  Apples didn't make me sick.  Some dust and mites and leaves and trees, and some animals, but not most.

Anyway, the key is to treat your symptoms, stay away from BITES.  Take antihistamines.

I know you have horses and live an outdoor life...I can't advise.  I spent many years being miserable just the way you describe.

I had a few 'simple bites' that turned into agony each week.  And it went on that way for years.  Well it didn't kill me.  But.....

And now I have what I hope is the end of this flare.  I took Medrol yesterday, and today I feel better, but it's beginning to be a headache.  And even my teeth hurt, isn't that weird?

I'm getting that aching in my bones again....oh well.  I just keep trying.  Now it isn't insect bites, but Eija! 

It seems to  me that It is ALWAYS something.

We just have to deal with more....

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide