News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??

Started by CAT1962, August 28, 2011, 06:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAT1962

I am having a TIGHT time right now. My Plaquenil is is on the higher end of my insurance allowance. It's the generic, too. Do you think it would be okay to skip buying and taking it until Thursday?? I would take my last dose, until then, today SUNDAY evening....

CAT...(Thanks, and Sorry to be so silly...I've never had to do this before)

anita

Your doctor would be best to advise, but plaquenil has a half life of 60-90 days so it won't leave your system during the short peroid you'll be off.  Personally, I think you'll be fine.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

waterbby100

I get my Plaquenil at Sam's club and it costs me $4 for a months worth. I think that it would be the same at Walmart too. From what I understand about Plaquenil is it takes a long time to build up in your system and a long time to get out of your system.

Boy I sure understand the financial hardships....I hope it passes quickly for you.

Kimber

Nancy60

Plaquenil has a generic (Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate) that is inexpensive.  another poster mentioned Sams Club and Walmart's $4 prescriptions and I think other stores have this now too (Target, Walgreens etc...)  check the stores in your area, many of them do this now.

My Pharmacy sold me a weeks worth of a med to tide me over until I got paid and could get the remainder of the prescription. 

Plaquenil does stay in your system for quite awhile, but best to double check with your doctor.

Nancy

Sooki

Most pharmacists will sell you a very small amount to last a few days.  My pharmacist (at Costco) always offers this when I start a new med, especially if it's expensive. 
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

Plaquenil is one of the meds you can stop without tapering down from it and you are unlikely to notice a difference between a Sunday and  Thursday. I've been told to stop it a couple of times when i've been given antibiotics and have always managed to stop and start without difficulty.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

gurs

just hope it doesnt send you into a flare...ask the pharmacist if they can extend a few?

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

bigb00

sometimes i get sick with the flu or something and dont take plaquenil for a few days / a week because it's just a waste, doesn't send me in a flare and i haven't noticed a difference