News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Gastroparesis and Fiber Supplements

Started by ohiolady, September 16, 2010, 11:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiolady

Is it safe to take Citrucel tablets when you have gastroparesis?    I'm just thinking fiber moves through the GI tract slowly and don't need anything to slow it down.  I don't really like Miralax and sometimes stool softeners are not enough.  I eat Activia yogurt, Danactive probiotics and eat Fiber One for breakfast.

Thanks for you help.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

cmclien

Citrucel is soluble fiber so it just adds a gelatinous substance by picking up water that helps people with IBS (both C or D) for sure.  Insoluble fiber moves through your GI tract faster and picks up nothing on the way.  Neither of them is absorbed by your body but really aid in the overall digestion from beginning to end.

I'd ask your doc about the gastroparesis just to be safe.  I think I may have it too but never have been tested for it, yet another doctor to go see. 

With citrucel or any fiber supplement I'm sure you know start small, like only one pill with a glass of water at the start or with each meal.  Then after a number of days or a week increase that amount.  I started back on it two days ago and can already tell the difference and its the only fiber supplement out there that doesn't cause me uncomfortable bloating!
Cindi


ohiolady

Thanks, Cindi.  I did ask my gastroenterologist and she thought I could try and see.  I just don't want to upset the applecart  Ugh, some of the things I used to take for granted.


Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

anita

I'd be interested in hearing if this helps.  Keep us posted please. 
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

ohiolady

Anita,

If you haven't tried it then I'm not sure I want to.  You've had gastroparesis for a number of years.  I may just stick with what I'm doing.  I alternate stool softeners, Miralax and Phillips Magnesium caplets. 

We will see if anyone else comes along with advice.

Thanks,

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

anita

What you're doing now is about the best combination I've found so far.  Not that there isn't something better...I just haven't found it yet.  I have not tried the citracel before, though.

Have they checked your enzymes (pancreatic)?    If you still have lots of discomfort, I wonder if more then one thing is going on. 
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

irish

Anna, I guess I would be very cautious when starting metamucil or citracel or any of these type products. Make sure that you drink a lot of fluid. Even people with normal colon activity can get into trouble with sort of getting blocked because of not enough fluid.

When people don't take enough fluid as the citracel moves through the colon the water is absorbed and this can cause the fiber to become very dry. If your doc said ok then you at least have permission. It would be wonderful to be able to have some type of fiber on board to help make the stool more formed bug finding the happy medium could be hard to achieve. Good luck either way. Irish ;D

cmclien

I read you need to take 6-8 oz water with all of them.  You prob wouldn't eat high fiber food without water either.  But I thought with gastroparesis often you are not allowed to eat fiber at all?  Is that true?  Does it depend on how severe it is?  if thats the case prob not a good idea.

They are a food supplement unless they are advertised as a laxative.  Apparently they cannot be advertised as both so some advertise themselves as laxatives and others as food supplements.  The food supplement companies say they can be taken every single day as a fiber substitute.

And I don't know why it is but I can eat all the fiber rich foods in the world and nothing seems to help with the constipation yet if I even take a little pill before each meal with a glass of water which is maybe a gram of fiber, it makes all the difference in the world!  go figure.
Cindi

ohiolady

Cindi,

You are supposed to avoid high fiber foods but I do eat fiber cereal for breakfast because I need some fiber in my diet.  I take Domperidone which helps to move food through the stomach.  So far, I've done fine with the bowl of cereal and it does help.   

Well, there is always good old prune juice.  :)

Thanks everyone.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Daisy1234

With all of us gastroparesis sufferers, we have to be extra careful with the fibre intake.

In my case I do eat lots of fiber, under my gastroenterologist's supervision, but I try to spread it out throughout the day.  Normally I eat between 30 to 40grams of fiber a day and that does make things go better in the bathroom department.  With gastroparesis you do have to be careful not to create Bezoars by eating so much fiber, but since I have really bad IBS with major constipation issues, my gastro advised me to increase the fiber in my diet and it has improved the situation for me.

I eat a 1/2 can of cooked beans in tomato sauce for lunch everyday along with fiber 1 cereal for breakfast and vary the other fibre rich food items to total about 30 to 40grams of fibre daily.  As well, I add to my daily regime, 2  X 250mg tablets of magnesium sulfate and 1 tablet of 900mg of Omega 3's along with other vitamins.

As long as I am taking sufficient amounts of the medicine, Domperidone, I can keep things limping along in the right direction for some of the time anyways.
Daisy

cmclien

Quote from: Daisy1234 on September 17, 2010, 01:05:27 PM
As well, I add to my daily regime, 2  X 250mg tablets of magnesium sulfate and 1 tablet of 900mg of Omega 3's along with other vitamins.
I have found magnesium to be a miracle for constipation for myself.  My primary care doctor at the time mentioned it to me.  Its a natural supplement, most people are short on it, it brings water into the bowel kinda like a stool softener.  I take about 1,000mg a day right now.  She told me its hard to get too much but you'll know if you do because it will give you diarreah which I've never had.  I have found some 400mg soft gels at costco that go down so much easier even though they are large.  I used to feel like I would almost choke on the powdery mag oxide capsules.  I have taken the oxide and the citrate and they both seem to work fine.

I believe there are some illlnesses that require you to watch your magnesium intake so people should ask their doctor first but what I like about it, its not a drug, our bodies need it, there are zero side effects other then possibly taking too much and getting diarreah for a day. 

Just a side note, it is NOT the same ingredient in Milk of Magnesia which is a laxative.