News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Possible Scleroderma w/ my Sjogrens?

Started by Woolygimp, September 16, 2010, 09:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolygimp

Some quick background, I'm a 24 year old male that began having autoimmune problems when I was 18. I've been diagnosed with both Sjogren's and Celiac disease.

One of my worst symptoms that began when I got sick was extreme dryness on my face. My skin everywhere else is completely fine, but from my chin to my forehead my skin is usually swollen, puffy, dry.
I usually have to moisturize 4+ times a day, and often the moisturizer isn't that effective.

The skin is being dried out from the inside out. I can feel "tightness" under the skin. Often times, my skin will be moisturized on the outside (which won't last long) but It feels like the muscles and skin underneath the skin are very tight, and I can feel every facial expression I make as I move my muscles; whether it to be to smile or talk.

I always assumed it was the Sjogren's attacking my skin, especially the skin close to my salivary glands/eyes.... and that it was just swollen/inflammation, but now I'm not so sure. There is also a small degree of redness on my face, but no itching.

Sometimes my skin is fine, loose, and moves good and I don't feel it. Sometimes even without moisturizer; but when I'm "flaring" the puffiness/dryness returns.

The texture of the skin, after I moisturized, sometimes feels "thick and swollen" and sometimes it feels normal. I haven't noticed any leathery skin or Raynauds, though.

It's mainly affecting my cheeks too, I've always had a somewhat small mouth but I have no problem opening and closing it.

Does this sound like Scleroderma? If I do have it, and the disease goes into remission will my face return to normal or is damage done permanent?
I'm beginning some pretty hopeful therapies for my autoimmune problems, one being helminthic therapy, and I'm hopeful that it'll regulate my immune system.

Here's a random picture of me, I don't think my face was that swollen at the time but ... I often here that I look much younger than I am.

http://yfrog.com/7eimg1017hbj

... but the dryness on my face is never a good thing.

Just wondering if tissue damage is permanent or not.

Also, since I'm posting this on a Sjogren's forum, how many of you guys have facial swelling?  Not of the glands, but the skin itself... like an ongoing inflammation that causes dryness?

Babs659

Could it actually be swollen parotid glands?  I know Billydude has experience with that.

If I'm not mistaken, scleroderma would show up in your specialized autoimmune bloodwork....

matildajo

I've got the puffy face, sometimes it worse than others.  Most recent blood work points toward scleroderma (centromere pattern for the last two tests).  Rheumy says she isn't ready to make a definitive diagnosis.  Been seeing her for 1-1/2 years, and she's always said I had overlapping symptoms...sjogrens, lupus and now scleroderma.  Besides my face being puffy at times, all my skin is really dry.  My fingers change color slightly when cold, but not to the extreme that I've read about.  I just can't stand to get cold.  Don't feel like I ever get warm until summer.  I really don't feel the tightness you describe, but I scar easily, and I have a couple of nodules under the skin. 

gurs

I think scleroderma tends to be very, very tight?

I have your kind of issues..think it may just be the sjogrens going nuts..inflammatory Im guessing.

Im also taking around 20mg a day of steriods for the last year, and having menopausal issues so im assuming that is where
my puffy, swollen face is coming from...i guess thyroid and allergies can cause this as well..

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements