News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Nosebleeds

Started by Mr. Duffy, December 31, 2010, 02:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Duffy

r. Duffy, a white Scotty) is my dogs name. I'm a a 63 year old Grandmom. i have three sons, one that lives with me, 2 grandsons and one granddaughter. I've had SjS for at least 23 YEARS. I also have Fibromyalgia and chronic pericarditis. I had a pericaredial window surgery 10 years ago. I have been on prednisone (2 or 3 mgs) ever since the surgery. I an always in pain somewhere in my body. I've had vertigo for a couple of years, fainted once. Had several CT scans. Had another one 12-29 of my sinuses. My ENT will get the results 1/3/11. I been having chronic nosebleeds. They scare me to death. I have had cauterization done several times on my nose, but the nosebleeds keep coming back. I use a humidifier and AYR gel constantly. I'm so careful with my nose. I'm afraid of my nose, isn't that crazy? Does anyone else have this problem? I also have digestive problems, neuropathy, Raynard's, dry eyes, mouth sinus problems, TMJ, sleep problems, painful joints, bladder and heart problems. Are you tired of me yet? I'm so glad that I found SjS World. What a wonderful place to visit with a chronic disease. Hugs to all .  :( :(

Joe S.

Mr. Duffy, welcome. A White Scottie or Westie? We used to have Westies. This time of year seems to bring on the nose bleeds. It sounds like you are doing every thing that you can to take care of your nose. Some of us have posted what we are taking in our signature to help others.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

Hi Mr Duffy  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world. I have to admit I've never had a nose bleed but since using Nasonex for post nasal drip - there is blood in the tissue every time I blow my nose.

My Dad suffered from bad noesbleeds. He had to be hospitalised for at least one - so I know how serious they can be.  Someone else may have an answer that is more useful.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Jozee

I suffer with nosebleeds but not quite as severe as yours sound but they are quite often. I find if I put a little vasaline on a q-tip and wipe it around the inside of each nostril it helps to keep tit from bleeding. My doctor said the nose lining is thin and it dries out and bleeds easy. Sometimes I think it will never stop!

cremer

Hello and welcome to Sjogrens World.

I'm new here and found it a perfect place to talk and meet fellow sufferers.

I have a white Westie called Nelson, lovely breed of dog, one of the best.

Pisces24

 I know one way nosebleeds can occur is if your blood is too thin or thick. My mom had high bp and whenever she got a nosebleed, she needed her med upped. Has that been ever checked out with you?

I am wondering if your dry nasal passages could be helped with sinus flushing? I use the Netti Pot which is basically a small bottle with a hole in the top I fill with distilled water & sea salt and squirt in my nose. I really helped me cut down on sinus infections doing that.

Good Luck!

sassytoo

Mr. Duffy- Hi, I am Elaine from North Dakota. I have severe nose bleeds like you. I have also came on here for answers. One night my nose bled for 9 1/2 hours so I went to emergency room in the morning as it was still bleeding , waited in the ememergency room for another 1/2 hour and then it quit. I never did see anyone other then the admitting people. I get anytime and anyplace. Sometimes in the shower, sometimes in the middle of the night. sometimes just walking or sitting. I also have alot of other health issues besides my sjogrens, but I think it all stems from the sjogrens. I sure hope you can find some answers.

anita

I'm on blood thinners so nosebleeds are something I have some experience with.  Sometimes they would occur several times a day for hours at a time...really annoying to say the least.  I tried everything from ice (yes taking small pieces and carefully placing them inside the nostrils) to pressure.  I'm sure there were times I should have gone to the ER to have it cauterizes, but I'm a it stubborn when it comes to ER's.

The nose spray (like Afrin or Sinex) does help if you do it right away.  These nose sprays constrict blood vessels (how they open the nasal passage) so help to close off smaller vessels.  Larger ones of course need to be cauterized.

Hopefully your ENT can help find a more permanent solution for you.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran