News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

leg muscle tightness and tingling

Started by Winnie, April 17, 2012, 06:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnie

I am having a bout of lower leg muscle tightness/achyness/throbbing and tingling like you are pregnant and the baby is kicking and moving.  I have occasional popcorn feelings all over. My rhuemmy didn't say much about this and the symptoms definitely come and go like a flare but when I have them they contribute to my fatigue and are aggrevating to the point I feel like I could just drop to the floor with exhaustion.  They are worse at rest and I can barely function in the morning until I get a shower.  Is this part of sjogren's?  I am planning on taking 400mg of magnesium today to also help my bowels.  I hope it helps my legs. 

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

A66eyroad

Could it be a pinched nerve? This often happens to me if I sit "tailor style" for too long, or if I'm in a hard chair.

Popcorn feelings?!?  That's very descirptive!

I also think the mornings are the worst part of my day/
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Joe S.

Magnesium helped with my muscle cramps.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

mshistory

I get that throbbing sensation sometimes too - it's so annoying! I have no idea what causes it though. My leg muscles are really tight - might have something to do with the recent flare I've had with joint pain/inflammation affecting the hamstrings and calves, but it's finally starting to get a bit better. I had horrific leg cramping from low potassium and am on potassium supplements now - have you had your potassium levels checked?

Hope you find some relief soon!
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Winnie

Postassium level was checked last July and was within normal range.  I can't find whether they tested magnesium.  I took one pill of oxide today and experienced some rumbling and slight side pain.  Strange thing though, I didn't have any muscle fatigue this afternoon - coincidence? I called gastro and asked if I could take glycinate.  Nurse said discontinue all mag.  ???

I still get calls from my naturopath who wants me on a probiotic to start the parasite pill.  He said to take glycinate for muscles.  I told him my constipation was better since no milk or eggs.  He said probiotic would be better than magnesium at this point due to gut inflammation and allergies.  I am probably not absorbing nutrients very well. 

Too many opinionated doctors, too many decisions for me, not enough doctors that knows what to do. ::)

Winnie  :-\ 
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

mews

Nice to see Joe posting!!! Hope your feeling better!! :))

mshistory

Winnie, if your potassium level hasn't been checked since last July, I would have checked it again. It can decrease pretty quickly, especially if there are kidney issues - in November of 2011, my potassium was within the normal range. By February 2012, it was low. So in only three months, my potassium level dropped out of the normal range and I started getting awful leg cramps. Just something that might be worth mentioning to your doctor.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

KatieB

  Hi Winnie,

   I get this too, just like you described. For me, it can hit anywhere, legs, arms, hands, even in my back or abdomin. I've even had a toe or finger suddenly start bouncing up and down from the muscles compressing and releasing. I've had it for years, sometimes worse than others. Doctors have never seemed too concerned about it. It seems to get worse when I drink a lot of caffeine, or am over tired, it's kind of a horrible cycle. You can't sleep because of the awful feeling in you legs, but the less you sleep, the worse it gets. I told my doctor that it felt like my legs were bubbling!

  I had one doctor tell me to make sure to be really hydrated as that can make it worse. Mine gets bad when I'm flaring, my personal guess is that it has something to do with neuropathy, as my fingers and toes will often tingle and fall asleep, or become numb as well. It also just feels like the nerves are  irritated.

  Last time it got really bad I hadn't slept much in several nights and was miserable. My husband picked up some Tylenol PM and insisted I take it. It did help because it knocked me out and broke the cycle. I don't recommend it long term though because it's basically just benedryl and Tylenol, and diphenhydramine (benedryl) can cause dryness and restless leg issues to get worse, if you use it a lot. For a night or two, just to get a decent nights sleep it's been really helpful though.

  Sorry I'm not more help as I never figured it out either, and my magnesium and potassium have always tested okay as well! Good luck, if you ever figure it out please let me know! :D
Sjogren's, essential tremor, gerd, stage 3 kidney disease, h63d homozygous - elevated iron
Meds- plaquenil 400mg, predisone 10mg, sumatriptan succinate 100mg, famotidine 40mg, metoprolol tartrate 50mg, pantoprazole 80mg, methotrexate injections, various eye-drops and various vitamins

Winnie

mshistory - Following bloodwork is new to me.  I am now starting to realize how important it is to have copies of bloodwork.  My gastro does not follow through on follow up bloodwork.  I did not request a copy of my February bloodwork from my Rhuemmy.  I see her in May and will discuss vitamin levels along with my poor low white blood cell count.  I also have learned to request a copy to go to your primary and anyone who follows you.  My Feb. bloodwork didn't go to my gastro and my rhuemmy did a celiac and IBD panel??

Katieb - You are right, no sleep, worse symptoms.  I used to not require a lot of sleep.  Now I go to bed early and still feel tired when I get up.  This is new to me.  I use to always get up refreshed even if I only slept a few hours.  I think my symptoms are worse this month due to a flare, I cycle from dryness to fatigue and joint pain to wheezing and side pains to stomach problems and of course you have a monthly cycle which consists of crying, paranoid and depressed feelings. This month I can count on one hand the days of the old, healthy me.

Thanks, at least I am not alone on this one. :)

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances