News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering...

Started by Camille, February 24, 2010, 06:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camille

Hello. I'm Camille and very new to this place. My mother, great aunts and second cousin have all been diagnosed with sjogrens (one of my great aunts was also diagnosed with lupus because of her sjogrens). I have read that sjogrens can be hereditary so I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on whether or not I should be on the look out for it right now. I'm only twenty, but have seen in these boards that there are some younger than me being diagnosed. I haven't really been able to cry and have dry eyes and skin for a while. So should I bring these complications up or should I even be on the lookout? Any advise would be great.

Bernice

Hey Camille,

WELCOME!

As I read you post I could help but wonder what exactally brought you here to a site about Sjogrens? Were you in search for information for your family or yourself? I did notice your questions, but the reason I'm still unclear is, you are just curious or are you experiencing dry eyes to the point that they alert you that something must be up or are you spending time in fear for yourself because of your family history?

Well the thing is reguardless you need to be tested simply because of your family history with Als and by all means do mention to doctors all things that seem strange. But by all means don't spend time in worry, enjoy your life, if you must deal with it in the FUTURE then deal with it THEN, especially if you don't have it NOW!

Camille

I found this website because I was looking up the symptoms and just general information about the syndrome. Since it runs in my family I figure I need to be familiar with it especially since my mother has been diagnosed with it. Which got me to wondering if I should be looking out for any symptoms or if I was too young for them to show up or for me even to worry about it yet. I read a post earlier where someone said they could not cry and it made me realize I  am also unable to cry.

Bernice

Well that's a smart thing to do, just to be on the safe side, I've explained to my daughter some of the things to look out for, but I am protective of her not being frighten with worry so I don't overload her with too much. It helps that she is not in the same state with me, but we have contact enough that I feel sure she would share with me most anything strange she may experience. I want her to enjoy life, just as I suggested to you.

Back to your eyes, the lack of tears is something that should be looked into by your doctors. At least you have your mom and other family members that you can talk to and share with understanding, most of don't have that.

Please get yourself checked out, it may be that you have a mild case, meaning only involving your eyes, you didn't mention any other ailments.

Peace & Be Blessed!
Bernice

louise

I think I had this darn stuff even as a child. I always had lots of leg pain that could not be explained. I had bladder problems that were treated as infections even though none was present. I have always had very painful periods to the point of staying in bed for the first two days. Now when it is close to my period and during that time my symptoms are much worse. I did not have dry eyes or mouth until last 6-8 months ago. So for me that was one of my last symptoms. I would check it out though if I were you .It sure can't hurt.
primary sjogrens, adderall xr, diclofenac ,vitamin d3, percocet, b12,b6, omega3, ibuprofen, protonix, voltaren gel, lots of sugarless gum and candy.

eyeamdry

Camille, Bernice gave you some good advice.  You really shouldn't look for trouble.  It won't have any trouble finding you.  Really, as you're young have fun and know you'll have later in life to worry about lots of things.  There is no way of knowing if any or all of this will hit any one person.

In my family, my daughter became ill and was diagnosed with Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes at athe age of 27.  At the same time, she had Graves Disease and had to have her thyroid out.  I wish all that stuff had happened to me.

Well, I didn't know it until 3 years ago and about 10 years after my daughter's diagnosis of autoimmune diseases that I had Sjogrens and then a couple of years later fibromyalgia.  So, we are all over the place with the youngest getting it first.

My parents died young and we never knew a lot of their history and diseases, but I have recently been talking with a cousin a couple of years older than me and she has fibro and RA and has a lot wrong with her.  I believe she and I probably have the same genes.  My daughter too, unfortunately.  My cousin does not have children.  This seems to be a mostly female disease, but we do have a fair amount of fellows on here.  Some of them are sort of well, funny.