News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

muscle relaxor/anti-spasmodic best ones best luck?

Started by wendyoh, October 14, 2013, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendyoh

hey I had a thread about merits of flexeril but the side fx are starting to become more evident for me, darn!

I am curious if people could share their experiences of what they have had the best luck with for chronic pain--out of muscle relaxor category---anti-depressants and opiates I don't want to get into in this thread, not against them, but just want to find out more about this category of meds--including the following:
robaxin
skelaxin
chlorzoxazone (paraflex I think)
norflex
zanaflex
flexaril

lamictal--doesn't really fit in this category neatly but wondering if it worked that way for anyone, sort of scared that you dont seem able to lower the dose to a fraction easily as far as I know

and I don't need more info about baclofen, gabapentin nor soma....... but if you have had any luck with the above please share and please note if you are sensitive in general to meds but tolerated it well

thanks, hope I hear from people :) in a lot of pain and don't have a lot of good options but see doctor later this week to discuss
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Nancy60

My doctor put me on flexeril at first, but after I had back surgery I was put on robaxin and it worked so much better for me. I wasn't as groggy with it as I was with flexeril.  Haven't tried any of the others, but robaxin is good in my book. Everyone is different though.

Nancy

daisymae

My Rheumy putt me on flexeril due to my bad night twitching and jerking along with restless legs.   

I had horrible side effects almost immediately. While the twitching and jerking did subside I ended up after taking a gals dose once getting progressively weaker. Over the next 5 days I could move out of bed and cried when I had to do something as it was like there was nothing there to get me to function.

I immediately stopped the flexeril after a few days and instead tried extra calcium magnesium supplements. Night and day. Most of the night time twitching and jerking has stopped.

But my day time twitches and jerks (fasciculations) aren't affected. My neurologist said flexeril is a really potent drug. So I continue tests such as nerve conduction ones to see if all the fasciculations are caused by muscle or originate in the nerves. My muscle enzymes aren't elevated so its probably nerve. And I know there are meds out there like gabapentin and related drugs that might help get things improving. Including the severe muscle pain.

susanep

Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

lolokonoki

I used to take tizanadine, but I could only take it at night because an hour later I would be dead to the world.....shame though, it worked really well, at least I think it did, I was sleeping.
  Lolo
Primary Sjogrens, Lupus, RA, Fibromyalgia and Seizures too! Current Meds: Methotrexate, Cevimeline, Oxycontin, Baclofen, Folic Acid, Tizanidine, Oxycodone, Toperimate and Humiera

Gingersnap

I frequently get extremely achy and tender muscles especially in my shoulders, neck and back. It causes terrible headaches, sleeplesnes, etc. Zanaflex (tizanadine)has worked well for me with regards to this. I'm supposed to take 2-4mg per night but of course I have occurances during the day too and I can only take 1mg or I'll get way too tired. I guess that's one of the only cons, but at the same time its a pro. You can't take it when you need to be highly functioning but you do get good sleep when you are on it :) the other downfall is it makes my eyes even drier at night but I just deal with it,is worth it. Use extra drops.
37/F Dx sjs with lupus overlap, raynauds
Plaquenil,prednisone, gabapentin, cymbalta, zanaflex, evoxac, lidoderm patch, restasis

shay0425

In the beginning, I took flexaril but I would wake up with a hangover and want to sleep all the next day.  I am  now on Soma.