News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

neck and throat discomfort

Started by susanr, June 09, 2009, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susanr

Hi - Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have lots of swelling,pain, discomfort in my saliva glands (cheeks, lips, and under chin). Now also increasing pain in my neck and throat, jaw pain, swollen glands, ears blocked and ringing, stabbing pains, sometimes feels like my throat could close up or like I am being strangled, it's very wierd. Swallowing is more difficult, all the dry symptoms too. I am on plaquenil and started weekly methotrexate injections. I know these take a while to work, been on the plaquenil since Oct, started methotrexate a month or so ago. I have alot of other symptoms (fatigue, joint pain, digestive sytem issues, Raynauds etc) and they are investigating maybe another autoimmune thing going on. For now I am wondering since this is getting so bad whether it's just the new normal, if you know what I mean! I am rather new to this (dx last fall). My rheumatologist said he has one other patient with these sort of symptoms. I am feeling a little overwhelmed, trying to stay working full time.
Any of this sound familiar?
Thank you so much.

Wynter

Susan,

I am experiecing the exact same thing. The insides of my lips hurts especially when I chew or rub them together. The back of my throat and underneath my tongue also hurt all the time. Sometimes when it gets really bad I have to take Tylenol. My gums hurt all the time also. Very painful.


Dolly Dimples

 Susan , there are many of us here with mouth issues due to the dryness, but It seems you have been given a double whammy!

   I am paranoid with keeping my mouth clean, no sweet things  ( well, now & again)
  after each meal, brush my tongue gently with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste that has no laurelate sodium,
every time my mouth feels coated, I gargle with salt & water.  I use Oralbalance mouth gel at night ,. sometimes during the day too!
     Drink water too.. I do hope you and Wynter get to see someone who can help you both. Please let us know.   Dolly

seren


Hello Susan,

sounds like your having a rough times of things, bless you.  I just got my diagnosis and am coming to terms with it all.  I too suffer with lots of problems in my face, only slight swelling in the salivary glands and lymph nodes but very painful, also pain along my jaw bone and earache.

I sometimes have difficulty swallowing.  I have hypothyroidism and I have been having an intermittent feeling of a lump coming up either side of the thyroid (not at the same time tho) and also a feeling like pressure on my windpipe  ??? the GP said everything seems ok, but obviously something is going on  ::) (again)  if you have a thyroid condition perhaps its related?  It must be very difficult working full-time with all this going on..I admire you!

Take Care
Paula  ;D