News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Disability

Started by Reanne, June 09, 2010, 07:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reanne

I contacted a lawyer to see if they feel I would be disabled enough to qualify for SSDI.  It is sort of scary.  I am not sure how to tell my employer.  I am off work until August 9.  I would like to be able to use some of my accumulated sick time and my accrued annual time, but I have worked there 15 years and do not want to leave the company in a bind.  I hope I am doing the right thing.

warmwaters

It's tough, but the bottom line comes down to what you need. If it's not really feasible to work, you need to take care of yourself, even though it  will have an impact on your employer.

It sounds like you are very conscientious, and that's very admirable, but if you can't do your work, then you really need to take care of yourself.

Best of luck as you work on this.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

LeoLady

Reanne:    I submitted my resignation to my employer about a year and a half ago.  After being home for a month or so, I felt so much better - less fatigue, stress, eye dryness improved, etc. - that I decided to file for unemployment to find something either part time or easier than what I had been doing as a project manager for "the" telecom company.  So far though I haven't had any luck.  I was also on FMLA for 2 years prior to resigning.  Even though I was getting raises, my salary decreased those 2 years as I was missing so much work with flares and episodes of IBS and carpal tunnel.

I was fortunate to have an HR guy who was understanding and helpful throughout the process.  It was very difficult, but if I wasn't there, someone else had to cover my clients and projects and that made me feel really guilty.  My health and understanding the burden I placed on my co-workers were the deciding factors in my decision to resign.

At this stage, I doubt I can or will find employment, so I'm going to go to a local attorney that has an excellent record of success in SSD claims.  I am worried as I haven't been to a neuro for my PN or seen my ophthalmologist for over a year and wonder if that might hurt my chances.  My GP and rheumy have me on a good regimen that's working pretty effectively for now. (see my info)

Up until I resigned, I had worked my entire adult life and really struggled at first.  Now I have better acceptance of what I can and can't do and have found peace with not working outside our home.  My rheumy is super supportive and says she'll do whatever it takes when I file for disability.  You may want to look up all the prior posts on this site to see other's experiences.  I found it really helpful.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

LeoLady

Billydude

Thats always a difficult transition because you won't quality for SSDI unless you aren't working and most can't afford to just quit their jobs and wait the possible one to two years before they receive an answer from SSDI.  The system is really screwy.

LeoLady


Carolina

AMEN (again)

My sister was severely disabled (quadriplegic).  She returned to school and got a degree in Accounting.

But she could  never afford to take a job, because she would lose so many benefits, and needed to make a LOT of money to equal all of the benefits she would lose.

And if she LOST her job, it would take years to get all those benefits back.

the systems are all screwy, in spades.

Trying to survive with Medicare as my insurance, and so many doctors do NOT want me as a patient because of the constant reduction in benefits.

I KNOW the system is screwed up, but reducing the payments to my doctors isn't going to solve the problem of the system.

Sigh.

Oh well

Trying to stay in the moment.

Carolina
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

syng4hym

I also agree that the system is screwed up.  I work full time but am BARELY functioning right now.  It's been a good 6 months since I felt decent.  I'm so sleepy all day, the fatigue is terrible, the muscle pain is so bad and the joint pain is too.  I should be a candidate for disability but because I'm working I can't get it.  I can't afford to NOT work because I'm single, so what do I do?  Do I quit my job and move in with my parents?  How could I do that to them in their 70's.   I honestly don't know what to do.  To be quite honest, I work for a company who works for another company as contractors and our contract is coming up for renewal and I'm praying it doesn't so I can get unemployment and apply for disability.  Doesn't that just stink?  Isn't it sad to be hoping to lose your job so you can get disability?  It shouldn't be that way. 

Reanne

syng4hym,

I am so sorry about your situation.  I hope it all works out for you.

syng4hym

Thank Reanne.  I'm sure there are tons of people on this board who are in the same situation as me.  It's just a really bad place to be in.  Maybe one day the system will be different.  Hope you get your disability, I really do.