News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Doctors

Started by Narablueeyes, January 19, 2012, 11:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narablueeyes

I read this blog back in 2010 and found it very helpful to at least see things from a doctor's perspective.

http://distractible.org/?p=3912

Here are just a few excerpts:

"But chronic unsolvable disease stands square in our way.  You don't get better, and it makes many of us frustrated, and it makes some of us mad at you.  We don't want to face things we can't fix because it shows our limits.  We want the miraculous, and you deny us that chance."


"6.  Don't put up with the jerks – unless you have no choice (in the ER, for example), you should keep looking until you find the right doctor(s) for you.  Some docs are not cut out for chronic disease, while some of us like the long-term relationship.  Don't feel you have to put up with docs who don't listen or minimize your problems.  At the minimum, you should be able to find a doctor who doesn't totally suck."


"You know better than anyone that we docs are just people – with all the stupidity, inconsistency, and fallibility that goes with that – who happen to doctor for a living.  I hope this helps, and I really hope you get the help you need.  It does suck that you have your problem; I just hope this perhaps decreases that suckishness a little bit."


Joe S.

The doctors need to understand that they are just human like everyone else. They are NOT gods! When I was programming, if there was a mistake I had to acknowledge it, take responsibility for it, and correct the problem. Since I was a one person shop, I could not blame it on anyone or anything else.

Tell them to get off their high horse (income) and do the job that they are being paid for or reduce their wage so people can afford them.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Cricket

I am sure I am in the minority here, but my gp doc is great.  Have had him for 35 years, if he has any doubt he will say so or say he does not know what is wrong and send you to someone who does.  My rhuemy is also tops!  I sometimes have problems with the docs I am sent to for second opions.  Also my gp does not slap you in the hospital unless last resort, he said they are very dangerous places.

I wish everyone here could find a dr like mine, my heart goes out to all who have to put up with so much crap from drs.
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

jazzlover

I don't keep sucky doctors! That's for sure, but I've met a few!! Sometimes I almost feel sorry for my GP (internal med) because I have so many problems and he wants to help me, but everything he tries usually fails. There truly are no answers to my health problems, for the most part .. as most of you also realize.

I realized one day how frustrating it must be to be a doctor who CARES and he/she is unable to help someone. He has way more patients than just me who he can't really help. Think of all the conditions there are no cures for.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease


irish

I think that those of us who have good doctors should just hang in there and keep them. Also, try to find a newer, better doctor as soon as possible.

The latest info out there says that many doctors are leaving their practice. They are at the end of their rope with the government regulations and find themselves in so much debt that they can't keep up with it.

I would not be surprised if they go out of the US to practice. There are some other countries who would be very happy to have our doctors. This is not the way it is supposed to be. The politicians had better try and get the medical system fixed or there will be a lot of them that won't get re-elected this fall. I was just sounding off. Please excuse me. Irish ;D

Seeker

 :o Doctors are human too.  Sometimes you just have to remind them of that.

Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

warmwaters

I posted this same article a while back - and agree with you that it's really worth getting into the head of the doctors. Not to excuse the bad ones, but have insight into how to work with the ones who want to try.

Thanks for posting it - I think it's insightful.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

LisaMarie

My GP isn't the most knowledgeable doctor.  However, he admits to what he doesn't know and will refer me to someone in his group that he feels would know.  His referral to my Rheumy has been spot on!  The young Rheumy knows his stuff it seems.  My next referral - Rectal surgeon.  Yuck.  Appointment in mid-February sometime.  Seriously, how can I like a rectal surgeon?  Only time will tell.  I guess if he fixes my issues, I'll like him.

I like working within a "group" such as Geisinger Medical Group because they communicate well together.  All of my records are in one computer data base.  Oh, the nurse at my Rheumy is amazing!  She is very good at making sure my personal data is up to date.  I can also get online to see my reports and updates.  I can communicate quickly with my doctors and they send a message back.  The longest I had to wait for a message back is probably a day.  Communication and referrals to the right people are very important to me.
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

reallyneedsanap

Hey Irish,
I am not so sure that many other countries would be happy to get many of the doctors that we hear about here!  LOL

I am among those that had to keep looking for some time, but have finally found a good  core group of my primary and specialists.