News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Trying to work this out n my mind.. anyone wonna help me?

Started by penelopeclark, April 28, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penelopeclark

Im trying to figure this out . what is going on with me.. Okay as most here Know I was being treated with pneumonia for four weeks. when the prednisone was gone the chest pain would come back. went to er and had a cat scan done. That morning before I left for er I took a 5 mil of prednisone and it took most of the pain away. I did the cat scan with out the dye because I was afraid of it. It showed that a lot of lynthnoids in my left lung were inflamed and enlarged. some in my right and some in my tummy. they made me an appointment for the cancer center the next day.  They wanted me to stay in hospital I was upset and wante dto go home. They game me a shot of morphine for pain and then oxies for at home. I went to the cancer center the next day. he told me my lungs were like he mentioned but he compared them to a xray I had in 2011 and that was clear. he said there are many reasons why the lynthnoids could b doing this and wanted to redo the redo the cat scan. but he anted me to doit with the dye this time. since I was scared he gave me a script for a antihistimen ( spelled wrong) and prednisone To take ever 6 hours before test he said it was a allergy blocker so I woulnt be afraid of allergy to the dye. and a new script for oxies for pain.
I came home and decided to cheat since the prednisone had always taking away the pain and swelling before I took one ( even though I was supose to wait till the appointment for the cat scan. felt great slept like a baby all night.   after two days of waiting I called to see why no one had called me with my appointment for the new cat scan. they said they said that they were waiting for the state to approve me for insurance and then approve the cat scan payment. I have to go get more script for oxies at their office tomorrow.  This respons well to prednisone. when its time for the cat scan I have to take 50 mil ever 6 hours. with ten mil Im almost normal  and can rake my lawn and do dishes with ressting. I figure 50 mil ill be able to paint the house roflol. we are hopeful I do not have cancer  what keeps messing in my mind is that one if it was cancer would it respond so well to prednisone? and I have had the bloated tummy thing since 2003 it comes and goes. has anyone been through this. Im trying to sort this all out. I hope for the best But I keep getting this feeling its not cancer and Im not sure if I am just wishful thinking this.  any thoughts from anyone?

ellenkerr

I'd love to help, but unfortunately I have no experience in this area :(  I hope you get to feeling better soon.  Like others who have helped me on this board , they advise trying not to worry too much until you know if you have anything you need to worry about.  I know its hard but it really saves a lot of energy ;D

irish

I am an old grandma with lots of autoimmune stuff plus a retired nurse. If it was me I would not take the prednisone except when they told me to. When you take the prednisone indiscriminately or without drs orders, you can screw up many of the results to tests. Prednisone is not a pain med, it is an anti-inflammatory. When we have autoimmune disease we are experiencing inflammatory processes in various parts of the body. The prednisone decreases the inflammation which decreases the pain, but it doesn't cure the problem. In fact, sometimes the tests we have will come back negative because of the prednisone.

With autoimmune disease of any kind we are at higher risk for lymphoma which is a cancer of the lymph nodes. There are many types of the lymphoma and cat scans, MRI's and often biopsies of the lymph nodes need to be done to determine if there is cancer and what kind it is. With all the inflammation in your body and the issues with the lymph nodes you do, indeed, need to get this checked out. There can sometimes be infections or other issues that can affect the lymph nodes, but this is nothing to put off.

I hope that they can get your insurance settled and that you can get this scan ASAP. Let us know how this goes. Irish


penelopeclark

he does want to do the biopsy as soon as the cat scan is done again. I can understand what you mean about the prednisone. I know how bad it can be my dad was on it for 47 years or so.  I took it mainly because i hadn't been able to sleep in days and I couldn't stand one more night in that dang rocking chair I needed sleep. one thing that really puzzles me is him givin me prednisone and a antihistamine to redo the cat scan again with the dye. I also worked as a nurse for a while and I have never heard of that being an allergy blocker. the antihistime I should be one normally because of my allergies but hadn't started taking yet because I was sick.. especially 5o mils of prednisone every 6 hours right up to test time from the time the appointment is set. since my dr told him that while treating me for pneumonia the prednisone had shrunk it and what not Im wondering f he isn't trying this larger dose and doing a comparison cat scan. I know im trying to rationalize this to death but when ya have fibe kids.. a grand kid.. a business.  a man who decided t move your wedding up because of this from aug to may 4th all to think about along with syblings , a mom and so on you start thinking what ya gotta do now while your able in case your do have cancer... strange thing to say but true.

irish

I know that they do the prednisone in increments prior to some scans with dye. Also, the benedryl. This may be a protocol that is used in MRI's with dye as I had some similar directions prior to MRI that I eventually didn't need to have. Soo, I have a lot of extra prednisone that I didn't need to use.lol

You sound like you have a lot on your plate. I hope that you are doing everything as simple as possible to save your energy and your mind. lol YOu know how it is to be sick and try to deal with all this stuff. Multitasking isn't as easy as it used to be. If I was getting married now with my health status I would sure as heck elope. I tried to talk our 3 boys into eloping cause it saves a lot of work and money but the brides to be weren't in favor of this. Go figure. Take care and good luck. Irish

CMNK12

Normally give prednisone, benadryl and zantac every 6 hours for a contrast allergy. Same thing as dye.  :)  CK

gurs

Yeah, I totally understand about the prednisone helping, but before testing to me, is not a good idea as someone posted this here too.
It might cut the inflammation down and then the tests wont pick it up? I also try to stay away from my beloved Motrin because of the same
thing...

Im also highly allergic to the dye contrast, and wont even consider it..I know alot of people do fine with the allergy prep, since Its very common. They are prepared for it I guess.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Skylar

I hope the insurance company okays your test quickly. I also hope they get to the bottom of this and treat it effectively so you can feel better and get some much needed sleep.

I'm another one recommending that you don't take prednisone without your Dr.s permission. I completely understand why you want to take it - I feel relief quickly too when it reduces inflammation - but it's not correcting the underlying medical issue.