News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Fun with a new doctor

Started by kathyl, June 09, 2009, 03:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathyl

I had to get a new primary care doctor due to insurance reasons.  I saw him today for the first time.  We went over all my Sjogren's related problems and the many medications I need to take to function.  We discussed the gastroparesis and how I had just lost 30 pounds and fainted 2 weeks ago and broke a rib.  Then he said, "Yeah, but you look great."  He said he wished he could lose some weight.  I told him maybe he could get an autoimmune disease with neuropathy and have a stomach that doesn't work and lose weight too.  He said he would pass on that.  I said I wished I could have passed on it too.  I miss my old doctor.  Just needed to vent.
KL

Shari

Hi...I think we are at the same place.  I had a fill in PCP while waiting for my new one to arrive...VERY BAD !!  I have seen my permanent PCP once and due to see her again in August.  So far so good! 

I do believe in speaking your mind...like saying....." I need a bit of understanding here not dismissal of how difficult it is to live with my illnesses."

Sometimes hard to do that tho....I hope that consecutive visits are better for you..take good care

missyb


Fairy

I think I would be finding ANOTHER Dr. What a jerk! Were do you live? Maybe one of us is close to you and already have a good one.

Patze

Yikes!  Where do they get these doctors from?  He wishes he could loose weight too?  Is he for real? ::)  Dang.


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

DragonflyC

I just try to remember that I've stuck my foot in my mouth a million times, and doctors are just people, too.  Let's hope that your doctor went home kicking himself over that comment.  That said, I have a few stories of doctors with what my mom calls "foot in mouth disease," too.

I got sick when I was 28 with a severe arthritic reaction to my hypothyroidism, but I never gained much weight from it.  I then lost a ton of weight when I developed pneumonia soon after, leaving me super skinny.  My hair got really long b/c I didn't have the energy to get it cut.  When I saw my GP's partner about breathing issues (that later turned out to be pleurisy) a few months later, he just kept saying, "But you look GREAT!"  While I was young, thin, and had long, thick hair, I wasn't feeling anywhere near as good as I looked. 

A year or two later, my hair started falling out. I've always had a ton, so it didn't really show.  When I went to the dermatologist, his first words were, "Why are you here?" (in a super snotty tone).   

I also liked when my gyno started an appointment with, "So how've you been," and cut me off after I said, "Not great," with, "I mean your health."  I blame other patients for that one (I'm sure they talk her ear off), but yeah, I meant my health.  She was embarrassed when I said, "Yes, of course.  I've been diagnosed with Sjogren's."

lesmom

Can you say bedside manners? Geez! I would try and find a new doctor if possible. I had to go to a different town a little over an hour away to find my current PCP. It was worth the drive. My old doctor was nice, but so laid back and really didn't think I had anything wrong. Don't be afraid to say "hey, this ISN"T working!"

Good luck and hugs to you!
Leslie

gsmraxe

Your Dr was probably trying  to keep the mood light, but I don't blame you for what you said.  I might not have been so nice.  Let him complain to his friends...not his patients.

lynnmarie219

Hi Kathy,

Vent away....it does wonders! ( I know ... ;) ).

Anyway, like Dragonfly said....Let's hope that your doctor went home kicking himself over that comment and it was just  a case of not thinking before speaking. If it keeps happening when you go back though, then I would re think it if I want him as my regular doc......but hopefully it was a no brainer moment and wont happen again!




kathyl

Thanks for all of the feedback.  He probably was trying to keep it light, and he probably did go home kicking himself.  At least he did not suggest that maybe I was depressed.  That is usually the deal breaker for me.  "You are tired because you are depressed."  He has other SJS patients, thought I was on the right meds and my symptoms were reasonably under control and did not offer me antidepressants or tell me to drink Ensure.  He will do.
KL